What's new

Do you put candy on your child's valentines?

B

boyzrus

I've never put candy on the kids' valentines. This year I cracked and got the ones that you put the lollipops on. Turns out that there was a note sent home saying no candy on valentines.

So I'm curious if you put candy on them and if your school has any rule about it.

I'm ok with the rule, but I understand it's class specific and I don't like that. It should be all or nothing.

Happy Valentine's Day!

I started buying the valentines that had candy with it--this year sponge bob lick m aides--because every year my child has had Valentines with candy on the note.
This year, the teacher sent home a note saying please refrain from sending extra candy because the room parents have planned an awesome party.
I don't care--this is what he wanted--the kids look at their Valentines at home--where the parents can decide if they want it or not
I remember the first time I saw people putting candy hearts and all sorts of things on the Valentines I was surprised--but it was more normal than not normal.
Every year since, I have done something
I use to give out bags of popcorn--but without the Conagra deals I didn't do it this year--It was fun to have poppin in to say Happy Valentines Day!
I miss those days!!!!

Last year I let my daughter buy Skittles Valentines. She was not allowed to give them to her friends because of the school's healthy foods policies.

No candy, no junk food, no "unhealthy" snacks.

So, this year we got pencils....

We had one teacher who told the kids they had to make their valentines (Catholic school). While it was a pain to do it, it kind of made them focus on the meaning of the valentine.

Now it seems more about the candy, as you can see by my caving in to it. :)

The worst thing is that the little man is upset that he won't be getting any candy!

Is there really any "meaning" to a Valentine in a religious context?

V Day is a Hallmark holiday. No meaning to be gleaned from making valentines rather than just buying them.

I'm a K teacher and 90% of my kids do have candy or some kind of treat on their valentines.

My own kids are in 1st and 2nd and they are not allowed to bring any kind of food to school to pass out for all/any holidays because of allergies. I guess I get it, but it sure takes the fun out of birthdays and holidays.

maybe instead of St Valentines day the Catholic school take a moment to teach about SAINT Valentine

as they do on SAINT Patricks day and SAINT Nicolas day

atleast that is what my kids school did

even before I "made" cookies I used to bake cookies and dip in chocolate and bag up with a topper that said happy Valentinesd ay--so Valentine and treat combined!

Is there really any "meaning" to a Valentine in a religious context?

V Day is a Hallmark holiday. No meaning to be gleaned from making valentines rather than just buying them.

I don't think there's any religious meaning to it, I think the teacher was trying to emphasize thinking about the person the valentine was for. DS #3 didn't make them all the same, he did different things for different people. It was something fun to do with him.

That teacher had to leave after a few years. She had some great ideas which didn't go over so well. The parents at the Catholic school we attended were not very receptive. I was sad when she left.

We couldn't when the kids were in school. The only days we could send candy to school was for Christmas and another holiday we have called Fiesta. We couldn't send any food on other holidays. If someone sent candy with Valentines the teachers would take it off and either throw it away or give it back to the parent. It was some nutrition clause the school district had. I always thought it was silly since you don't get fat eating treats on holidays, you get fat eating treats all the time but whatever.

This year DGS didn't want to do Valentines...he's too cool now, as a 6th grader...but his class is having a party...so we wrote "From Jacob" on mini bags of Swedish Fish...it really sucks that you can't send anything homemade to the school for treats anymore...

We got the Pixie stix valentines this year. I didn't see a no candy note and my son's class is having an ice cream sundae party, so I am not too worried. We also sent in little bags with a pencil, a conversation heart eraser, little booklets of stickers or activites or temp tattoos.

So far no notes about not sending it, but I haven't in the past anyway. This year we did pencil ones, and last year was tattoos. The year before that there was some free deal on Rice Krispie treats, so that was a nice thing to send in! What worries me about the valentines with the candy included is that a high percentage of the candy is made in China. I always check it carefully, because we will not eat anything made in China!!

at my kids Catholic elementary school for grades 6-8 they do not have a Valentines party, instead they celebrate Mardi Gras

Last year I let my daughter buy Skittles Valentines. She was not allowed to give them to her friends because of the school's healthy foods policies.

No candy, no junk food, no "unhealthy" snacks.

So, this year we got pencils....

Schools here have instituted this "healthy food policy" Michelle Obama has put into action. If they bring something not on the approved "list" the lunchladies will throw it away.
Why can't the government stay out of my kids food? Because some other child "may " be overweight. It's none of their business.

ummm at my kids elementary school--long before Michelle Obama
sugary snacks were banned=except on party days
this is going back 10 years ago or more

ps

one of the funniest things about the healthy food rule was us moms found foods that made the healthy list had more sugar then the unhealthy list--ummm and we found it a point to let the school know

ummm at my kids elementary school--long before Michelle Obama
sugary snacks were banned=except on party days
this is going back 10 years ago or more

It's a **** good thing that you make healthy cookies. :lol:

Back