What's new

Coming to the Great NW this Feb 15th & 16th Kurt Slep CEO of Sound Choice

ORKA

Emerging Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Kurt Slep, CEO of Sound Choice will be here (Portland & Seattle Area) February 15 and 16, to present an informal recap of the Mobile Beat 2011 seninar: How to Survive and Even Thrive in a Karaoke Market Fraught With Pirates - KIAA (Karaoke Industry Alliance of America).
For more information PM me for details.
Just thought you might like to know...

wish I could make it...but too far for my budget...hope someone will recap notes/highlights on the forums

We here at ORKA will do are best to help share information on the progress here in Oregon during and after Kurts visit.

Ah. I'm probably the only idiot here that didn't know your screen name was organizational, not personal, until now..:embarrassedpill:

"How to Survive and Even Thrive in a Karaoke Market Fraught With Pirates"

I'll bet it's marketing opportunity for his Gem series....

Step #1: Buy Gem Series
Step #2: Pass out "Safe Harbor Educational Pamphlets"
Step #3: Sell Fear to club owners
Step #4: Take over all the pirate gigs at $500/night....

However, even Athena claims that she's "having trouble with a local pirate" although SC has made their "sweeps" through Florida... twice...

yes Chip we are having a bit of a problem with a local pirate after 2 sweeps....but to put it in perspective before the sweeps we were having trouble from multiple local pirates. He will not be a problem for much longer. Pirate problems will never go away totally (new pirates will pop up) however the tide has turned here in favor of the LEGAL KJ...something we have not seen for years.

Some are interested in what Kurt has to say on this issue so lets NOT hijack this thread

KjAthena said:
yes Chip we are having a bit of a problem with a local pirate after 2 sweeps....but to put it in perspective before the sweeps we were having trouble from multiple local pirates. He will not be a problem for much longer. Pirate problems will never go away totally (new pirates will pop up) however the tide has turned here in favor of the LEGAL KJ...something we have not seen for years.

Some are interested in what Kurt has to say on this issue so lets NOT hijack this thread

I'm not hijacking anything. It just seems that it's not as valid a title as it appears to be. How many of your former pirates are now your "legit competitors" and how many pirates actually disappeared? My understanding from the newspaper article link that was posted a while back said that one pirate in your area "settled" and is now a "customer" and continues to run at least 40 (or more) shows a week... So even at $100 each....

well Chip the pirate you are referring to is in Miami I think so not my direct competitor. I am in the Tampa Bay area. My counts to date are as follows
1 pirate settled that I know of ( a few others backed out of settlements )
11 are gone...disappeared...out of business
0 new pirates have appeared on the scene since the lawsuits
I can not answer about other areas but in my little part of the world the lawsuits are working....cant wait for more filings from CB and Stellar

Back to Orka's thread...If you wish to continue this discussion I will be happy to post on a seperate thread.

KjAthena said:
well Chip the pirate you are referring to is in Miami I think so not my direct competitor. I am in the Tampa Bay area. My counts to date are as follows
1 pirate settled that I know of ( a few others backed out of settlements )
11 are gone...disappeared...out of business
0 new pirates have appeared on the scene since the lawsuits
I can not answer about other areas but in my little part of the world the lawsuits are working....cant wait for more filings from CB and Stellar

Back to Orka's thread...If you wish to continue this discussion I will be happy to post on a seperate thread.

You don't need to start anything new because even with "11 gone and 0 new pirates" you're still having "pirate problems" so it looks like the sweeps did more to kill the business in your area than anything else.

KjAthena said:

What exactly are these "sweeps" supposed to enforce? The biggest "former" pirate, now a so-called SC customer, is still operating illegally under the KIAA guidelines. A KIAA audit requires that 98% of your karaoke library, be in compliance. If this is the case, tell me how this newly obtained SC customer still operates 8 shows in one night, with over 130K karaoke tracks. A big part of all of his karaoke catalogs STILL include karaoke songs manufactured by DK, Music Maestro, Pioneer, RCA, Legend Series, Radio Starz, just to name a few. We all know that these companies are no longer in business. If these companies are no longer in business, how was it that he was able to get 8 CDG jewel originals for each of his HD's? Isn't that what they look for in an audit? Also, he continues to use his free shareware SC Karaoke catalog, that sports the RED music score in the background. Doesn't completion of the settlement agreement with SC, require the customer to use only the gem series, which sports the BLUE music score in the background?

I don't know what Kurt Slep is going to present to the respected individuals, but I'd be curious to look over the meeting notes. I have some questions of my own that I would like answered on the in's and out's, and the right's from wrong's.

Karaoke Star said:
What exactly are these "sweeps" supposed to enforce? The biggest "former" pirate, now a so-called SC customer, is still operating illegally under the KIAA guidelines. A KIAA audit requires that 98% of your karaoke library, be in compliance. If this is the case, tell me how this newly obtained SC customer still operates 8 shows in one night, with over 130K karaoke tracks. A big part of all of his karaoke catalogs STILL include karaoke songs manufactured by DK, Music Maestro, Pioneer, RCA, Legend Series, Radio Starz, just to name a few. We all know that these companies are no longer in business. If these companies are no longer in business, how was it that he was able to get 8 CDG jewel originals for each of his HD's? Isn't that what they look for in an audit? Also, he continues to use his free shareware SC Karaoke catalog, that sports the RED music score in the background. Doesn't completion of the settlement agreement with SC, require the customer to use only the gem series, which sports the BLUE music score in the background?

