What's new

College Text Books

I buy a lot of books on amazon each year ( text books) I often get the email or the notice about amazon buying back my books 2x I sent them back--both times they sent them right back to me.. If I have new titles to enter I also wait until school/classes start so I can sell mine a bit higher--

Ok I just turned around in my chair and grabbed the first books I saw which were 2 paperback religion books. they are listed on Amazon as going for between $2-$6 . I know this has been talked about before but I really never considered buying books this way. My laziness is going to kill me. I feel like I need a life coach for every aspect of my life.
Thank God LG doesn't read this thread!

I don't bother selling books unless I can get at least $3 for them, because I'm not a power seller. DH has no trouble selling his books. Only had two issues in the last two years: one moron who didn't read the listing (it was taken out of its binding and spiral bound in three sections) and one who didn't realize she hadn't checked priority shipping and listed it as not delivered 4 days after she bought it.

On top of everything else...DS started college today....and of course I try to take care of everything.

He does not have his books yet...fail on my part.

Can someone direct me in the right direction on where is the best place to get books?

At the school book store they are $$.

Is there a cheaper way?

TIA
Your son is in college.... can't he find his own books???

swale --please right now--make HIM look up the info and then have HIM search for the books
I make my kids --even the high schoolers look up their own books and give me links--I am the one who purchases--although my college kids do buy some on their own

he needs to learn how to do it--not you

LOL...can you tell I have control issues...and this I need to work on because so many things are out of my control right now...LOL

Thank God LG doesn't read this thread!

LOL....I was thinking the exact same thing....I really do too much for the kids and it has everything to do with the death of my father...therapy cost too much but I am working at it.

This just got so ****ed up because of our new DD...everything got pushed aside trying to adjust...we are still working at it. Just trying to make sure everybody is okay.

I did notice Kathy thanked Lisa's post...thank you for being nice to me Kathy...but then again you have never been "not nice to me"...life is crazy here right now and I appreciate that I can come here for advise....

Your son is in college.... can't he find his own books???

Why, Yes Lanyb...he could find his own books...but I did not have the chance to sit down with him to find the cheapest route. My entire house has been turned upside down within a matter of weeks.

I am sure next semester he will do better when I have a chance to sit down with him and give him the great advise I got in this thread.

Why, Yes Lanyb...he could find his own books...but I did not have the chance to sit down with him to find the cheapest route. My entire house has been turned upside down within a matter of weeks.

I am sure next semester he will do better when I have a chance to sit down with him and give him the great advise I got in this thread.
I was not trying to be rude.... in my experience, I was literally dropped off at college and had to fend for myself. It made me a better and stronger person!

Like others have said - Amazon. I wish I would have looked on amazon for some of my books last semester, I could have saved some money. My $75 new book was selling for $5 on Amazon.

see swale becuase YOU are so busy he should be taking care of that by himself

swale --please right now--make HIM look up the info and then have HIM search for the books
I make my kids --even the high schoolers look up their own books and give me links--I am the one who purchases--although my college kids do buy some on their own

he needs to learn how to do it--not you

Exactly what I was going to post.

Emm is in her second year. Her school emails, book needs, etc..is all on her. AND HAS BEEN since her first semester. As a matter of a fact, she signed up her first FAFSA (on time) and did all that too.

She is WAY more computer savvy than I ....and this is her education. And a darn good place to start with making THEM completely responsible for themselves (while still providing a net!)

I always wait to get my son's books AFTER the semester starts. I can't tell you how many books I have bought, going by the school website before classes started, that were NOT required by the teacher once the class started.

see swale becuase YOU are so busy he should be taking care of that by himself

This was his first day stepping foot into college/class.....neither one of us had any idea how things go....he was just told about the books needed on the 12th which did not give any time to order off of Amazon, now that we know that Amazon is a good place to get books...he did get the books from the school book store because he has to read a few chapters and has a test this Thursday.

Exactly what I was going to post.

Emm is in her second year. Her school emails, book needs, etc..is all on her. AND HAS BEEN since her first semester. As a matter of a fact, she signed up her first FAFSA (on time) and did all that too.

Will Emm find the cheapest way to get books....just asking, not being ****y...because I know my kid could care less about how much things cost...he will go the easiest route.

Now that I have information, we can sit and talk about the best way for him to get his books...because like I said I never had the opportunity to go to college...so I have no clue about being a college student.

She is WAY more computer savvy than I ....and this is her education. And a darn good place to start with making THEM completely responsible for themselves (while still providing a net!)

yeah my boys wait to buy their books too until class starts..their bookstore on campus offers 30 return policy so if they really really need their books faster they buy on campus then return when Amazon books come in

This was his first day stepping foot into college/class.....neither one of us had any idea how things go....he was just told about the books needed on the 12th which did not give any time to order off of Amazon, now that we know that Amazon is a good place to get books...he did get the books from the school book store because he has to read a few chapters and has a test this Thursday.

Generally there is a book list provided AT LEAST a couple of weeks before the class starts--it should be on the college website. Some teachers don't follow the book list exactly, so ordering from Amazon in advance is slightly risky--however if you buy from Amazon directly (not a second party or private seller) you can return the books with no hassle and just pay the cost of shipping. Amazon usually gives the most money for used books in the form of Amazon credit. If DS has to have the book right away have him buy it used at the bookstore and then return it when the ones from Amazon come.

Your son needs to be actively involved in his own schooling and needs to figure it out on his own. He sounds like he is a bright kid if he wants to be a paramedic, so I am sure that he can do it.

<--------- has not paid for textbooks in over a decade

just sayin'

I just asked my son, who is a junior in college, what he uses. He said he generally uses fetchbook.com. It is a search engine that includes Amazon and hundreds of other sites to make text book purchases a little easier on the wallet. Of course, there will always be some books you can only obtain in your school. Good luck to your son!

The best place is www.directtextbook.com. It compares all of the sites. Just input the isbn number. It includes both the rental, used and new purchase prices. Sometimes it might it might be to buy a book if it has a high buyback price. Sometimes that is cheaper than renting.

I have triplets in their senior year. Bought all the books freshman year and then learned the ropes on the rental used book market. Yes it should be their job but they would not take time effort to find the best price so we work together on that.

Actually some of the school book stores have even started renting books to.

Back