What's new

does anyone have a will?

kellyro

New Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
hi everyone! my hubs and i have been talking about making a will so our kids will be taken care of. we dont have much money or anything but we want to make sure its all in writing and whoever we decide to give them to if something happens to us will have things in order.

but... everyone in my circle that i have surveyed has said they want one, but havent gotten around to it yet. so i am casting a wider net - surely some of you out there must be ahead of the game.

how did you prepare it? was it expensive? did you find a lawyer in the phone book?

thanks for any help!

happy paczki day!!

Yes we have a will. We went to our familys attorney. We don't have an kids but still want things to be in writting so that there are no big fights. My family would not care if they got anything, but DH family that is another story.....We had a will when we were just living togther DH's fear that if anything happened to him his mom would fight me for everything including anything that belonged to me. She did that when DH oldest sister died. DH was left the albumns of Alice Copper. Linda (his siters) had said that many times tha she wanted DH to have her signed albums from AC. She was his personal massouce when he came to Madison... (DH always says not everyone can say that there sister F**ked AC) anyway his mom threw the albums out because she felt that the were from the devil.... DH was only 11 at the time and it still bothers him.
A will for you is VERY important... you would want to name who will raise you kids should something happen to you, and your DH. We are named for 7 of our nephews and nieces in the event that something should happen to BILS & SILS. Make sure you clear it with the peole first.
It may seem like alot of money ours costed 750.00 but well worth the peace of mind it brings.

DH and I actually have a two trusts that roll into each other upon the event of one our deaths.

They cover who raises the kids and who controls our money when we are gone for their benefit.

It's great piece of mind and it cost about $1200. I think that wills are cheaper.

We did a trust in order to keep the government out of our money and away from, probate. Some things will have to go through probate, but we avoid a great deal of taxes this way.

Taxes suck.............

One more thing- use an estate lawyer that a friend recommends.

Yes, we have a will. It is mandatory for DH when he deploys as part of the "family care plan". We change it every other year or so to make sure everything is up to date. This reminds me that we need to do our review soon. For us it is free b/c of the military. We don't have anything either...well, we do own our Jeep now *happy dance* but mostly the will is in place to make our wishes known about who will care for the kids if something should happen to us.

No, but I know we should. Money I don't care about and neither would either side of our families and between my mom, MIL, BIL & SIL and my sister they would be well cared for and loved.

We're going to a meeting at DS' school in 2 weeks to walk through the preliminary steps. The school (private) is encouraging parents to plan/make a will and they are holding the workshop. We'll be doing a questionnaire to take to our attorney so we've got some Q&A finished and some prep work done.

We shoud've done this 4 years ago when DS was born.

We should've done it sooner too, but I am just about to because DH & I are going on a trip together this sumer (first time without kids) and God forbid anything should happen to us, we want things to be in order. Will be consulting an estate attorney soon.

Yes. We gave copies of it to a trusted friend who will serve as administrator in case DH and I pass away at the same time. Hopefully, its not at a time when DS is still a minor. DH and I have also chosen our urn which are cheap cookie jars we'd like our ashes to be put in.

Yes, we have one, and procrastinated for a long like most do with this kind of thing. We just went to a lawyer and it cost a few hundred dollars. Our main reason for having one is so it was very clear who would have custody of our children, if something should happen to us.

I made one after being very ill.It's amazing how people's true colors come out when they think you're going to die. Great to have friends & family waiting at your deathbed.:sar:

I would advise everyone to have a will.

Yes, we have a will/trust/living will/power of attorneys.

I recommend having them in place especially if you have kids. Who will take care of the kids? Do you want relatives who might be feuding and/or a court deciding who takes care of your kids?

We might not be worth a ton now, but we are worth a lot more dead with probably 800k in life insurance between us. That's primarily why we have a trust to control that money.

Yes, we have a will/trust/living will/power of attorneys.

I recommend having them in place especially if you have kids. Who will take care of the kids? Do you want relatives who might be feuding and/or a court deciding who takes care of your kids?

We might not be worth a ton now, but we are worth a lot more dead with probably 800k in life insurance between us. That's primarily why we have a trust to control that money.

Worth more dead than alive......ain't that a ****.

Not really .... nothing in writing.... as we don't have anything... but it is a known fact that if anything should happen to me and DH... Aki will get both my kids....

I have one, but it is drawn up in a foreign country. No idea how that works, but I guess I'll be dead so not really my problem. :giggles:

I have a trust, don't have a lot of $'s, but the trust covers
my wishes, including who will make medical decisions in the
event I cannot make them for myself. I asked my kids/family
if there was any of my personal stuff they really wanted after
my demise so that I could include those items in my final wishes.
It freaked them out a little bit, but I told them death happens and
it is easier for me if I know stuff like this is taken care of.

