What's new

Does age matter in a relationship?

Ringo

Senior Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I think it's just an ethical problem unless it involves a minor and an adult. As long as you're happy, though, what does it matter? One thing that would freak me out if I were in the situation, though, would be death if the ages had quite a bit of space between them.

Well depends. Obviously an 18 y/o with a 12 y/o is wrong, but it's not the age difference that's wrong, it's just the fact she's too young to be with him. Idk if I'm explaining myself very well but yeah. I also don't think a 14 y/o with an 18 year old is that bad because if he waits for her then yeah, s'all good? If a girl/boy is mature enough to be in a relationship when they're not at consenting age, and especially because in this day and time people lose their V at ages of 14/15/16, it's ok.

(Also in regards to anyone over the age of 18 going out with someone with a huge age gap, then it's completely fine. Y'all allowed to make your own choices in life and you can't help who you fall in love with).

Personally I've always lived by a two year either-way rule. The differences between ages isn't to do with the number, but more to do with maturity, knowledge, development and experience. If I were to date a 20 year old at the age of 15, I wouldn't have nearly the same amount of experience as she would, just as me dating a 15 year old now would be difficult due to the differences in how we are.

That said, massive age differences are just stupid, like a young girl dating a 50 year old.

You have some good points. I have tk agree with those first points. Waiting would be best in those situations, definitely.

Personally I've always lived by a two year either-way rule. The differences between ages isn't to do with the number, but more to do with maturity, knowledge, development and experience. If I were to date a 20 year old at the age of 15, I wouldn't have nearly the same amount of experience as she would, just as me dating a 15 year old now would be difficult due to the differences in how we are.

That said, massive age differences are just stupid, like a young girl dating a 50 year old.

Ah yeah I can see that! Hugh Hefner is a good example.... grooooss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well my best friend is 19 and going out with a 16 (almost 17) year old and no one sees any issues with it as we don't even see her as younger really. There's a limit with young people though imo as if he was dating say, a 14 year old, there is a big difference between the maturity level of a 14 year old and a 19 year old. However, once it starts to reach the 20s and so on age difference doesn't really matter.

As long as you are talking about a genuine relationship, then of course age matters, especially when both persons are still teens. At older age limits, the age gap could get more flexible, but I believe that teens will always be insufficiently mature to handle a big age gap. With that being said, one needs to consider other factors such as that the maturity of boys usually takes longer to develop during their teen age than girls, so also a 14/male - 16/female relationship is most likely a fail as well, because usually a 16 year old girl is going to be far more mature than a 14 year old boy, while chances are that the opposite works quite well (The ages are only a random example, because actually I don't even encourage relationships at such young ages in the first place). So yeah, I believe that age matters very much, esp in early ages.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all very dependent.
I was 15 when I started dating Kirk when he was 18 and we're now 17 and 20. It's become less controversial the older we've gotten.
I think it matters in mid/early teens as you're developing a lot but as far as I'm concerned as soon as you're in your 20's you entitled to be with whoever you want if you're in love I mean who should stop you?
Needless to say I do find very young people dating very old people quite odd.

It does because if one is much older than the other, eventually their interests will not be the same. One will want to marry and settle and have a family while the other is still at school or wtv....

It depends on the ages, but it has an obvious effect on the couple. One thing you must realize is how much in common a 14 year old male and an 18 year old female would have in common.

As long as the relationship is within legal bounds, I believe it's fine. But for me, personally I'd say 5 years younger or older would be my maximum with age. As said numerously, it also depends on maturity and the actual relationship. There are a few factors that would tie into it that may sway my opinion.

it matter to a certain extent. as people get older, the difference seems like a lot less. but it is pretty weird imo if you're dating someone that could be old enough to be your dad or something like that.

As a general rule, the youngest you oughta date is half your age + 7. ;)

Back