What's new

Computers vs discs for karaoke

How does it feel to be a Luddite Joe...? :sqlaugh:

BTW- I have never had a player cease to function during a show- but I maintain them diligently.

I maintain my computers as well. Never had a computer fail during a show.

They also do my accounting, my email, web browsing, etc.

What can yer stuff do -- play non original music...? :sqwink: :sqlaugh: :rofl:

While I'm waiting with baited breath, I ordered a few products from Amazon :)

BTW, my humble apologies for spelling your name wrong in the edit section.

Did ya get my song up yet...? :sqlaugh:

Joe

1) I am also one of those who can hear the difference between MP3 and CD But when they are ripped at 256 or higher that difference is very slight and pretty much noticed only by the host.

2) And as was pointed out to me many years ago, "it is karaoke music, so the vast majority of the songs pretty much suck anyway". Many karaoke songs are produced on the computer anyway, so you really don't have all that great of a production to begin with!

3) I agree with your statement that there is no versus here, but it seems every other post you make has something to do with the detriments of being computer based and the advantages of disc.

4) If you love PCDJ Red and it's karaoke attachment then you would be blown away by Karma or even Sax & Dottys!

5) As for explaining another viewpoint! Please, everyone of us were disc based long before we were computerized, at least speaking for myself! I know that having been on both sides of that fence that I would never want to start carrying in players and disc again.

Personally if you want to look at it then there is really only one pure form of karaoke and that is using the Laser Disc!:sqwink:

1) Some were, some were higher, and some were .wav

2) Disagree. Some of the tracks are actually BETTER than the originals. Listen to Memorex's At Last....

3) Correct, simply because I prefer disc to PC. The other posts all speak of the benefits of PC and the detriments of discs. What's the problem?

4) If I LOVED PCDJ/KJ Red and the PC, I'd still be using them. I said that the program does all that I need- and it does. Don't LOVE it though.EDIT: Ooops, I DID say I love it in the other post. What I meant was that it was not any part of the reason for me switching back...

You gave me an idea for another thread though....

5) The other viewpoint is merely a reminder, not new info.

As for laser discs- got plenty of money sunk into them too!

Another reminder: I've done ( mixing DJ and Karaoke here) Vinyl, cassette, laser, CD, AND PC. If something was a genuine help to my business, I moved to it. If something comes up that WILL be a genuine help, I will move to it as well. Please keep in mind that the "luddite" label is half a joke. I am an EE and ET, and have no fear of the cutting edge, and indulge in other parts of my life...

Joe,

I have no problem with using disc and could go back to them tonight if I really wanted to, just don't want to! LOL

I remember carrying 8 crates of 12" and two 30 pound turntables to gigs, along with a reel to reel and 8 speakers, 200 pounds of amps etc. etc. certainly wasn't anything wrong with it.

Then along came the CD so the dual players came out and life got a lot easier but I had to repurchase all my music in the new form, life was good and I was carrying in less weight in players and a lot less weight in Music!

But, then computer Djing came along and I was able to cut down from 60 pounds of CDs to less than 10 life was good!

When I started out with karaoke it was on Laser disc (that is what was available) The laser disc box I used held a hundred laser disc and weighed 250 pounds the case with three laser disc players weighed in at another 70 pounds life was good!

Then CDGs happened, once again I had to repurchase all of my music again, but the weight was greatly reduced as was that of the players along with the size of the players, I never looked back to the lasers (although I loved them)!

Then Computer Karaoke happened and I resisted for some time (then I tried to build an ultimate computer system, it was big heavy and along with the program I purchased pretty ,uch a complicated mess, so I stayed with disc a couple of more years, then I saw a system using a laptop and an external hard drive with S&D as the program. I set myself of a system in this manner and never looked back again!

The point is that each transition from one format to the next cost me a boat load of money except for the transition from the last format to the computer, transition from CD and CDG to computer systems cost very little in comparision and really only amounted to time spent in ripping my music and karaoke. I don't have a day job other than my DJ KJ business so time I have plenty of!

But I understand where you are coming from. And I understand the issue of venues wanting you to be "legal" I have had to deal with it in my own area (I am probably the one person here that set that into motion with the venues I work or worked in) because I can show them that I own the disc and many of the venues I am working now i was working when I was disc based.

I have the stupidest reason for sticking to discs and it is just plain stubborness. I see the beauty of not having so much to carry and not wearing out a valuable disc collection. But right now CD&G is the legal form for selling karaoke in this country and I want this computer issue settled before I switch. Having manufacturers say they won't come after a 1:1 ratio doesn't do enough for me. It is just a stopgap to keep things going while the manufacturers try to find a way to provide their product in a form that is more difficult to steal.

While not all computer hosts are illegal, in our immediate area they are and I don't want to look like them. I am also frustrated with the whole can of worms computer use has opened up as far as copied hard drives, illegal downloads, etc. so stubbornly stay disc in a protest that means nothing to anyone. Well, actually it hurts me as it is difficult to find a good player--we still use our old Pioneer laser as the best but it is s-l-o-w. What a situation--CD&G is how karaoke is sold but finding something to play them on is another matter.

When Sound Choice comes up with their MP3&G data discs I will be on it--if they work--but until then it is videos of Elvis and Priscilla getting married on the lasers or just plain old CD&G for our business.

Joe

Aside from any legal considerations regarding the use of a PC hard drive at local venues, why do you say that you HAVE to carry a disc player, anyway?

ericlater said:
Joe

Aside from any legal considerations regarding the use of a PC hard drive at local venues, why do you say that you HAVE to carry a disc player, anyway?

Because many customers ( in my work area, at least)like to use the discs they practice with at home, and I may or may not have that particular version. So the option to play them is a selling point for the show. I aim to please...:sqwink:

Though I am capable of playing them in the PC drive, it was never meant for that sort of use, and a player is.

Because many customers ( in my work area, at least)like to use the discs they practice with at home, and I may or may not have that particular version. So the option to play them is a selling point for the show. I aim to please...:sqwink:

Though I am capable of playing them in the PC drive, it was never meant for that sort of use, and a player is.

Hey Joe is that an admission that you are running a PC based show now with a CDG player as backup and for customer discs?

Hey Joe is that an admission that you are running a PC based show now with a CDG player as backup and for customer discs?

Huh? Not even close. I ONLY use the PC for tiny house parties due to space limitations. I NEVER even carry one in the transport to a public venue.

The comment regarding the player backup was during the time that I WAS running a PC based show for a bit over a year- before going BACK to discs...

Huh? Not even close. I ONLY use the PC for tiny house parties due to space limitations. I NEVER even carry one in the transport to a public venue.

The comment regarding the player backup was during the time that I WAS running a PC based show for a bit over a year- before going BACK to discs...

****.... I thought I busted ya....:sqlaugh:

Joe,

This post is for you!

My girl June had a late start this past Thursday, she called me at 8:53 (we are going to have another talk about getting in and getting setup early one more time).

The reason, Software locked up and wouldn't load (S&D Digital Entertainer) She wanted to know if she should pull my system out of the van and use it!

I told her no it would take her longer to walk to the parking garage and back then hook it up than it would to just reload S&D.

So to control panel - Add remove programs - delete Digital Entertainer to desktop open the "stuff" folder click on Digital Entertainer let it load, then load files, back in operation at 9:07!

So yes I can now say I have had a computer issue for karaoke!

Friday, purchased another copy of Karma for that computer!

Back