What's new

custody of grand child

annpiotrowski

Expert Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here had to try and get legal custody of their grandchild? I live in Illinois, Chicago exactly and my daughter has a drug problem. She left ( supposedly to go into detox,) too many lies to believe her, but left my three year old granddaughter with us. I want to make sure she stays with us. Any advise? TIA

I can ask my boss...I think you would have a solid case but you should obtain legal counsel first. Good luck! I will PM you with any info. my boss has.

I have custody of my nephew. Legal Guardianship is what I have. Is more secure and MUCH harder to dissolve than a custody order. Legal Guardianship orders are generally permanent until the child becomes an adult.

Ann when my DH gets home I will have a name for you. You live in the city, right?

You can do the paperwork on your own, but it's better to involve a lawyer in the City because of the prevalence of DCFS. Do you have a couple $k for a retainer?

How long has your daughter been gone? FYI any lawyer will tell you to have no contact with your daughter at all, and do not reach out to try to find her.

Where is Dad?

Has anyone here had to try and get legal custody of their grandchild? I live in Illinois, Chicago exactly and my daughter has a drug problem. She left ( supposedly to go into detox,) too many lies to believe her, but left my three year old granddaughter with us. I want to make sure she stays with us. Any advise? TIA

so sorry that you have to go through this. My only advice would be document, document, document! other instances when she has left, lied, or put her daughter in harm's way. I so glad she had the sense to leave her with you. Good Luck!

Anyway Ann prior to talking to any lawyer, best to have a short descriptive timeline of events for them. You can either prepare it beforehand or pay them to sit there while you talk it all out to them (so prepare it before then :) )

Also it will be best if you IMMEDIATELY put the baby in some enrichment programs. Not daycare per se (unless she is already at day care) but pre school, church programs. Park District art. YMCA sports things or tumbling. If you feel that you can take her to church regularly and get involved there.

This process is about appearances and self-control. You must always keep your emotions in check, answer only the questions that are asked, and everything you must say is "in <child'sname> best interests." Don't call her "my grandchild." Call her by her name. This is a semantics issue that is very much a hot button with judges. They do not care for the attitude that kids are thought of as property.

If you don't know where your daughter is, make no attempt to contact her. If you are asked where she might be, say you have no idea. It is very possible with an aggressive lawyer you can have an emergency order in a couple of days and a permanent order is typically after a year.

The longer you have her, the more likely you are to keep her. Measure in days, then weeks. Then I was happy when it was 1 year, then shocked when it was 5. Now he will be graduating HS and it has been 10 years. I can't imagine what his life would have been without this arrangement for us. It was worth every $, every tear, every ulcer, migraine, all of it.

my husband cousin took total custody of his grandson--BUT mother agreed to it

that was 8 years ago--Mother and son are back together and mother did a 100% turn around! ( there is hope!)

The first atty my DH had is a judge now, so can't use that one.

I PMd you a name. If they can't handle your case, they will refer you to an appropriate lawyer in Chicago.

Good luck.

:hug:

Good luck. I hope this goes in your favor and your DD gets the help she needs.

:grouphug: Sorry for the stress this is causing you Ann, but God bless you for your willingness to step up and be there for the sweet little girl who needs you.

Thank you all very much. Best interest of Kate is my concern. You guys made me feel a little better

I didn't mean you had to use her name here LOL

But in court it is important.

The hardest thing for me was to detach from my sister. I had to discard any concerns I had regarding how she might feel about it. How my nephew might feel about it too (and he was 7). We made the best decisions we could at the time. That's all anyone can do.

:hug:

She is very lucky to have a loving grandparent!

Good Luck!

:grouphug: Sorry for the stress this is causing you Ann, but God bless you for your willingness to step up and be there for the sweet little girl who needs you.
:shesaid: She is so lucky to have you there for her :hug:

Back