What's new

Collecting basketball shoes is an investment. Agree or Disagree?

jgildo

Emerging Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
My husband collects basketball shoes and justifies the act as an investment for his sons. You guys agree or disagree? :confused:

What becomes collectible is somewhat random. If there is a market some time in the future for today's basketball shoes, then they might be worth something if they're kept in pristine condition. But there has to be a market for them, and there's no way to predict that. If they were shoes that were worn by all-star players, that would be different. But just buying shoes in the hopes that one day someone will really want them seems silly to me.

What becomes collectible is somewhat random. If there is a market some time in the future for today's basketball shoes, then they might be worth something if they're kept in pristine condition. But there has to be a market for them, and there's no way to predict that. If they were shoes that were worn by all-star players, that would be different. But just buying shoes in the hopes that one day someone will really want them seems silly to me.

I know right! I always tell him that! I also find it silly and impractical to collect shoes and have them rot over time. But nevertheless, he's my husband and I guess, I have to support him no matter how silly it sounds.

I think it is, some people are making money collecting Michael Jordan's shoes. These are considered collectibles and if your husband is collecting the shoes endorsed by NBA superstars then I'm sure it will cost more 20-50yrs from now.

I think it is, some people are making money collecting Michael Jordan's shoes. These are considered collectibles and if your husband is collecting the shoes endorsed by NBA superstars then I'm sure it will cost more 20-50yrs from now.

I'm glad to hear that. :) He's collecting Kobe, Jordan and Rose shoes. Really expensive so I hope he gets his return of investment real soon.

I think collecting those is fine, they might be of some value to the collectors in the future. You can never know what can rise in value in the future :)

Collecting is always good, basketball shoes, sounds fun.

There is always a market for collectable items. It all comes down the the value that someone else puts on an object. If he protects them and gets some autographed, there will be value in them.

Yes having the shoes autographed by the player who endorsed the shoes would be a great way to put value in those. The signatures are the ones that people will go after, it's not the shoes that are bought in the stores with nothing on it.

This might just be me, but personally, I think that's ridiculous. Collecting basketball shoes shouldn't be considered an investment, more of a hobby than anything else.

I would say collecting shoes that are endorsed by a selected few could be profitable. But he is going to have to collect shoes endored by players who will be remembered, and who will still be a household name, in 30 or 40 years.

The problem is it may take a long, long time get much of a return the investment. Are you sure your husband dosn't just have a shoe fettish?

Personally, I find this rather ridiculous. Maybe if they were endorsed and autographed than they would have some real value, but buying normal shoes and hoping they become valuable in the future seems silly. The market for shoes in the future may or not exist, so I think it's a bit of a gamble.

1. What if your son doesn't want to play basketball and likes, say, soccer?
2. Kids HATE old stuff, especially if they've been used already. I was a kid not so long ago and I hated every time my mom made me wear my brother's clothes.
3. It will sure take some years from your son to get a foot as big as your husband's :p

Just my $0.02 there.

1. What if your son doesn't want to play basketball and likes, say, soccer?
2. Kids HATE old stuff, especially if they've been used already. I was a kid not so long ago and I hated every time my mom made me wear my brother's clothes.
3. It will sure take some years from your son to get a foot as big as your husband's :p

Just my $0.02 there.

LOL! We don't even have a son yet. Now the pressure is on me. I need to give him a son or else these shoes are going to a trash bin 20 years from now. lol :rofl:

LOL! We don't even have a son yet. Now the pressure is on me. I need to give him a son or else these shoes are going to a trash bin 20 years from now. lol :rofl:
That could be my pickup line. "Either have a child with me or I'll have to throw my things away". Sounds good! :thumbsup:

It's a really expensive hobby. Definitely wouldn't call it an investment though. He just really has no way of knowing how much thst stuff is going to be worth.

Yeah some of those shoes could be worth some money but some of them could be absolutely worthless 15 years from now and then what does he have to show for it?

My husband collects basketball shoes and justifies the act as an investment for his sons. You guys agree or disagree? :confused:

These basketball shoes your husband collects: Are they new-but-signed-by-star-players-of-the-NBA, or are they used?

I strongly disagree. In 30 or 40 years, no one will care about if you have this specific version of this or that. Well, unless they are the original Air Jordans, that is...

I'm glad to hear that. :) He's collecting Kobe, Jordan and Rose shoes. Really expensive so I hope he gets his return of investment real soon.

I don't foresee him getting a return all too soon. He is going to make the most money back, I think, when all three players are retired and possibly even deceased. Still then, it may be hard to unload them for the kind of money he is expecting. There will have to be a demand and the economy will have to be stable enough that people are willing to spend money on (old) name brand shoes.

If you collect shoes from players, with autographs and stuff, then yes, it can be profitable. But I don't think anyone will remember a lot of players that play nowadays in major competitions in let's say 20 years.

Back