What's new

Cheap/Free summer entertainment

mich148

Senior Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
So my DH had a weeks vacation sprung on him early and we where not ready for this at all and will have no money/little money for any form of entertainment. I have all the kids school fees, car sticker, medical issues and now this spur of the moment vacation to fit in somehow, so if anyone has any ideas of free or cheap things that can keep my family busy it would really help out my family :)

Oh I live in the Batavia/Geneva area....Thanks

Classic cinemas/Marcus/other theaters have $2 or $1 kids movies, maybe the last week for that. What about camping in the backyard? Go to a drive in movie at cascade (west Chicago). Beach? Go bike riding along the fox river in st. Charles? Get a family time/Chicago parent magazine from the library, they usually have lots of local, free cheap things. Also check to see if you library rents out passes for places like brookfiel zoo or fields museum

Another thing, if you eat out fast food you can just bring our own drinks and go thru the drive thru. Eat in the car or have a picnic. Drinks tend to add up. Also bring lots of snacks from home so you/the kids won't be tempted to hit the concession/vending

Classic cinemas/Marcus/other theaters have $2 or $1 kids movies, maybe the last week for that. What about camping in the backyard? Go to a drive in movie at cascade (west Chicago). Beach? Go bike riding along the fox river in st. Charles? Get a family time/Chicago parent magazine from the library, they usually have lots of local, free cheap things. Also check to see if you library rents out passes for places like brookfiel zoo or fields museum
Thanks, I never heard that the library rents out passes. I will look into that one. We do a lot of biking and fishing on the fox, just trying to find a few different things to do.

I was thinking of looking into that radio shopping club. Has anyone ever used it? Is there good deals to be had on it?

Raging Waves in Yorkville has a hotel package for 4 people, 4 passes, 4 tube rentals etc for $150 something. Makes the hotel almost free. Or get passes at a discount price at Costco. It would be a great way to kill a day and feel like you went on vacation!

St. Charles has concert in the park Thursday nights and it is free. Quarry Beach is on groupon.

We used radio shopping to get passes to the Ren Fair. $8 vs $20 at the door.

I was thinking of looking into that radio shopping club. Has anyone ever used it? Is there good deals to be had on it?

Yes, I've used them in the past and they can have fabulous deals. I took my nephew on the Chicago Chocolate Tour in the past and had a great time. (If I remember correctly, however, The Radio Show mails you the certificate and I don't know how quickly you need these.) However, I was going to suggest going on all of the social websites, (Groupon, Living Social, Saveology, etc.) and see what's available. Groupon also has daily deals only available for that day that you can purchase and use immediately (restrictions apply). I have used the Brookfield Zoo passes from the library. (I am taking my nephew for pizza today and I paid $10.00 for $20.00 worth of food.)

Back