DS2 and school

fords8

Hanging Out!
Peak Director
Peak Mediator
Mountaineers
PF Member
Reaction score
So DS2 turns 5 in September... 14 days after the Kindergarten deadline... is there anything I can do? Any suggestions??

I want him to start this fall ... not when he is almost 6 years old! Anyone know anything about this??

TIA!!

I have heard that tehy are pretty strick on those deadlines--DS has 3 friends whose bdays fall in the first week of september!

I think some private schools will let you test at your own cost--to get in

My friend had the same problem. Both of her kids were born in the first week of September. The school told her she would have to pay to get them tested and then the school would evaluate the tests and then at their discretion they would decide if they would accept them early or not. I'm sure all districts are different. (This was in Batavia and at least 3 years ago.)

Another alternative is to send him to a private kindergarten and then public school for first grade on. I *think* (again, secondhand information) that once they have completed kindergarten it is harder for them to fight the cutoff. I would call the school and ask about both of those options.

And yes, my friend heard that they were really strict on the deadline and did NOT like to let kids in early so she opted not to pay and just sent them the following year. Her mom was a kdg. teacher in the same district so I think that is pretty reliable info.

Ughhhhh... I am going to call again and see what they say...

My understanding in Plainfield is that you can probably get her into a private school - like a couple of the preschools have Kindergarten and then they can get into 1st grade easier. But the question is did he go to Preschool because I heard if not it was WAY harder to get them into a kindergarden that way?

Were in the same situation with our girls. DD1 was born 10/4. We held her back from preschool since she would have to go for two years so she will start this fall. DD2 was born 9/15 and will probably go to preschool for 2 years since she seems bored away from her sis. We have the boundaries as a problem. We are within walking distance to the schools that are across the boundaries. We have another year since we can put her in the park district preschool. We called to see if there was anything we could do and were told nothing. Good luck.

Yeah Heather, I think he's going to have to wait.. I know there are some P's in my hood who have kids born 9/2, 9/5 etc etc and they have to wait.... poop

I just called the district in regards to testing for early admittence... they do offer it... so we will see what happens.

He is 4 as we speak:
He can write and spell his first and last name
knows his phone number
can count to 100
knows all his shapes and colors
recognizes letters
knows his animals
can play video games (no really it's pretty amazing, we are not talking games he SHOULD be playing but....)

he is a pretty smart little guy..... we will see what happens.

My DD will be 5 in August also and the school (Indiana) told me no she can't go cause the deadline is August 1st.....but I know others who have tested in.

Good luck!!!!

My DD will be 5 in August also and the school (Indiana) told me no she can't go cause the deadline is August 1st.....but I know others who have tested in.

Good luck!!!!

Put her in school in IL where the cutoff is Sept and then transfer her. I know I can be evil :snicker: It is for good...this time.

The deadline in Illinois is August 31... DS 2 misses by 14 days...

****.. that's great...
Do you have to get him tested?

We will see... I left a message. I hope he can be tested in, he really is pretty smart... OK I am biased but still :lol:

DS1 had a birthday 18 days after cutoff and there was no way to get in early. He's done OK, but we've moved to IL where the cutoff is different and he could actually be in the previous grade. That's OK, he's doing fantastic where he is.

DS2 turns 5 on Sept. 4. District 63 does not seem to allow early testing.

My mother is a kindergarten teacher for 20+ years and she said that it is better for boys to be the oldest in their class than the youngest. Jus' sayin.

DS1 had a birthday 18 days after cutoff and there was no way to get in early. He's done OK, but we've moved to IL where the cutoff is different and he could actually be in the previous grade. That's OK, he's doing fantastic where he is.

DS2 turns 5 on Sept. 4. District 63 does not seem to allow early testing.

My mother is a kindergarten teacher for 20+ years and she said that it is better for boys to be the oldest in their class than the youngest. Jus' sayin.

REALLY?? It's prolly a maturity level thing huh?? He is pretty goofy... but aren't all 4 year olds? :lol:

Back