I don't know what Kurt Slep is going to present to the respected individuals, but I'd be curious to look over the meeting notes. I have some questions of my own that I would like answered on the in's and out's, and the right's from wrong's.

It may have to do when the settlement was done. The GEM series came out in July. If the settlement was reached and completed before then he would get the original red music scored discs.

Karaoke Star,
The sweeps have worked in my area. Some have settled and are still in business (with reduced libraries) but a lot more have simply got out of the business. CB and Stellar will be making sweeps of there own in due time and hopefully will run out some that settled with SC and now realize they have to pay out more for their theft

As far as pirates continuing to operate with orphan labels that will remain an issue until most if not all have been purchased by the manus willing to go after the pirates...if anyone has any suggestions for handling this issue by all means post away.

I have seen the misconception about Gem series and the pirates listed a few times now....When a pirate settles per the settlement agreements I have seen they receive one copy of the remaining CDG stock that SC has....not the GEM series...if a pirate wants the GEM series he/she must purchase it over and above the settlement costs....The GEM series is much more complete than the settlement package and has no duplicates. They must also remove all SC tracks that they do not own a CDG for. SC has no grounds to make them remove other manus tracks.

SC/CB audits do require 98%adherence for SC and CB.....KIAA membership audits cover all Manus...active or inactive and require the same adherence. We have received our SC/CB audit already and are preparing for our Stellar audit.......As of today I have not been able to set up a KIAA audit even tho we are members. This is most likely due to the overhaul KIAA is currently undergoing and the fact that KIAA is run by volunteers. I look forward to the day I do receive my KIAA audit and can prove that I am 1-1 with all manus alive or dead. As a KIAA member I have agreed to abide by the rules they have set and allow audits if requested. KIAA is a start in finding a way to continuously regulate the industry.

As far as the pirate turned customer you speak of in your post....personally I would like to see him and all other pirates forced out of business...but unfortuanatly I dont see a way to make that happen, so making them "pay up" and level the playing field a bit will have to do...for now

I do not claim to know everything about the fight against piracy but hope I have answered a few of your questions.

c. staley said:
Right Athena. And here are some eye-openers you might want to read up on regarding this subject and why it is so very important.

Click here for Chartbusters Information

Click here for Sound Choice Information

Chip thanks for validating my response...its always nice when someone "on the other side of the fence" sees your point. As far as your links...what do they have to do with the thread at hand ? Neither Manu's has tried to say they have never been sued....anyone that reads this please do yourself a favor and research the outcome of the suits listed.

KjAthena said:
Chip thanks for validating my response...its always nice when someone "on the other side of the fence" sees your point. As far as your links...what do they have to do with the thread at hand ? Neither Manu's has tried to say they have never been sued....anyone that reads this please do yourself a favor and research the outcome of the suits listed.

Been sued for what? I think is the same action they are now attempting to stop is it not?

Chip, apples and oranges.
You are arguing that failure to get the license is the same as having a loaded drive and no discs. The two are not the same. So stop trying to make it so.

DannyGKaraoke said:
Chip, apples and oranges.
You are arguing that failure to get the license is the same as having a loaded drive and no discs. The two are not the same. So stop trying to make it so.

They are EXACTLY the same Danny.

"Unauthorized use" is still unauthorized use whether you are playing from a loaded hard drive and charging for your services OR creating a karaoke disc and selling it to others without permission.

How can you possibly think that this is somehow different?

Would you rather call it "a failure to buy a disc" instead? It certainly sounds like an innocent oversight when you describe it that way. Purchasing a loaded hard drive and these exampled cases are BOTH: intentional and willful. Let's not sugarcoat it to the point it looks like a parking ticket.

Chip....you have a right to your own opinion on this issue but it has nothing to do with this Karaoke Stars questions...please do not hijack this thread...start a new one if you want to debate that issue

KjAthena said:
1) KIAA membership audits cover all Manus........As of today I have not been able to set up a KIAA audit even tho we are members. This is most likely due to the overhaul KIAA is currently undergoing and the fact that KIAA is run by volunteers.

2) .......As a KIAA member I have agreed to abide by the rules they have set and allow audits if requested. KIAA is a start in finding a way to continuously regulate the industry.

1) Well, has anyone found out where the actual physical whereabouts of KIAA headquarters are? Not the prestige PO box in an office building ( where they do not reside) but the actual location? How about who is actually in charge of the KIAA? Maybe a hint regarding who is taking responsibility for collection and disbursement of funds, and where those funds go?

Here's one: Of the very few people who claim that they have gotten a phone answered by the KIAA, no one can seem to come up with a contact name.

2) As a member ( like Jokerswild and others here), you must have sent in a membership fee.

Would a business person send money to an "organization" without having the answers to the above? Anonymous strangers that can't be located or held accountable? Request and pay for an audit from these same unknkown and hidden entities? Nonsensical. Now, things may be changing, but up until and INCLUDING now, ( and Joker became a member a YEAR ago) no one could supply those answers. Oh, there is a listing of an "advisors" on the site, but no one will claim any responsibility for anything.

I do know that the "advisors" are on SCs "A" list.

Actually, what information I have suggests that the Kardboard KIAA is another SC entity.

Unless someone can answer all of the questions asked above to the contrary, I have to go with that. By answer, I don't mean only any new updates, but the past year as well.

Back