What's new

Direct 3-D ???

The Wizard Of OZ

Active Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I should have posted this in the computer forum, but here it is. I'm trying to help out a friend, He's a Viet Nam vet and he wants to practice Karaoke at home so he can learn new songs and just generally practice.

I told him about Karafun and he downloaded it, but he get's an error message saying his computer doesn't support Direct 3-D. I updated his Active X to the most recent and still no luck. He has a Lenovo laptop about 2 years old running XP. Any suggestions?

I don't know if I should have posted this in the computer forum, but here it is. I'm trying to help out a friend, He's a Viet Nam vet and he wants to practice Karaoke at home so he can learn new songs and just generally practice.

I told him about Karafun and he downloaded it, but he get's an error message saying his computer doesn't support Direct 3-D. I updated his Active X to the most recent and still no luck. He has a Lenovo laptop about 2 years old running XP. Any suggestions?

Hardware issue, most likely.

Many Direct 3D apps require hardware acceleration to function properly. Many laptops with low end video, do not support hardware acceleration.

I don't know Karafun, but perhaps it has a setting to disable hardware accel...

Speaking of this, has anyone else noticed that on Comcast Digital Cable you can 'play' Karaoke songs using the 'on-demand' feature?

I upgraded his Direct X and active x and still no workie. I think his XP has a lot of problems and he has a bunch of garbage programs on his machine cluttering things up. He should probably reinstall windows xp, but he doesn't know where his discs are.

Jeez, what a mess. As much as I want to help him there is only so much time and effort I can devote to it. I have tons of things I need to do. I also went to windows update and it said he was current on all updates. I have a couple of OLD XP desktops and my Vista laptop and Karafun runs on all three.

There's a free Karaoke plug-in for Windows Media Player. I'll try to find it for you.

In the meantime, make sure he has at least SP2 install with XP. That should resolve a lot of issues.

I took a look at their page Wiz, and as I suspected:

"In the Display menu, you can check the video memory. It's important to have more than 16Mb of video RAM (32Mb or more is highly recommended!).

The most important requirement to run KaraFun is to have a Direct3D support, check if the "Direct3D acceleration" is enabled.

If you doesn't meet these two conditions, you'll probably have to upgrade your PC.
"

If he's got acceleration available, you will need to turn it on in his video card setup.

Is this in the display control panel where you enable diret x 3-D acceleration etc,?

As far as I'm concerned at this point he needs to get his laptop in order and working properly and then I'll help him learn how use Karafun and how to rip discs, how to get songs into the program etc.

On XP, you right click an empty spot on the desktop, choose Properties. Go to the Settings tabs, and click on Advanced.

If the accel driver is available, it should show up there -- if not, he probably doesn't have the hardware or drivers necessary. In that case, you could try finding the latest video drivers for his video card/lappy, and see if they have any...

I hate tech support for other people. I was hopin it would be something simple aand maybe for some folks it is. He's just going to have to figure it out himself and I'll help him after his PC is straightened out. I need to get ready for a gig tomorrow night . . .

Wiz when you have a few extra minutes download CPU-Z, unzip it on his machine, and run it (it doesn't have to be installed) then export the results as HTML, throw them in a zip and attach them here. This way we can see what kind of video card he's running and if it supports Direct 3D

Thanks Dan, you're awesome. I'll email it to him or I may see him in the next couple of days and I'll have him bring his laptop with him.

Ok, I'm not sure how I did it, but I got it working and I cleaned up his PC big time. Here is what I did.

First I went into his display settings and unlike my laptop there was nothing to my surprise that mentioned Direct 3-D, this had me confused.

Then I put Ccleaner on his machine. Next I went through the add and remove programs control panel and cleaned house. Got rid of a ton of programs. Restarted and ran Ccleaner and got rid of some more. Then I ran the registry cleaner on Ccleaner and the general Ccleaner clean out utility. This got rid of over 2 GB of crap and over 800 registry entries.

Then I restarted again. The machine booted much faster and ran better. Then I launched Karafun and for whatever reason it ran perfectly. He was THRILLED. So, I did my good deed. It took over an hour to do all of this.

Back