What's new

Continuing Schooling: Yes Or No?

blurinoctober

New Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of pressure to continue schooling after high school. Do you agree with this pressure, did you continue your schooling? If so, how far did you go? Standard four years, even longer?

I am wondering because I was told my entire high school career, and for a full year after I graduated, that I was "the smart one" and that I needed to go to college. That I wouldn't be happy otherwise. I've been out of school for two years now and I haven't made any sort of effort to continue schooling, I have no interest to. I hear quite often that it's a poor decision to make but, hey, I'm doing life my own way.

Are you like this as well or did formal school benefit you? Any college horror stories?

Well, I finished secondary school at sixteen, and went straight on to college until age nineteen. Five years on, and I have done nothing pertaining to the qualifications I earned in college. So to me, college was a pure and simple waste of time.

Personally, I don't think college is a neccesity.
Sure, it helps when you apply for a job, but you're not going to start working in the field of your major right after college. In fact, you may not even get a job right after college.
Mots people who go to college right after high school don't even know what they want to do, so they end up wasting four years of their lives only to switch majors or to leave college still not knowing what they want to do.

I think people should just go to college, take their electives and then if they know what they want to major in, they should go for it. If they don't, they should probably take a few months off, or a year off to get a job, earn up some money to pay off the student loan and then go back to school when they know what they want to do.

it depends on where you want to go in life really
i did a little bit of community college to kind of figure out what i wanted to 'be'; and now i'm just going to finish up until i can ship myself off to a trade school and then get into the business haha

i think going to a large 4 year right off the bat isn't the best idea, given that you hardly ever know what you want straight out of high school and those types of colleges are expensive as hell
but i do think education is important, and that people should always be learning new things, so i'm not against college at all
just against going to places just because of their names haha

it just depends on the person!! some people are content with just moving up the ranks in a job that doesn't require any certification from college. some feel the need to be doctors or nurses or architects or lawyers. it's all pretty much whatever

i just wish people didn't look down on community college. its cheap and easy and good for when you just need something to fill a gap in your life

There is a lot of pressure to continue schooling after high school. Do you agree with this pressure, did you continue your schooling? If so, how far did you go? Standard four years, even longer?

I am wondering because I was told my entire high school career, and for a full year after I graduated, that I was "the smart one" and that I needed to go to college. That I wouldn't be happy otherwise. I've been out of school for two years now and I haven't made any sort of effort to continue schooling, I have no interest to. I hear quite often that it's a poor decision to make but, hey, I'm doing life my own way.

Are you like this as well or did formal school benefit you? Any college horror stories?
I continued my schooling, first for a law and justice diploma and Emergency management diploma, and then I went back for a diploma in healthcare.
The first time it took me two and a half years with doing extra coarse loads, and the second time it took me just under a year with extra coarse loads.

No college horror stories, I loved it both times and met my now husband the first time through.
I was fairly "meh" about the whole thing beforehand though.
I didn't quite know what I wanted to do exactly but I knew I wasn't going to be happy working a medial retail job for the rest of my life if I didn't go so I just picked something, applied to several schools and got accepted to all. my options were fairly open to me in that regard.
I also love my job now.

I chose a different lifestyle for myself so all you are discussing here is a rather new way of thinking. XD

But back on topic, I think that continueing schooling is important, not only for all the 'paper' things, the job right after the studies, but also for yourself. But then again, I'm a very curious and always seek to learn more and more, whatever subject...
Knowledge is super important ._.

I can take almost any academic pressure. This is because I'm driven. To become a doctor. This means a thundering 10 year's slog to get there. And I will, too. So you have to ask yourself, what do I want to be? Be in the professional field, work hard to achieve a good salary and the sort of life you want that a decent income brings? And a family later on? Good reading you were "the smart one". So am I. But why has your interest dwindled? And who was the berk who 'told' you? Are you going to keep listening to what they wrote you off to? Or, are you going to get back into higher ed and make something for yourself? Its not like me to sound mean, but you're aimless. Life's too short to waste your dreams. Are you really happy doing life your own way?

I'm only questioning because I care.

I never finished highschool, complete lack of motivation.

Different system here though, highschool starts at 14-16 and it's not uncommon to finish at 19-20.

I could never answer the "What do you want to be?" question, because I have no clue, and honestly I can't do the same for my whole life.

