What's new

Do You Use Stage Monitors

Do You Use Stage Monitors At Your Karaoke Show?

• I Use A Pair of Passive Monitors

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Use A Single Active Monitor

• I Use A single Passive Monitor

• Are You Kidding Me? That Will Increase My Load!

• No! But I Will Like To Get Monitor(s)

• Nope, Don't Want Them!

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
It's Karaoke said:
I try to use monitors for every show i do, no matter how large or small. It is so very important the singer hears everything. I bought these little 12" wharfedales last year, they sure get down and serious when the need arises. You don't need expensive name brands, just one that works.

Those are nice looking and I like the vertical wedge vs the horizontal wedge. Side Inputs are also a plus. Not a bad price either.

Carvin makes a decent vertical wedge. I use vert cuz they use less space than alot of monitors that have to be turned sideways. I use a 1u (monitor) amp for a seprate mix too.

ahoustondj said:
Joe,
I can't help but comment on your setup arrangement. I will NEVER setup two speakers face to face or diagonal (Similar to face to face) unless all four corners are covered ie. 4 speakers. There has got to be canceling issues and noise bombardment for folks caught in the middle.
I guess in your instance it must be working for you.

I don't think I posted as clearly as I should have. I said AT LEAST 2 diagonally. That didn't include other speakers, and it also requires a certain amount of room (distance) to do. The diagonal would be room distant- and not face to face- a little speaker and sound direction/bouncing is involved as well.

This set up is VERY venue and accoustic dependent. Believe me, there are plenty of venues where the sound all comes from the stage side of the room- unfortunately....

I used own 4 of the DTH wedge monitors but they were way to heavy and way to powerful to use as KJ monitors (they worked very well as venue speakers though but for short throw apps as they used a wave guide instead of a focused horn!

For Karaoke (when need them) I now use the little fender 10" powered monitors!

If I need more I setup a cross stage monitoring system using 10" or 12" mains pole mounted! Much like what Lee is saying, only one set of the speakers are dedicated to the stage and another set is dedicated to the FOH!

it depends on the venue one bar has a house set up with three monitors there is another place where I bring one of my own and others are just too small to use any

No I don't want them - well most of the time...

I'm one of the guys who posted no - don't want them - but as Thunder
says - depends on the venue.......... If you're running high quality audio,
and the stage monitors are too close - Feedback problems -

I've recently been forced into a situation where I use big powered speakers
actually behind the singers about 40 degrees left and right, and about
7 - 9 feet from them........... You're thinking big feedback problem -

Nope - I've solved that with the Sabine FBX 2400 feedback exterminator -
Adjusted properly this baby does an incredible job......I insert it in my
two guests mics channels - not on the mixer output....

Can the singer hear himself ? Oh yes..........Most of my singers say they
have never heard themselves so well ever before.....

It also works well with the FBX's when I'm doing a corporate karaoke, and
the space is scrunched in tight - my singers can have high quality sound
and hear themselves quite clearly - just like everyone else hears them in
the room........

If I have a 14' - 20' wide stage, and it's a contest or something, I like to
use a pair of Mackie SRM 450's standing vertically near the front of the
stage and coming straight back to the singer - that works really nicely....
(of course in addition to the house speakers)

Using a nearby wedge with karaoke singers is just asking for feedback and
blown speakers - or level turned down so low they can't hear themselves
anyway - As a rule, karaoke singers will drop that mic. down - pointed
straight at the wedge.......not very nice........

I will not sing on your system - or mine -if I can't hear myself clearly - and you don't adjust my mic for best possible quality !

Steve,

I meant on their sides, not as side fill. Side fills can be awesome though. Unless you are the band member right next to them!!!

Many speakers double as monitors when you turn them ON their sides. I like the layout of the vert's better than having your horn on the left or right of the main driver.

Lee

I used a single JBL EON tonight my singers loved it and thanked me.

My Tuesday bar is quite large as I feel 2 Turbosound TXD121 and 2 TXD 118 are just barely enough. If they paid me more the adequate system would be 2 Dula 15's and 2 dual 18's.

But the monitor in my setup "stage area" made a huge difference.

Back