What's new

[Debate] Teenage Mothers and Benefits

Han

;)
PF Member
Reaction score
Tory MPs urge that the Prime Minister brings in tougher conditions for teenage mothers receiving housing benefits. The '40 Group' within the Tory house suggest that the system currently in place which provides free housing from the council with a child being born is one which is encourages young teenage girls to have children. The group believe that the government should be tougher with this system, restricting certain benefits; including automatic free housing, for those who bare a child. You can find the full report by clicking here.

While some argue that a new and tougher system should be in place to discourage issues such as teenage pregnancy, others argue that it would be unfair treatment for the most vulnerable and worst off in society in order to score themselves a few political points.
What do you think?

If they think they can afford to get pregnant they can afford contraception.

It pisses me off that a 15 year old girl can get knocked up, a free place to live etc and all I get is work my my **** off to get what I want in life. Bullshit :)

Benefits just tend to do that for everyone. It does annoy me that teenagers are able to have children, get their own place, have never worked in their lives... and go out clubbing a lot of weekends when they come of age, yet even when I was working more than 50 hours a week I couldn't afford to do that.

Back