School, pre-college, can be a pretty awful experience and by the time one reaches college there is enormous pressure to perform and achieve the grades. I can quite understand some peoples' reticence to continue, but outside the education establishments, often there are no jobs to be had. One only has to look at an average town or city's unemployment stats to see why; and these days, finding a job is a job itself.

I continued my education for as long as my parents allowed; my father, utter pig as he was, didn't make life for me easy so I fled to Oslo where helped by my mother, I home schooled using the town's university-affiliated degree course and attended uni on the days required. I took a degrees in maths and the sciences, and in psychology. It was a long slog. Now I am head of my company, but on the architectural design side of executive management.

@blurinoctober I have huge admiration for your choosing the lifestyle you prefer. That website of yours is truly magnificent. Good luck in your endeavours. :)

~Rachel

I went through high school and univeristy. it was awesome and i strongly advise to go for it

Wall 'o Text Time, Guys...

It's really a personal choice. Me, I never wanted to go... ever. Not since I learned about it have I ever actually thought "**** I wanna/gotta go to college". No, it was always "****ing Hell no I ain't going to school for any longer than what's required!"

I mean my parents went to college but never finished, so there was kind of always that pressure to go there because they never finished and they wanted me to have the opportunity to make more money in life. But, their choice to get married instead of finishing school shouldn't really have an impact on me as far as this goes, so I really never cared about any of that.

Besides, the way they talked about college didn't exactly make it seem pleasant. All I ever got from what I was told was "you work yourself to death, end up in debt, all for a piece of paper that really doesn't prove jack **** --" and then my dad would just go off on rants about how he was the best candidate for certain jobs but because he didn't have a Bachelors degree the second or third best candidate got picked instead... even though my dad proved he was better for the job in question. Of course this was back in the days when they tested you first before bothering to see if you had a degree or not (and shooting you down or not by that and that alone, I mean).

Then I look at all of my friends and family who have gone to college, one of whom just graduated and he's in debt (in the negative he tells me), doesn't have a job, lives with his girlfriend and her parents (she worked, luckily for their rent while he was still in school), hated school, mostly hated all the bullshit classes he had to take (like having to take both Economics and then Feminist Economics because Fem.Ec. was the only class he could take for some reason - yeah, that tells me no one wants to take the class so they set it up to where you have to take it to pass). Hated all the work he had to do constantly, broke out in hives a few times from the constant stress of it all, got sick quite a bit, felt pressured to maintain perfect ****ing grades (because he was never told what he currently was making) while maintaining social relationships... so lack of sleep was the end result.

So finally he has his degree and he's finally decided to go into... charity work. Which doesn't exactly pay very well. It's managing so he gets paid just not a lot.
That poor ****. Not worth the effort, if you want my honest opinion.

But from all I've gathered about college, a degree isn't worth the time, money, or effort. Thing is, most people hiring for good jobs - or even ****ty jobs now - want you to have a degree. Which is stupid, you don't need a degree to run mail back and forth between people in a law office (I **** you not, there are places that do this).
Thing is, with all the debt you get it's just not that worth it.

As for myself, I was told "we're too broke to send you to college so if you don't wanna go, get a job and pay rent or if you do wanna go to college get a job part-time and go to college part-time".
I attempted college at one point but wasn't allowed in because I didn't have a physical diploma. I was homeschooled and got a certificate of completion when I finished, meaning I passed high school, but that wasn't acceptable for a ****ing community college so I would have had to pay to order a diploma from the school I was enrolled in (they offered them but they were pricy) plus having to churn-out another $45 to re-take an Accuplacer test so I didn't get stuck in a no-credit pre-Algebra class if I went to college. I wasn't about to take an extra math class and not get any credits for it.

Of course I royally bombed the math portion of that test (like I got 140-somthing on the reading part a 3 out of 5 on the writing... and then a 42 on the math, out of a presumably high possible score considering another person in my group got 150-something). So, yeah, royally bombed that part of the test but every other part of the test I passed with an average or way above average.
Point is, I wasn't about to pay money for a class I wasn't getting credits for.

