What's new

Do you particpate in Donations? Fundraisers? ETC...

I donate my time, brain, brawn, and goods to charities and causes I believe in. All are equally needed.

I also thoroughly check out all charities, only giving to those with low overhead costs, not to places that spend say 60% of funds raised on administrative salaries or fundraising. There are so many scams out there, where more money goes to overhead than to the programs or people who are the basis for the charity.

I donate to animal charities, I always buy crap i don't need from Boy & girl scouts & from my friends whose kids are selling for school & sports. I also help my brother & ex-sil with food & cat food.

we never do school fundraisers.........but will support clubs like boyscouts though we refuse to buy that over priced popcorn

Not at this time. I wish I could, tho.

With Pat possibly going to prison on Nov 10 and I am the only one working, I cant even hardly afford to take care of us :(

Yes, I have Marfan's, just diagnosed in September. I have been monitored for years because of family history but had no issues. Then crushing chest pains woke me up on a Sunday morning, and off to the ER I went. My aortic root valve is enlarged (4/10 of a centimeter away from requiring open heart surgery :( My twin sister and my sister a year older both have Marfan's and had aortic aneurysms - twin got the mechanical valve replacement in May, older sister had the pig's heart valve replacement in 2004. In 1998 my paternal grandmother died of complications from an aortic aneurysm and in 2005 my father died in his sleep of an aortic aneurysm - they also had Marfan's. Both my kids are suspected to have it as well.

Does your DH have the physical "traits" or has he had complications? :huggy:

Can I ask why Marfan's is close to your heart? DH's doctors have suspected for a long time that he may have it. He has a lot of common symptoms, but no conclusive evidence that he actually has it. Also, one of his close friends and mentors in college passed away at the age of 30 after having an aneurysm caused by undiagnosed Marfan's.

Yes, I have Marfan's, just diagnosed in September. I have been monitored for years because of family history but had no issues. Then crushing chest pains woke me up on a Sunday morning, and off to the ER I went. My aortic root valve is enlarged (4/10 of a centimeter away from requiring open heart surgery :( My twin sister and my sister a year older both have Marfan's and had aortic aneurysms - twin got the mechanical valve replacement in May, older sister had the pig's heart valve replacement in 2004. In 1998 my paternal grandmother died of complications from an aortic aneurysm and in 2005 my father died in his sleep of an aortic aneurysm - they also had Marfan's. Both my kids are suspected to have it as well.

Does your DH have the physical "traits" or has he had complications? :huggy:

They first suspected it when he was a teenager because he developed scoliosis and TMJ. Since those are both skeletal problems, the doctor thought they might be connected by Marfan's. He also has some of the other traits - he's tall and lanky, wears glasses, and had a slight heart murmur as a baby. They've done some kind of screening for it once or twice but didn't come up with anything. Every time he goes to the optometrist, they check him again for any signs of it in his eyes. He doesn't have a family history of it, as far as we know.

I'm so glad they caught yours before anything worse happened! I hope it doesn't get any worse for you.

Absolutely sounds like the indicators of Marfans. My older sister had much more sever indicators throughout her life than my twin and I did. Now that he is in his 30's, barring any symptoms he should consider a cardiac check up annually or at least bi-annually. Hopefully he won't have any issues either!

They first suspected it when he was a teenager because he developed scoliosis and TMJ. Since those are both skeletal problems, the doctor thought they might be connected by Marfan's. He also has some of the other traits - he's tall and lanky, wears glasses, and had a slight heart murmur as a baby. They've done some kind of screening for it once or twice but didn't come up with anything. Every time he goes to the optometrist, they check him again for any signs of it in his eyes. He doesn't have a family history of it, as far as we know.

I'm so glad they caught yours before anything worse happened! I hope it doesn't get any worse for you.

Got a lil funny......so a couple weeks ago in the middle of the Conagra deal (popcorn) I walked into a store (Shopko in Kenosha) where a Boy Scout was selling popcorn outside. He said "Do you wanna buy some popcorn?" I almost said "Not full price." :lol:

LMAO KG!!! I didn't see your post before typing mine!

I have 4 cubscouts and I didnt buy popcorn from them!! :lol: My 8 year old said "Mom could we get some of that ultimate butter microwave popcorn?" I said well....today inside (we were doing our time outside of Jewel) I can buy OR Tender White for 9 cents a bowl...Scout popcorn is $1.00 per bowl....which do you like better?! If he would have said he liked Scout popcorn better I would have sprung for a 18 pack...but he actually does prefer Tender White so I wasn't buying!! These guys can easily go through 2 packs for afternoon snack and I like paying 18 cents for a snack rather than $2.00! Our pack set a goal of $500 per scout and I figure if I have to make up the difference I'm not buying stuff we won't use!!

I have 4 cubscouts and I didnt buy popcorn from them!! :lol: My 8 year old said "Mom could we get some of that ultimate butter microwave popcorn?" I said well....today inside (we were doing our time outside of Jewel) I can buy OR Tender White for 9 cents a bowl...Scout popcorn is $1.00 per bowl....which do you like better?! If he would have said he liked Scout popcorn better I would have sprung for a 18 pack...but he actually does prefer Tender White so I wasn't buying!! These guys can easily go through 2 packs for afternoon snack and I like paying 18 cents for a snack rather than $2.00! Our pack set a goal of $500 per scout and I figure if I have to make up the difference I'm not buying stuff we won't use!!

When the boy scouts knocked on our doors selling pancake breakfast/dinner tickets, I always get a few, if we don't go, we give to in laws and their friends.
In the midst of ConAgra deal, two boys knocked on our door selling popcorn, I almost offer to give them some. :lol:

When the boy scouts knocked on our doors selling pancake breakfast/dinner tickets, I always get a few, if we don't go, we give to in laws and their friends.
In the midst of ConAgra deal, two boys knocked on our door selling popcorn, I almost offer to give them some. :lol:

If it was Tender White my guys would have gone for it!!:lol: Today is the pancake breakfast and we got tickets but didnt' go. DH went to Iowa for the Hawkeye game and I'm spending the day doing laundry and cleaning....(a little internet surfing!:giggles:)

Back