We have a will. We asked around and got some recommendations from friends for a lawyer. He's in Waukegan; send me a pm if anyone wants his name. He did wills and healthcare powers of attorney for both of us. We got it after DD was born so that she would be taken care of if anything happened to us.

I haven't read any other posts on this, so if I am speaking redundantly, I apologize in advance.

Also, I'm sure before I even go any further that this will probably be kinda long, but please read all of it, and ask any questions that you may have.

This help may be free, but the information is invaluable (if I can say so myself).

hi everyone! my hubs and i have been talking about making a will so our kids will be taken care of. we dont have much money or anything but we want to make sure its all in writing and whoever we decide to give them to if something happens to us will have things in order.
Here are some things to keep in mind.

Firstly, whether you have a Will or not, your estate will still go to probate. A Will does not avoid probate. Probate can be expensive, and time-consuming, but that's not an absolute in every case, and a Will can definitely be helpful to avoid that situation.

If your estate is worth less than $50,000, someone in your family would create what is called a "Small Estate Affidavit". No need for probate for an estate of that size.

In any case, when it comes to your children, and any of your personal belongings, you're looking for someone you trust to handle your estate.

And actually, I'll talk about a Trust a little later, but for now, we'll stick with the Will.

Whether you think you're not worth much (or don't have much) right now can mean very little about the future, because you may have more value in the future (a house paid-off, life insurance policies, retirement accounts, vehicles, expensive jewelry etc.).

A Will doesn't own anything, so any property, whether personal or real (estate) cannot be owned by a Will, thus it cannot give anything away. You can say in your Will that you want so-and-so to get that special pendant necklace with the gemstones on it, but the Will doesn't own it, so that item would merely become part of the estate, and the probate trustee decides what will happen to it. When there's a Will, the trustee would follow the Will, but when there's no Will, the trustee decides its fate after the probate process. This same principal applies to all other personal property and real estate.

In a Will, there are some basic elements (Articles).

One Article outlines your family situation, such as married (and to whom), or divorced, or widowed/widower (etc.), then the number and the names of your children. So, it'd be something like, "I am married to (this dude's name) and I have two children, namely (little dude's name) and (little girl's name)."

Typically, a second Article should revoke any previous Will and Codicils ever made, even if you've never made one before, just in case someone would contend you created a different one at some other point (this would be a fake).

Another Article will be your general bequests, where you outline who gets what (like that pendant I mentioned above). As long as these things are outlined, then the probate trustee will follow your wishes. For anything that's not outlined, they will decide based on the results of their process.

A similar, yet more broad Article for this same type of thing is called residuary bequests, in which case the entirety of your estate either goes to one person (or people), or you have everything go into a Trust you've created. For a Will that says everything in your estate goes into a Trust is known as a Pour-over Will.

After that, another Article will be the one where you name your Executor(s)/Executrix(es), and outline their powers, and whether or not they should be bonded and other things.

Next, for people with children, they'd have an Article that names the guardian(s) of their estate, and also the guardians of any minors (children).

That's pretty much the basics of a Will (or Pour-over Will as the case may be).

There should only be one signed Will, and any others would be unsigned copies. You should have the original and solely signed Will stored in a safe place.

but... everyone in my circle that i have surveyed has said they want one, but havent gotten around to it yet. so i am casting a wider net - surely some of you out there must be ahead of the game.
I've had a Will since I was 19 (I'm 39 now), and have updated it accordingly since that age. I also have a Healthcare Power of Attorney (created when I was 19), and also a Trust (created when I was 27). My Wife and I also have a Trust that owns our house (some people might call that a Land Trust). My wife also has her own Will and her own personal Trust.

You may have also heard of a Living Will and I already mentioned my Healthcare Power of Attorney. These two documents are very similar.

I will state this in a very basic sense, as to avoid another 1,000 words about this specific subtopic-

A Living Will is a document that says what you want done to you in situations where you are incapacitated, and cannot speak for yourself (life sustenance, treatments, etc.). In this case, the document speaks for you.

A Healthcare Power of Attorney is a document that says who you have appointed to decide what you want done to you in situations where you are incapacitated, and cannot speak for yourself (life sustenance, treatments, etc.). in this case, a person speaks for you, and follows the wishes you've detailed to them about your decisions.

It is possible, though unnecessary, to have a Living Will and a Healthcare Power of Attorney.

In my opinion, and the opinion of the attorneys, a Healthcare Power of Attorney is the best choice. You just have to make sure you are very detailed about your wishes in those life and death situations to the person or persons named as your agent(s).