But in the end it wasn't just the diploma thing, all the science classes were full all year round already so I couldn't enroll in college without a science class. Actually there was a few classes available but... I couldn't fathom going through that again, not without one of my cousins (the scientist out for a position at ****ing NASA) there to explain everything to me in the most simplistic way humanly possible... and Hell, he tried that and even then it went over my head... and over his mothers head (she was teaching me English and Math while I stayed with my Uncle for homeschooling - she was staying there too, along with her son, and she used to be a teacher so yeah). We were basically staring at him looking so confused and were all like "wut?" during the whole thing.

Eventually my Aunt had to get out the answer book so she could actually know what answer to lead me to.

And this was over Astronomy and Geology, both of which are boring as Hell to me. Astronomy I can manage with slightly but Geology? Yeah, I cheated my way through that.
I was begging for Math and English when it came to Geology, and I hate Math and English. At this point the only subjects I had that I actually knew how to do on my own were Government/Economics... which I got done with in a few months since I put off everything else and just did that.

Government I get, Economics I grasp, but everything else I had to learn that last year in HS? Hell the **** no.
I can't even do division, what makes you think I can do algebra? **** no, I cheated my way through math classes my entire life because no matter what I did I could never grasp numbers.
So this brings me to a big issue I have with college. They make you take classes that you don't even need. I get learning these subject in elementary, middle, and high school but in college - which you have to directly pay for - why take a bunch of bullshit classes you don't need or don't want to take? Hell, you're paying for it you should at least be able to pick what you take.

Now back then I didn't realize this but now that I do know what I want to do, people are pressuring me to enroll in an art college.... which are even more expensive and effectively useless for what I want to do since all art colleges I've come across (with the exception of CalArts) tend to focus more on graphic designs, animation, video games, so on so forth.
And I'm over here all like "I draw, paint, and make polymer jewelery and that's all I wanna do" but for whatever strange reason my parents, who don't know jack about art, seem to think I can learn things at an art college that I can't learn just by Google. Besides which, art degrees don't go many places unless you go into animation or design.
Point is, I haven't found one even potentially affordable art college that could offer me anything anything I didn't already know... by which I mean things I'd want to know. You can teach me how to animate, but what good will it do me if I have no interest in being an animator?

And CalArts is out of the question by virtue of it being in California.

Well, anyway, I really don't see what college could teach me to further what I wanna do. The only thing it could do for me is give me a piece of paper to flaunt around in the future, but I'd effectively be paying for paper and that just seems stupid. I think all this emphasis being placed on going to college is a problem really, because you have all these kids churning out money to get a degree then it ends up going nowhere for a good portion of them.

In the end though it's still a personal choice.

Speaking of which, I'm reminded of a couple of times this neighbor boy of mine asked me "so you're done with high school right?" and I say yes and he asks me "so what college are you going to?" and I say "I'm not going to college" and then he just gives me this utterly confused look like he never considered not going to college was an option. His brain tends to break after asking me that so normally he just shuts up, for once in his life, about it while trying to figure it out.
That or he's being his arrogant little **** self and choosing not to converse with someone not in college - like I'm stupid or something. I mean this kid is really obnoxious and arrogant, thinks he's superior. He tries to be nice sometimes, but he always ****s it up.
Anyway, point is his parents have drilled it into his head that college is the only option so when I say I'm not in college he wither doesn't understand it or thinks I was just too stupid to get in.

I think one time he actually did say "so when are you going to college then?" after I told him I wasn't because he assumed that it was my intention to go at some point. Then I probably said "I don't plan on going at all" or something and I'm sure he got really confused.
Though that's less like pressure and more like brainwashing, isn't it?

Well anyway, I can get further a long in life if people backed the **** off me and let me actually work on what it is I want to do rather than keep hounding me to go to college and/or get a job. Then they go and claim I'm not taking my art seriously. But really it's just that they keep making it to where I can't do it. Because they keep me so busy. If I went to college or had a job I'd never get anything done. I'm sure if i went to college I'd get sick of art just like I got sick of everything else I was ever good at because school made it boring, irritating, judgmental, and would likely be prone to committing homicide one day when I finally had enough of practically being insulted.
And yes, I get my art work practically insulted each time the **** subject comes up. They say they don't mean to be insulting, but really... calling my work 'immature' is insulting.

No, as much as I like comic books saying my artwork is only good enough to be in a comic book does come off as pretty **** insulting.

