What's new

Does school have to offer summer school for special needs

quick question - when you mention he sometimes has trouble staying on task - does he get any scheduled sensory breaks? For my son, that makes all the difference in his day. Last year they would say they gave it when he needed it - we don't think they ever did. This year he gets them daily and he is thriving. Just something I thought of when I read your last post.

At times I have felt like I wish I would have done more but to be honest I did the best I can and it is a learning experience. You are doing the best you can and by seeking out answers from others your knowledge about IEP's and what your son's rights are will continue to grow.

Yes, he has to otherwise there is no way he can function.

How old were they?
my oldest hs been receiving extended serves since 1st grade. He's 16 now he has autism spectrum disorder. My youngest was born developmentaly delay and started reserves when he was 15months he is now 11 they both are both in special need classes and they good very good grades. I would speak to your daughters coordinator

I don't have it handy right now, I don't believe there are to many. What I do remember it talks about how many mins each day he has. He has had some behavioral issues and problems with staying on task in the past and that is mostly what was in the IEP. I'm really kicking myself for not trying harder to get him more help.

Can I request that reading and laugage skills are done in the am or do I have to go by what they so for all the kids. DS loves math and he does it the am, so when it comes to doing reading after lunch he is tired and does not want to as much as I think he would if it was in the am

sometimes it's the chicken and the egg. They like to say the child isn't/can't learn because of behavior or inability to stay on task. The data tells a different story. Children who lack the academic skills for the task at hand are more prone to distraction and misbehavior (it's a diversion).

The program has to fit him, he doesn't have to fit the program. If he needs it in the morning in order for him to learn then they have to accommodate that.

Take a look at his reading goals, proper IEP goals are "SMART" goals:

SMART IEP goals are:

• Specific
  • Measurable
  • Use Action words
  • Realistic
  • Time-limited
For example, if the IEP just says he'll work on reading for X minutes per week, that's insufficient. There should be a baseline, i.e. Johnny currently reads 20 wpm with 4 errors. Goal: Johnny will utilize the ABC Interactive Reading program to increase his reading speed to 29 wpm with 4 or less errors by the end of the 4th quarter. Benchmark/Data collection: Johnny will be tested using the XYZ Reading Assessment at the start, middle and end of the 4th quarter.

Without specific goals, the method to be employed and the measurement tool, a goal is pretty worthless. I'd start by looking at the goals and determining if you think they meet the SMART goal criteria. Bad goals = bad IEP

Back