What's new

Culvers vs. Dairy Queen

LOVE Johnny's in EP!! Used to live three blocks from there and went often. My mouth is watering thinking about it.

portillos is over priced beef sandwiches IMO and their fries suck

lol

BUT as for ice cream

hello--Culvers taste so much better :)

my old order at Portillos would be 2 Jumbo Hot dogs (ketchup and mustard only, large cheese fry and a large diet easy ice). Oh how I miss the cheese fries!!

We rarely eat beef outside of our home anymore. DH has a friend who owns his own meat company. We get the beef sliced fresh....so good!!!!!

We rarely eat beef outside of our home anymore. DH has a friend who owns his own meat company. We get the beef sliced fresh....so good!!!!!

FYI Portillo's slices their beef fresh daily.

my sil just catered portillos this weekend--it came in the same type of vacuumed sealed bags the beef I get from restaurant depot does..

my sil just catered portillos this weekend--it came in the same type of vacuumed sealed bags the beef I get from restaurant depot does..

Not sure about the catering side. We sliced the roasts every morning and portioned out in 5lb bags.

That is too funny because I can't stand fresh cut fries. They are always so flimsy and soggy and usually have a burnt taste to them. My all time favorrite fries are Checkers. They are covered in seasoning and they taste so good. All the Checkers closed around here and I was so sad. I only get my fix when we go to FL. Speaking of which, Steve...please go get my fix for me this year as this is the first winter we won't be heading down there. :pout:

I love Checkers fries too! We got fries a few times when we went to Disney last year. I was so glad to see them in the frozen section of Meijer & Walmart, not the same...but close!

As for Culvers vs. Dairy Queen, I do like Culver's custard, but also have enjoyed a PB parfait in the past.

Why are you moving to Phoenix? Job opportunity?

Yes. DH graduates from law school in May and he has an associate job in a firm that starts in September. All our parents and my sis/BFF are out there too, and we both grew up there (but have been in Illinois for 17 years).

That is too funny because I can't stand fresh cut fries. They are always so flimsy and soggy and usually have a burnt taste to them. My all time favorrite fries are Checkers. They are covered in seasoning and they taste so good. All the Checkers closed around here and I was so sad. I only get my fix when we go to FL. Speaking of which, Steve...please go get my fix for me this year as this is the first winter we won't be heading down there. :pout:

I LOVE Checkers fries. We always go when we are in FL too.

As for Culvers vs. Dairy Queen, I do like Culver's custard, but also have enjoyed a PB parfait in the past.

I'm not completely down on Dairy Queen. I enjoy a dilly bar and a fudge nut bar every once in a while. Although they are pretty expensive when you buy a pack of them.

I just find it interesting how a lot of people haven't had Culvers before or don't understand the difference between custard and ice cream.

All this talk about Culvers ... I think that's what is going to be for lunch today.

Culver's signs right now crack me up. The flavor of the day is on top, then "Walleye is back" on the second line,
but it looks like "Chocolate Oreo Avalanche Walleye is Back!"

My first job was at DQ (I was 14). If I want a soft serve, that's where I go. Their mix was always ice milk, low-ish fat, the machines are what put in the air to get it servable. I remember we used to make the dilly bars and sandwiches and such in house, but I think they probably make them in a factory somewhere now. I LOVED decoraing the cakes, we made those all in-house too.

I don't care for Culvers. But it is literally across the street from us, so the kids do eat there. We also have Oberweis dairy stores here, they have actual ice cream and I think that is pretty good, too.

(But I also really like Colonial Cafe)

My first job was at DQ (I was 14). If I want a soft serve, that's where I go. Their mix was always ice milk, low-ish fat, the machines are what put in the air to get it servable. I remember we used to make the dilly bars and sandwiches and such in house, but I think they probably make them in a factory somewhere now. I LOVED decoraing the cakes, we made those all in-house too.

I don't care for Culvers. But it is literally across the street from us, so the kids do eat there. We also have Oberweis dairy stores here, they have actual ice cream and I think that is pretty good, too.

Love me some Oberweis, just went last weekend when DH got home from his business trip. Enjoyed 770 calories of a Peanut Butter Sundae :)

Back