Well, sorry for the rant there but as I was thinking about all this I just got really pissed off.
Long story short is, I ****ing hate school so why in the world would I pay to go when it would just overwork me and do nothing good for me in the long run?

That's how I feel about it, so obviously I hate the pressure there is about going to college. It should be a personal choice and that's it as far as I'm concerned.

I finished high school at 16 (as you do in the UK) and there was a bit of pressure to go into the sixth form which I did for the first year. They basically get funding for every student they have so no wonder they wanted us to study there. I loathed it there (mainly because of the people) and got relatively poor grades. I left and I didn't know what to do but by the time I had decided, it was too late to apply, so I had an unplanned gap year, which I'm coming to the end of. I'm going to a college in August/September which is about an hour away but it's somewhere new and I'll hopefully enjoy it!

I went out of high school with plans of going to uni, went to college - got a job and realised how much I liked money, done too many shifts and got ill a lot because of 5 days working, 5 days of college - and then ?36k just to get my chosen masters degree, without maintenance and accommodation included was a bit of a 'Hell no!' for me.

I finished high school at 16 (as you do in the UK) and there was a bit of pressure to go into the sixth form which I did for the first year. They basically get funding for every student they have so no wonder they wanted us to study there. I loathed it there (mainly because of the people) and got relatively poor grades. I left and I didn't know what to do but by the time I had decided, it was too late to apply, so I had an unplanned gap year, which I'm coming to the end of. I'm going to a college in August/September which is about an hour away but it's somewhere new and I'll hopefully enjoy it!

I tried and failed to get into 6th form. They wanted 5 As or better in GCSE, which I thought was strange. College had less stringent requirements, but overall I don't think it helped me either way.

^ That's harsh

I want to go to university next September :)

Consider this:

You're stranded in the middle of the desert. It's hot outside, but you manage to find a bit of shade beside a small freshwater lake. You find an old, deserted shed, with various pieces of equipment and parts from old machines.

You might be able to find some berries to eat, or a wild animal to kill and roast over a fire, but do you have any idea how an air conditioner works? If you had all the parts you needed to make one in the shed, could you figure out how to live in comfort?

A lot of people, in my opinion, do not value an education for what it is truly worth. Naturally, as humans, we seek knowledge of the world around us. But today, with the technology we have, many of the machines and devices we use to make our lives comfortable are way too complicated for us to understand, without spending years upon years of studying them.

The only problem is, an education is not the same as school. School is a flawed and inefficient system for providing an education to as many people as possible.

First we learn how to read and write, and perform basic mathematical operations that calculators do for us. Then, by the time we're fed up with all of that, we start to learn seemingly useless facts about history, algebra, literature, and economics. But the problem is, after that, we're already sick of it.

Very few things that are taught in school are actually relevant to the real world. Students aren't taught to apply their knowledge, and many students don't even realize that they can.

I know it's going to be stressful, and I know I'm going to hate it. But, come hell or high water, I will get my degree. Truth be told, I actually like to learn. I want to know more about how the world works, and going to school is one way I can do that. It might seem like useless information, but I know it isn't.

If mankind never studied thermodynamics, we'd never have technologies such as air conditioning and internal combustion engines. If we never understood the properties of electricity, we'd never be able to have (efficient) computers, televisions, or radios. If we never understood how different types of soil react to heavy loads, we'd never be able to build skyscrapers.

School is dumb, most of the time, but learning in itself is pretty cool, actually.

I went to college because I doubted I'd find a job straight out of high school and felt it was best to invest my time getting some form of qualification; two years later and I had a triple distinction in IT, so at 'least I've got something decent against my name.

University has never really been an opportunity for me for a number of reasons. It's too costly, it's time-consuming, and I'm not willing to invest another two plus years of my life trying to earn a qualification I may or may not need, especially when I don't have any idea whatsoever what sort of career I want in the first place. Degrees, at 'least in the UK, don't seem to have as much weight as they used to, because they've gotten easier to achieve and as a result more people have them; I just don't fancy walking out in three years time with the highest grade only to find I can't get a job anyway, and that's what is happening at the moment.

The guy who lives next door to me went to university and got a high-level degree several years ago; he's only just managed to get a job about 20 miles away at a supermarket. For me, the point of going to university and getting ?40,000 in debt is to get a degree and get a better job, not wind up back in retail.

Back