What's new

Easy, pre-cookable, quick breakfast ideas needed

This was our breakfast this week
granolabar2.jpg

Chewy Granola Energy Bars
http://joandsue.blogspot.ca/2012/07/chewy-granola-energy-bars.html

of course (as usual) I made them based on what I had on hand but Lex loved them.

They are definitely going to become part of the breakfast rotation.

But aren't your DD's older? Watch the deli at Marianos they sell the "ends" (their idea of an "end" is generous) cheap.

Yes, they are older. I have never been to Mariano's. Word on the street is that they are not doing too well.

I am an oatmeal lover. Here is a recipe for baked oatmeal. Some recipes make the bars hard and crunchy (and dry), but this one is soft and moist. You can reheat it, break it up, and pour milk on it in a bowl (I just had some this morning like this), or you can eat it like a big cookie/bar with a glass of milk. My dh put honey on his last week, but I am for less sugary stuff. In fact, the original recipe called for twice the brown sugar I have listed, but, truly, it is sweet and tasty just as I am listing it.
3 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 and 1/4 cup milk
5 eggs
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup walnuts
1 cup raisins

I would imagine you can play with the ingredients like the nuts and raisins a bit if you prefer some other type of nut or dried fruit. I love it as it is.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and butter. Stir into the oat mixture until blended. Spoon int a greased 9 inch square pan (I used the big one though, what are they, like 13 in long or something??). Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until set. Serve warm with milk.

Here is a little twist on the pancake idea - whole wheat peanut butter pancakes

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
5 TBSP butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 cups milk
2 eggs

I made this once with regular flour, not whole wheat. I don't really eat pancakes, but the kids ate it. I don't remember the peanut butter really standing out, though.

Mix flour, baking powder, and salt. In a small sauce pan, melt butter and peanut butter together, stirring so it won't scorch. Pour melted butter and peanut butter along with the milk and egs into the flour mixture, whisk until well mixed. Cook the pancakes on a buttered griddle or skillet, flipping halfway through cooking. Serve with real maple syrup or your favorite pancake topping. Makes about 20 three inch pancakes.

Pretty sure the recipe came from moneysavingmom. She has a couponing/ money saving blog but she puts quite a few recipes on there. She home schools and likes to do freezer cooking. Side note - I have never made a 3 inch pancake. Those would be soooo tiny! She also called for sea salt and natural peanut butter like the homemade stuff she made. I use what I've got.

Yes, they are older. I have never been to Mariano's. Word on the street is that they are not doing too well.

Really? The one in Palatine and the one in Hoffman are packed every time I'm there (Palatine) and the one in Hoffman still has cops directing traffic most nights with cars streaming out of there at rush hour.

I make a 13x9 breakfast casserole. It reheats really well. Let me know if you would like the recipe.

We too love precooked bacon, but haven't seen the OM coupons for it in a while.

I also try to cook bacon on a sheet in the oven for future meals, but my peeps nibble on it as soon as it's done so it never makes it back into the fridge. :surrender:

I make banana bread about once a month (several mini loaves) which is always a hit.

I have nothing to add. Just wanted to try to get my name to show up all the way down the recent posts while everyone else sleeps.

I have nothing to add. Just wanted to try to get my name to show up all the way down the recent posts while everyone else sleeps.

Post hoore. :rolleyes:

I made this last week. It was really good. I also threw in a handful of oatmeal into it to make it a bit more filling.

Cinnamon Banana Bread

Everyone’s favorite—banana bread is made even more delicious with the taste of cinnamon.
15 min.prep time 1:40total time
16 servings
5 Stars 2 Ratings

Ingredients
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup Land O Lakes Cinnamon Sugar Butter Spread
2 Land O Lakes All-Natural Eggs
2 ripe (1 cup) bananas, mashed
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions: Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 8x4-inch loaf pan; set aside.

Combine sugar, 1/2 cup Cinnamon Sugar Butter Spread and eggs in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Reduce speed to low; add bananas and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Stir in all remaining ingredients until just mixed.

Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire cooling rack. Cool completely.

Serve with additional Cinnamon Sugar Butter Spread, if desired.

Back