What's new

Coming to the Great NW this Feb 15th & 16th Kurt Slep CEO of Sound Choice

Bazza said:
And why not? A wise move in my opinion. I'll bet he licenses quite a few as it's an incredible series for the price.

Why not? Because this series has no U.S. licensing, he has no right to request that anyone license from SC. It's kind of like McDonald's charging royalties to use Bon Jovi's name or likeness in an ad. Ridiculous to say the least.

JoeChartreuse said:
Who was running the KIAA booth? Was any information about who was responsible for running the KIAA or their location available? Were contact names given out with the literature?

Kind of figured that would go unanswered.....

Bazza said:
I give presentations & white papers at engineering shows & conventions all the time for my day job. Do you know why we do it? To give my company facetime and allow me to mention/push our products at the same time I am educating our client base. EVERY manufacture wants to give presentations at trade shows. If you think their motives are all purely educational, you are sorely mistaken.

Not "sorely mistaken" at all, on the contrary I'm sure it was all about sales. My point is that there is a difference in what you do that seperates those that have enough integrity to provide the educational benefits alone and those that do not and make every attempt at another sale under any pretense.

It's simply a matter of how much integrity your firm has - or lacks.

c. staley said:
Not "sorely mistaken" at all, on the contrary I'm sure it was all about sales. My point is that there is a difference in what you do that seperates those that have enough integrity to provide the educational benefits alone and those that do not and make every attempt at another sale under any pretense.

It's simply a matter of how much integrity your firm has - or lacks.

BS. No matter the trade show subject, EVERY firm that gives a presentation is doing it for the exposure, even those that claim to be doing it purely for educational purposes. Those that claim otherwise are lying. It is the reason they show up at all! If companies got nothing out of trade shows & conventions, they wouldn't spend the thousands required to show up and that is a fact.

Even at the Veterinary trade shows, each speaker would often be sponsored by a company--latest in vaccines would be sponsored by a vaccine manufacturer, diet and kidney disease would be sponsored by a food manufacturer, etc. The speaker would take great pains to try to present all sides, give a nod to other products, admit a bias, etc. but you always had it in the back of your head that they worked for or with the sponsoring company. There would be an attempt at balance to present opposing views but for the most part, the sponsorships helped to make the fees to attend affordable and attendees knew to take it for what it was.

On the one hand, if there is a new product or treatment out, then you need the company to explain it, present their research, etc. as that is how you will keep up with developments. But on the other, you know that no company spends millions developing a product just out of the goodness of their heart. They need to sell it. So you always knew to do more research or weigh other options before just jumping on the boat. There was even a scandal at one time when a company threatened to cut off funding to a university if they didn't have their study come out in the company's favor--so you had to look for the bias in everything as there was no such thing as a "pure" source.

possumdog said:
Even at the Veterinary trade shows, each speaker would often be sponsored by a company--latest in vaccines would be sponsored by a vaccine manufacturer, diet and kidney disease would be sponsored by a food manufacturer, etc. The speaker would take great pains to try to present all sides, give a nod to other products, admit a bias, etc. but you always had it in the back of your head that they worked for or with the sponsoring company. There would be an attempt at balance to present opposing views but for the most part, the sponsorships helped to make the fees to attend affordable and attendees knew to take it for what it was.

Exactly. And I will bet it wasn't "Bob Jones - Scientist" giving the speech in a plain dress shirt, it was "Dr. Bob Jones, Head of R&D for Iams" standing at the podium in his company branded polo shirt along with a document packet & Iams keychain at every seat. You get the picture. Boil it down, It's marketing. In the end they are there to sell their products.

Well......not at the lectures, maybe at the booths. There is still an attempt to be as ethical and scientific as possible for the lectures as it is medicine involved and has some ethical strings attached that you wouldn't find on a candy bar or stereo speaker. The most marketing at the lecture itself would be that it would say, "Sponsored by" on the schedule and the speaker would thank the sponsor at the beginning and end and confess if they worked for them. Controversial topics might even be presented as a round table/debate type of thing. The keychains and give aways would be restricted to the Vendor area. But even in the lectures, you would keep it in the back of your mind if the speaker worked for the manufacturer or was hired to do a study for them.

But the thing is, you have to have these presentations, self-serving or not, in order to keep up. Even if people didn't agree with everything Kurt said at his presentation, at least they were made aware of where he was coming from and what he might have planned that could affect them. I have always felt that by being too harsh toward the manus on thise board, we have cut ourselves off from the free exchange of info and now only a few really know what they are up to.

Back