What's new

College Text Books

Swale2010

Chief Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
On top of everything else...DS started college today....and of course I try to take care of everything.

He does not have his books yet...fail on my part.

Can someone direct me in the right direction on where is the best place to get books?

At the school book store they are $$.

Is there a cheaper way?

TIA

Does your DS live in a dorm? If he does, it is very likely that he can get used book from someone living in that dorm. If not, just wait until he goes to class to make sure that the professor/instructor is really going to use the textbook.

I purchase my kids books thru amazon....u can rent some there too...very easy to do! I shopped around and found them to be the cheapest

I Google "shopped" the book name/ course name & found deals that way. I know I bought some on Amazon & some from another place I'd never heard of & can't remember. :p

My DH usually gets his books through Amazon or through his school listserv. Unfortunately now that classes have started you'll have less choice of used books. He also sells them back the same way. This term (his last) we actually made more on last semester's books than this semester's cost.

I never got the chance to go to college....so this is all new to me.

He is going to a community college....to become a Paramedic...he did not want to go away. I guess life here is too good...LOL.

My boy loves his mommy because I make his life easy.

I have been poking around on amazon but wondering if I could find it cheaper....unfortunately we are hemorrhaging money right now with another child in the house....

swale we buy almost all of ours ( high school and college) through amazon or ebay

It seemed like the information for what books he needed came out on Jan. 12 from the instructor. It was sent to his student e-mail...which is on the school website. Had a hell of a time setting up that account. I am not too computer savvy when it comes to stuff like that.

I'm gonna call the school library and find out how you find out what books you need on my own....Three days is not enough time for me....so for his next classes I am more ready and feel like I have options.

Once again CW...calms me down. LOL...who would have thunk that I would be using CW for a "get through the day" site....

You guys are the bestest...and alot cheaper than therapy....

Some semesters when I was really destitute, I'd check course textbooks out of the library. You can't write in them, highlight, or otherwise mark them up since the library owns them, but free is free. If nothing else, he can use those until he/you get(s) $$ to buy his textbooks.

ETA: call the college's bookstore to find out which books he needs before you call the library.

swale --please right now--make HIM look up the info and then have HIM search for the books
I make my kids --even the high schoolers look up their own books and give me links--I am the one who purchases--although my college kids do buy some on their own

he needs to learn how to do it--not you

Check craigslist. Just put in the name of the book or name of the school.

I sold a few for moraine valley yesterday.

Lisa if you buy your books thru Amazon or Ebay how do you resell them? I always just use MBS direct and I know they are $$ but I just don't know any other way.

You can sell your books back directly TO amazon, there is a "sell my textbooks" link on your account settings page. They give you a giftcard for the $.

Personally, I hang on to them until the semester has started and students are desperate, then I soak 'em. :lol: I just list my books on Amazon and sell them directly to customers. I try to ship them Priority Mail when I can (if not I use Fedex but I am a power shipper so I have good pricing), so they don't have to wait 6 weeks for media mail.

chegg.com just enter the book's isbn number, you can buy or rent and return, good luck!

Chegg.com---you can rent through them

Half.com

We also have had HUGE success with Amazon. One time dd bought her book on Amazon for 5.00--sold it back to the book store for 100.00. Same book--just got lucky--and the book was in fantastic condition.

We also found that a lot of times other colleges sell the same text books cheaper or buy them back cheaper.

You can check a student center--many times they have an area to post school books cheaper--or you can put a wanted note out--and someone will sell you their books--as long as they haven't changed to a newer version. That happened to us all the time, the prof. decided to change books which was more--so we had to sell back what we thought we needed.

Good luck! Books are so expensive!!!

Ok I just turned around in my chair and grabbed the first books I saw which were 2 paperback religion books. they are listed on Amazon as going for between $2-$6 . I know this has been talked about before but I really never considered buying books this way. My laziness is going to kill me. I feel like I need a life coach for every aspect of my life.

Back