What's new

Can you speak more then one languages

Brandon

Legend Of The Universe
PF Member
Reaction score
How many languages can you speak?
For me it's just the one, English. I did take a few Spanish classes in school, so I can count to 10 in Spanish, but that's about it..lol

The Dutch people are known for their languageskills, probaly because our language is way too difficult for foreigners. ;)
My kid, almost 5, gets English on school already.

But now me.
I can speak English pretty well, German I can manage myself in. French I can understand pretty good, but to speak is a bit harder. Same for Spanish although speaking it is terrible. And ofcourse American! :p

I've always wanted to learn Italian. Maybe someday.....

i know only english language but want to learn spanish language..

I speak English and Spanish. English is my native language, and I've studied Spanish in school since I was 13 years old. I've continued studying Spanish through college, and I have an advanced knowledge of it now. I don't speak it quite like a native, and it's not as second-nature to me as English, but my Spanish is pretty good, and I only have a slight accent. Native speakers are often surprised. Since I am ending college in the fall, I would love to find a way to keep my skills up- boyfriend is a native speaker, but he will really only speak English to me lately! Because he wants to better his English. Pooo. Maybe I can use my old college workbook to keep up.

I speak only German and English. German is my native language, and English was my first foreign language in school. I also had Latin and French in school, but I remember only very little of that, since I rarely use those languages. I also tried to learn Japanese a number of times, without much success. ;)

p.s.: I also would like to learn Korean (esp. South Korean) and Chinese, but Japanese is perhaps still the easiest of the Asian languages to learn ... South Korean has an interesting writing system (Hangul) :)

Well I can speak English, Hindi, Konkani, Kannada and Tulu, other than Hindi and Engish the rest are regional languages. It may be surprising but here in my city Mangalore almost everyone know to speak these languages.

I speak more then one language.
i speak English, Urdu and Punjabi.

Hi)
I speak English, Russian a little, German
but my favorite language is Lithuanian, its not my native language but i love it very much.

Wow, you guys speak some interesting languages!
I was thinking of picking up a third language, but I'm not really sure which one I'd like to take up. Learning a new alphabet sounds fun to me, too.
Any suggestions on a language that is not overwhelmingly difficult for a native English speaker to learn? Hindi or something sounds like fun (I like Bollywood films, so learning a little would be great), but I'm still not sure about what language to take up-- not fluently, but a working knowledge would be nice- not necessarily something I would be using all the time, either.

Well Hindi is quite easy to to pick, I learned to speak it by watching Hindi movies with english subtitle.

Well, I can speak English quite well :) and a bit of French. I'd like to start learning Italian and ... Chinese. I want to visit these countries in the nearest future. And I want to do without an interpreter.

I speak fluent English and semi-fluent Spanish (I lived in Chile for 5 years of my early childhood, so am technically a native speaker of both, since I learned both at once). I'm also marginally conversational in Japanese; I took a year of it, and am currently in Japan on a language summer-school program, which has been very helpful, especially speaking informal Japanese.

After my Japanese skill is up to a good level (maybe another 2-3 years), I'm planning on learning another language, though I'm not sure which. French or Italian would make a really easy 4th language, so I'm considering one of those.

Well I was force fed French for 8 years of my life, and I can speak it ok at times. But not like I should be able to. I try to learn bits and pieces of other languages. I have a friend who is Irish, and to make her smile I have learned a couple Irish sayings. But, if your not using it all the time its hard to learn and keep a new language. I guess I am just stuck with English.

I am a full-fledge polyglot nowadays.
I can speak most of these semi-fluently to fluently: German, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Icelandic, Faroese, Finnish, Spanish, Italian, Arabic, Tagalog, and Japanese.

I can still speak a little French and Russian, which I plan to become fluent in.

Wanting to learn Korean, Chinese, and Dutch here also to add to my arsenal of languages.

I pretty much need to know a lot of these languages because in my field of science communication is of the essence to correspond with other scientists especially if I go to conferences around the globe. We can't always expect them to speak English for us.

I am a full-fledge polyglot nowadays.
I can speak most of these semi-fluently to fluently: German, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Icelandic, Faroese, Finnish, Spanish, Italian, Arabic, Tagalog, and Japanese.

I can still speak a little French and Russian, which I plan to become fluent in.

Wanting to learn Korean, Chinese, and Dutch here also to add to my arsenal of languages.

I pretty much need to know a lot of these languages because in my field of science communication is of the essence to correspond with other scientists especially if I go to conferences around the globe. We can't always expect them to speak English for us.

Wow, amazing! How long did it take you to pick up all these languages?
And you're absolutely right in your last statement- Americans should never just expect everyone to know English. People will always appreciate the effort and knowledge of their language from non-native speakers as well.

Back