What's new

Catholic School (or any private school)

Reporter20's mom was my kid's kindergarten teacher at public school.....and was AMAZING at it. It was like a calling for her.

So, I think you can get an amazing K teacher at public school too.

She had a HUGE reputation in our area. One of my DS' BFF's mom had a baby the year they were in K. She sweated until he got into her class that she wouldn't retire before his K year.

Yep, she was THAT good.

I agree that teachers make all of the difference, especially in the early years!!

My kids and focadima's kids go to the same HS. It is a great school for my girls because my girls would just die going to our public Hs although they went to public grammar and jr high school. The public HS seems to be rougher. But if I lived in LW or Sandburg there would be no question where they would go. For my DD3 it is all about sports. She plays basketball on the "B" team but this B team has so much talent they could easily play A. We won 2 tournaments in a row and have only lost 1 game this season. I am extremely nervous about our softball teams as it appears they will not be having a freshman team. Anyhoo, the wine that I am drinking is doing the talking so let me end by saying this. My girls always feel that going to our HS is a status symbol and God love 'em if that status symbol involves Catholicism. But in Catholic HS don't think that translates to less drugs and alcohol.

I'm not sure I'd be able to reasonably determine good curriculum from bad... They have all of these charts that say good things and then some people say that private schools suck at math and science and the teachers are the losers that couldn't get higher paying public school positions. IDK.

Most teachers at private religious schools are there because they are of that faith and they feel teaching there is part of "living their faith".....

FYI- A lot of Catholic schools participate in the annual "Catholic Schools Week" where you can come to an open house during school hours to observe the school and classrooms. It is during the last week of January- but you should call which school you are interested in as their schedules for open house may be on different days from the other schools.

Most teachers at private religious schools are there because they are of that faith and they feel teaching there is part of "living their faith".....

This is true...I was a Lutheran School Teacher for 5 years befre I "retired" to stay home with our kids. MOST Lutheran schools hire teachers who were trained at a Lutheran College (of course not all of them do) But most people who go into this profession know they are not going to get rich, but want to share their faith with children. Of course, as it is with most schools (public, private or parochial) there are good teachers and there are bad teachers.

Our 4 children have all attended a Lutheran grade school and now our 2 oldest attend the Lutheran High school in the area. We send them there because we want them in a Christian environment. We love the schools and have found a nice community of people in both schools. Two years ago I was very sick and had surgery twice within 7 months and our school/church family couldn't have been better. We had meals dropped off at our door every other day when we needed it, people we were not super close to came and picked up our children and took them on play dates to give them something to do or gave them rides when we needed help.

Anyway, my point is...a parochial school and its affiliated church can be a great place to get involved in.

This is true...I was a Lutheran School Teacher for 5 years befre I "retired" to stay home with our kids. MOST Lutheran schools hire teachers who were trained at a Lutheran College (of course not all of them do) But most people who go into this profession know they are not going to get rich, but want to share their faith with children. Of course, as it is with most schools (public, private or parochial) there are good teachers and there are bad teachers.

Our 4 children have all attended a Lutheran grade school and now our 2 oldest attend the Lutheran High school in the area. We send them there because we want them in a Christian environment. We love the schools and have found a nice community of people in both schools. Two years ago I was very sick and had surgery twice within 7 months and our school/church family couldn't have been better. We had meals dropped off at our door every other day when we needed it, people we were not super close to came and picked up our children and took them on play dates to give them something to do or gave them rides when we needed help.

Anyway, my point is...a parochial school and its affiliated church can be a great place to get involved in.

Are you talking about WELS? Our church/ school is WELS and yes most if not all of our teachers came from Martin Luther college.

We are actually LCMS, but yes, most of our teachers come from one of the "Concordia" universities.

Back