What's new

Corded Or Wireless For Karaoke

Which One(s) Do You Use For Karaoke?

• Corded Mike (Drunks Can't Destroy It Or Walk Away Too Far With It)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wireless Mike (Because its Professional & Cool)

• Wireless Mike (Less Wires To Deal With)

• I Use A Combination Of Corded & Wireless At All My Shows.

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

ahoustondj

Active Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
(Assuming they are both the same quality) Which do you prefer using for Karaoke, a corded or wireless mike. Why and why not? Vote In Poll Please.

If it's a 'permanent' show where I can leave my cabling in place - wired.

If it's a set up and tear down show, wireless because it's faster to set up.

And I learned a long time ago the karaoke concept of 'good enough'. I was using a Mackie Onyx mixer, Peavey effects, Shure Beta 58's... basically, VERY good equipment and I watched them spike a $150 mic, scream into microphones, and all the other issues you run into. I watched shows with some of the worst mixing and obnoxious hosts succeed (it sounded like you were singing in a gynasium and the KJ insisted on singing over you if he didn't think you were 'good enough' or there was an area that most people screwed up - even though you nailed it). 99.999% of the people who come want 'good enough'. That being said, with the exception of them walking out of the place with a microphone, sound quality isn't a reason to use wired over wireless. ;)

I don't see any reason to use wired at a karaoke show.... I use a pair of cheap Audio Techs for my singers.... they are just as good sounding as any so-called wired drunk mics.... better actually... I use them and have compared them to my wireles shure and honestly other than they are a little brighter and their range isn't as good... they are comparable just as good.... and range in a bar isn't an issue anyway.

I have Shure wireless 58's for my singers they are built like tanks and sound good.

I feel the only karaoke host that use wired mics are cheap.

I use a combination dependent on need. I set up with 3 wireless ( not including mine). 2 Shure, and one steel Pyle drunk mic, all UHF. I also have wired Shure's for those times when the wireless mics start being held to,or too far away.

Of course, the wired mics are great for additional singers, there are no worries about any transmission problems, no batteries to worry about, and are always consistent sounding. Nothing wrong with using them solely for a show either. I only went to mostly wireless for singer convenience and comfort.

DJ Cam said:
I have Shure wireless 58's for my singers they are built like tanks and sound good.

I feel the only karaoke host that use wired mics are cheap.

Lots of bands use corded mikes. Are they cheap too? There are corded mikes that cost more than some wireless mikes, does that also make a host cheap?

Just asking?:sqerr:

In my experience... by the time you deal with the expense of drunks pulling on cables and yanking on things... it's almost more cost effective in the SHORT run to use wireless microphones. However... in the LONG run... the cost of batteries will add up.

Now, if I'm doing a really nice show... I end up using my wired SM86's.

However... in the LONG run... the cost of batteries will add up.

I was ordering Duracell Procell AA's by the gross and going through them like beer on a Friday night. I had always heard bad things about rechargeable's, but after reading a glowing test review decided to take a chance and try these (Titanium 2700 mAh). I bought 8 just to try, and WOW. They are FANTASTIC. A pair will power my SM58 wireless mics all night on a charge, and the mics perform perfectly. If you are buying endless AA batteries, save yourself some dough and get some. Mine have already paid for themselves.

theshorelinemarket_2085_371081375

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tpeh-taa2700.html

I was ordering Duracell Procell AA's by the gross and going through them like beer on a Friday night. I had always heard bad things about rechargeable's, but after reading a glowing test review decided to take a chance and try these (Titanium 2700 mAh). I bought 8 just to try, and WOW. They are FANTASTIC. A pair will power my SM58 wireless mics all night on a charge, and the mics perform perfectly. If you are buying endless AA batteries, save yourself some dough and get some. Mine have already paid for themselves.

theshorelinemarket_2085_371081375

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tpeh-taa2700.html

On the other hand I use Procells in my Shure Mics (9V) and generally get three to four shows out of them a box of 12 will last me about a month at a cost of $19 a box (business discount).

While I am generally wireless I use both, either/and/or wireless and wired!

So far I haven't been able to find a KSM 44 in a wireless version yet!

On the other hand I use Procells in my Shure Mics (9V) and generally get three to four shows out of them a box of 12 will last me about a month at a cost of $19 a box (business discount).

And for less than the price of a box you could get two of these and be good for a year or two. Rated at a minimum 500 charges (shows). That's over $700 in batteries.

theshorelinemarket_2085_520805980

You could also get your conventional batteries from the same people (www.BatteryJunction.com). 12 Procell 9V for $15 and with every order they send you a 10% discount coupon for your next order which drops it down to $13.50 for 12. Great deals.

Geez you'd think I work for them, which I do not. Just a very satisfied customer!

I've been using rechargeable batteries for years without any problems. I always have 2 chargers with charged batteries ready to go if I need them.

Yes,

But I was kidding aout using it for Karaoke, it stays in the studio!

Yes,

But I was kidding aout using it for Karaoke, it stays in the studio!

I would imagine so! What if you used it for Karaoke and a drunk puked all over it! :sqeek: Would you let the drunk slide? :sqerr:

I use Shure SM58's (Corded), when the drunks drop them they might get a dent in the wind screen but I can replace the wind screens once a year for about $12. each. I bought a EV wireless for weddings and now it is held together with black tape because the best man dropped it and before he could pick it up somebody stepped on it(only had it about 4 months). Not buying another one until it quits. Need to look into Shure wireless, if it can take what my wired SM58 can it would be worth it. I know they make a SM58 wireless but I don't know how tough the electronics in it are.

Need to look into Shure wireless, if it can take what my wired SM58 can it would be worth it. I know they make a SM58 wireless but I don't know how tough the electronics in it are.

FWIW, mine have been dropped several times. I always cringe...hold my breath...and they just keep on rockin'. They use the same grille as a standard SM58. Replace, and good as new!

Another point is that they are modular. You can unscrew the mic head from the transmitter body and should you need to, only replace the part you need. This also means you can upgrade to a Beta, etc, without having to buy a whole new unit.

Cords are an archaic method of mic'ing a singer. Cords fail, they are trip hazards, and they damage things when they are tripped over. They allow the singer to Roger Daltrey the mic... Wireless creates a freer flowing stage,a safer environment and fosters a more dynamic performance from singers who are not tethered to your PA.

The cost of a decent wireless minus the cost of decent wired mic is not a huge difference, and that difference in cost, amortized over the number of shows you use them at is not a huge amount.

Wireless...the only way to fly professionally. Dont worry about drunks dropping them, or stealing them. If it happens it happens, but you will find, after you have done THOUSANDS of shows as I have, that it is a rare occurance, and you will spend more money dealing with cord issues. Be firm about not letting people baton your mics or get out of view...but diligence is a part of our game anywho...

Thank goodness the karaoke hosts used wireless mic's years ago when I was single and used to hit the local bars / pubs. If they hadn't, how the heck would I have been able to jump from booth to booth singing to all the different chicks? :sqrolleyes:

Thank goodness the karaoke hosts used wireless mic's years ago when I was single and used to hit the local bars / pubs. If they hadn't, how the heck would I have been able to jump from booth to booth singing to all the different chicks? :sqrolleyes:

I still do it :sqwink::sqlaugh:

Back