What's new

Canada launches mass anti-terror sweep

G

Saturday, June 3, 2006; Posted: 8:03 a.m. EDT (12:03 GMT)

(CNN) -- Federal and local authorities staged a major counterterrorism sweep in the Toronto area, arresting at least 10 people, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said on Saturday.

Armed police surrounded the Durham Regional Police Station in Pickering, east of Toronto, as unmarked vehicles carrying the suspects headed into an underground garage.

The Globe and Mail newspaper in Toronto said the operation "appeared to be the most concerted such sweep in Canada since the terrorist attacks in the United States on September 11, 2001."

The initial arrests were made on Friday, and more were expected through the night, police spokeswoman Cpl. Michele Paradis told CNN.

The sweep was a joint operation involving most of the police forces in the Toronto area, she said.

Federal agencies including border and intelligence agents worked with the police under the auspices of the Integrated National Security Enforcement Team, Paradis said.

She could not confirm a report that the arrests involved an explosives plot in the province of Ontario.

Such anti-terror operations in Canada are rare. It's not clear if the sweep is related to a raid in east London Friday, one of the largest there since the London transit bombings in July. That raid was carried out with the help of police and Britain's domestic spy agency, MI5.
[Read More] http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/06/03/canada.terror/index.html

Canadian police say they have foiled a major "al Qaeda-inspired" bomb plot against targets in and around Toronto.

Like Carol Anne says in the movie "Poltergeist" - "They're heerrre!"

not really. It's probably more likely to be just a PR stint really.

Like I told you before, Black it is just a matter of time and boooom! O ye of little faith. The day is drawing near and it is inevitable that a Muslim radical group will strike on Canadian soil. Take your head out of the sand and look around. Canada is not immune to these extremists.

Too bad that the States had to learn the hard way. The kicker in it was that the hijackers were trained to pilot planes by American instructors.

I think they should go back to what happened to the Japanese after the attack on Pearl Harbor. Round up the Muslims and keep them in a camp until this war on terror is over.

I like that idea, personally I am for turning the Middle East into a big sheet of glass. This goes to show you that no nation is safe from terrorism.

Canadian's are in just as much danger as American's when it comes to terrorism. Unfortunately, not a lot of Canadians see that. It is not important enough to be a major concern. I also don't think it tops my list of things to worry about, but perhaps it should. I don't think this is enough of a wake-up call, and unfortunately, a lot of people won't have their opinions swayed on this issue until something really bad happens.

I live in New York and I don't worry about terrorism much. I just don't expect it but I know it can happen at any time. You can't really worry about it or the terrorist win.

bad_habit said:
Canadian's are in just as much danger as American's when it comes to terrorism. Unfortunately, not a lot of Canadians see that. It is not important enough to be a major concern. I also don't think it tops my list of things to worry about, but perhaps it should. I don't think this is enough of a wake-up call, and unfortunately, a lot of people won't have their opinions swayed on this issue until something really bad happens.
:applaus: Truthful and to the point. :thumbsup:

actually,it was 17 people arrested,5 of which were 'young offenders' (under the age of 18).The threat was very real. They had 3 tons of material , the same that was used to make the truck bomb in the Oaklahoma bombing.

as well,they were using our northern 'cottage country' for firearms practice. This is definitely no publicity stunt;they were investigating these individuals for two years.

The interesting thing is that they would only be stepping in for the arrests if it was a danger to let things continue.I would say an attack was imminent. Not impressed considering i live in that area.

what really cheeses me off is that most of these people were raised in this country , benefitting from all we have to offer.

They are brainwashed that is why they do these things, stupid fools.

They were planning on decapitating the PM and top officials on Parliament Hill. Hitting really close to my home now.

How do they plan on doing that? Aren't those people well guarded?

Right, Chris, so heavily guarded that a man walked into the previous PM's residence and the PM's wife had to hit him on the head and subdue him until the men assigned to protect the PM arrived. You are talking Canada here not Washington DC!

Thats stupid, any leader should be well guarded. I remember hearing stories that hundreds of years ago you used to be able to walk right into the White House.

Back