In short, and in my opinion, you should have a Will, a Trust, and a Healthcare Power of Attorney. Do you own a home, have life insurance policies, retirement account(s), moderately valuable personal belonging, on and on and on? Might you ever have those things?

how did you prepare it? was it expensive? did you find a lawyer in the phone book?
For one, with all due respect to anybody that has gone this route, I do not suggest doing it yourself with online software, or software you buy.

As for expense, that all depends on the lawyer, and the complexity of your Will. At this office, the general cost for a simple Will is $150. You may be able to get it done for less, but that doesn't mean it will be done well. I've seen $100 Wills and $75 Wills, and those are usually the ones cause problems for the people who are still here after your death. In other words, they're just not good.

I'm sure that people here who have a Will can offer their attorney(s) as options for you, and that's fine. That is a much better option that just going through the phonebook. Obviously, I can also suggest the office here too. What you want to find is an attorney that will ask you all the necessary questions to be able to help you determine the best Will for you both. If you have to pay a consultation fee just to see an attorney to discuss making a Will, find somebody else. The only time you should pay anything is for the Will, not the consultation leading to one.

I mentioned a Trust earlier, so I'll cover some of that too.

Sometimes, people will mention a Living Trust, which is nothing more than a Trust you've created while your alive. For instance, my wife and I have a Trust that creates yet another Trust upon our death, and that Trust is not a Living Trust (though it's not called a Dead Trust either). In other words, as long as you're alive, any Trust you create is a Living Trust.

A Trust can actually owns things. If you own a house, you can have the Trust named as the owner. If you have a retirement account, you can name the Trust as the beneficiary of the account. This goes for life insurance policies too. If you have a 1970 1-of-a-kind Plymouth Roadrunner valued at $60,000, you can have it titled to the Trust.

Having a Trust, and having the Trust own your stuff, will totally avoid probate. My house is owned by our family Trust. My car is owned by my personal Trust (though it doesn't need to be), and my life insurance policies and retirements account show my personal Trust as Beneficiary. While I'm alive, I am the Trustee.

With a Trust, there is no need to have a Will that's a mile long with all your wishes for who gets what. When you have a Trust, your Will would merely say something like "All the rest residue and remainder of my property and estate, real, personal or mixed, of whatsoever kind or nature, or wheresoever situated, which I may own or die seized of I give to the acting Trustee under a Declaration of Trust Agreement dated the 16th day of February, 2010 and known as the (Your Names Here) Declaration of Trust, dated February 16, 2010."

From that statement, everything of any kind that you own goes into the Trust. A Will that does that is called a Pour-over Will, because everything pours over into your Trust.

Ultimately, my wife and I could get rid of our personal Trusts, and merge everything we own into the family Trust, but there are personal reasons for our current format. In most cases, a husband and wife would have only one Trust in which they both act as Co-Trustees.

The importance of the Trust is to name someone you trust as the Trustee. While you're alive, the Trustee(s) should be you. In my case, after my death, my wife and my brother-in-law are the Successor Co-Trustees of my personal Trust. If my wife and I die at the same time (e.g. car accident), my brother-in-law is the sole Successor Trustee of that Trust.

In most cases, the person named as the Trustee is the same person named as your agent in a Healthcare Power of Attorney. Again, the Trustee should be someone you trust with all your stuff, and in the case of a Healthcare Power of Attorney, also your life.

There is more to know, but then I'd need to ask all kinds of questions. I'll stop here.

So, feel free to ask me anything you like.

So, feel free to ask me anything you like.

When you die - what laws are in effect with respect to your possessions? The place where you die? The place where you live (where your possessions are located)? The place where your will was written?

We don't mainly because we don't know who we would want to have custody over my kids. I would say my sister but bil can be a s.o.b a lot of the times, my brother is not married and I definitely know he could not handle the responsibility, sil1 is not married and don't think she could handle 2 boys on her own and sil2 we strongly disagree with her parenting style. Also wouldn't want grandparents because of age and health issues. So, we just don't know what to do.

Anyone else have issues with the custodia part?

We don't mainly because we don't know who we would want to have custody over my kids. I would say my sister but bil can be a s.o.b a lot of the times, my brother is not married and I definitely know he could not handle the responsibility, sil1 is not married and don't think she could handle 2 boys on her own and sil2 we strongly disagree with her parenting style. Also wouldn't want grandparents because of age and health issues. So, we just don't know what to do.

Anyone else have issues with the custodia part?

We did, and narrowed it down to DH cousins. They have raised 3 children, solid marriage, kids are smart, polite, etc. Dh has no siblings, I have 3, but not leaving my children with any of them(Similar situation as you). Also, not the grandparents due to age/health issues.

BTW, great thread/discussion.

Back