What's new

SeanQuinn87

Expert Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
This is to all the forum owners / admins / mods out there.. When you are setting up a forum and adding all the sticky threads with your rules, etc.. Do you write the forum rules from scratch? or Do you search for a template / mock rules list then just edit parts of it to suit you / your forum? :p

Always write your own rules. People have copied from elsewhere and not done any modification, and it still links back to the other site.

You can get idea from other place but you must write your own rules

I would always write my own forum rules and I’d also take plenty of time to make sure they’re written properly and clearly so people know what is expected of them. I like to make sure that the rules don’t impede discussion. They should just be about keeping people safe and respecting others.

When it comes to forum rules, I will normally look at other forums and review the rules they have in effect. Sometimes I will copy and paste the rules into Google Docs and will make adjustments as needed. Other times, I will just use the rules as a template and will create my own forum rules.

I have two forums and I wrote all the rules myself. However, most of the rules are based on standard practices such as no hate speech, respect for other members, no promotion of materials/content deemed illegal by the advertisers on the forum, etc.

I think you should write your own rules because they don't seem to be really hard to write. You're just writing down what you allow on your forum and what you don't allow. I think people over complicate them and make them bigger deals than they are.

Write your on rules, copying and pasting is just lazy and shows poor care on the owner's part.

I have always wrote my own rules cause different forums need different rules.I have owned lots of forum in the last 20 years and the rules have all been different.

You should always write your own forums rules because you're the one deciding what is and what is not allowed to be talked about on your forum! If you let someone else write it they might have a different opinion to you and write something you don't agree with. It doesn't take long to write forum rules either though.

I always write my own forum rules whenever I open a new forum. I always have the main forum rules and then if needed, rules for each forum especially forums that may be to do with debates and such. I could never take any rules and copy and paste them as I do not feel like they will be what I want and editing them would just be a pain so it is easier for me to write out my own.

Back