Which Mic is Best for Karaoke

• Shure PG24/SM58 Wireless

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • EV RE-2 Wireless

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D'uh... what is wyerless???

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I don't get it....wouldn't you have to remember to turn on a mute switch also???

Sorry i forgot to clarify. When I turn the microphone on, it takes about 4 seconds for the receiver to get a signal and half of what I'm saying gets lost because i keep forgetting that I have to wait to talk.

So what i usually end up doing is keeping it on, and muting the mic from my mixing board, but it does drain the battery pretty darn fast.

Most microphones with a mute switch don't have this problem. Its a VERY minor point, but it still bothers me a bit.

You'll still have to pry my RE2 out of my cold dead hands before I'd stop using it. :sqlaugh:

I see what you mean. It does take a few seconds to open the audio path while it confirms that the tone and amplitude are both present.

I can see how it would be annoying if you are in the habit of turning on the mic just before you speak.

Thanks for your comments - glad you like it anyways!

I'd probably go with the EV simply because of versatility of mics you can use... I can buy a mic for my EV and use either the lav, headset or a hand held. With the Shure I'm not so sure you can.

Joker, I can order the Lavalier for the EV mic? I did not know that. I need to look into it.

The feature is what allows this unit to save Batteries for months. With a Shure if you leave it open and control from the booth it too would fail half way thru a gig as it is with a mute it will generally need change every other gig according to my past experience.:sqwink:
Sorry i forgot to clarify. When I turn the microphone on, it takes about 4 seconds for the receiver to get a signal and half of what I'm saying gets lost because i keep forgetting that I have to wait to talk.

So what i usually end up doing is keeping it on, and muting the mic from my mixing board, but it does drain the battery pretty darn fast.

Most microphones with a mute switch don't have this problem. Its a VERY minor point, but it still bothers me a bit.

You'll still have to pry my RE2 out of my cold dead hands before I'd stop using it. :sqlaugh:

I generally leave my RE-2 on for the entire event and just mute it through the board. I find that one Duracell or Energizer will last me 3 to 4 events before i change it. I figure that I am getting close to 18 hours out of a battery and I always change them when i have two lines left on the screen. I love the battery life of my RE-2. I also find that it picks up well when people drop the mic from their chin to their belly button. I have had many comments about how good my mic is.

I've had my RE-2 for over a year now and used it indoors, outdoors, 2' to 300' and I have yet to have a drop out. I haven't used the Shure you speak of but I can honestly say that i love my EV. One of the other DJs in town uses Shure stuff and he tells me he is switching to EV when he upgrades after he borrowed my RE-2 one day for a big event with multiple mics.

young...

I generally leave my RE-2 on for the entire event and just mute it through the board. I find that one Duracell or Energizer will last me 3 to 4 events before i change it. I figure that I am getting close to 18 hours out of a battery and I always change them when i have two lines left on the screen. I love the battery life of my RE-2. I also find that it picks up well when people drop the mic from their chin to their belly button. I have had many comments about how good my mic is.

I've had my RE-2 for over a year now and used it indoors, outdoors, 2' to 300' and I have yet to have a drop out. I haven't used the Shure you speak of but I can honestly say that i love my EV. One of the other DJs in town uses Shure stuff and he tells me he is switching to EV when he upgrades after he borrowed my RE-2 one day for a big event with multiple mics.

young...

I have always used Shure (currently own 12 of them) and I get 18+ hours out of a battery as well and for Karaoke mics I have removed both the power and mute switches (to keep people from playing with them), I pull the battereies at the end of every show! For my personal mic I can't even begin to tell you how many shows it goes through on one battery. On my personal mic I may change the battery every three to four months, but I use the mute switch every time I use it!

I haven't used the EV wireless mic as of yet but Audio-Technica I will never purchase again (I have three sitting on a shelf here in the office now that have seen maybe 12 hours of use!

Joker, I can order the Lavalier for the EV mic? I did not know that. I need to look into it.

Talk to Ben... but, ya you can you just have to buy the body pack too... I bought my EV with the Lav mic and added the head worn mic with my order and as I understand I could have also added the hand held... just can't use the hand held and the body pack at the same time on the same reciever.

Thunder said:
I have always used Shure (currently own 12 of them) and I get 18+ hours out of a battery as well and for Karaoke mics I have removed both the power and mute switches (to keep people from playing with them), I pull the battereies at the end of every show! For my personal mic I can't even begin to tell you how many shows it goes through on one battery. On my personal mic I may change the battery every three to four months, but I use the mute switch every time I use it!

I haven't used the EV wireless mic as of yet but Audio-Technica I will never purchase again (I have three sitting on a shelf here in the office now that have seen maybe 12 hours of use!

WHICH AT microphone? It makes a night and day difference. ;)

They make some cheap stuff, some entry level stuff (bang for the buck) and some pretty nice professional stuff.

WHICH AT microphone? It makes a night and day difference. ;)

They make some cheap stuff, some entry level stuff (bang for the buck) and some pretty nice professional stuff.

I think I just said that in the other thread! LOL

AT 3000!

If i wanted to go completely wireless there are a couple of midrange AT microphones i wouldn't mind using. I would NEVER use my RE2 as a 'drunk mic' its too darn good. I only give it to my absolute best singers, who I know will benefit from the extra quality. *and won't toss it up in the air or throw it*

-James

Though I absolutely love EV speakers, my mic of choice would have to be Shure. Less noisy during movement, and great factory support.

I happen to prefer the sound of the Shures as well, but that's completely subjective...:sqwink:

Back