What's new

Eli and the camaro

deloxon

Active Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Now, I understand that Eli turned down the Camaro because of some affiliation with Toyota. And I know that for Chevy, it's not about the player getting the car as it is the enormous exposure/advertising opportunity.

But the next car company to give away a car to a SB MVP should change up the approach. Or at least someone should make it the norm that the winner do something of this sort:

My idea: would be an online raffle in the week or two leading up to the Superbowl, and the MVP can pre-designate a non-profit/charity of their choice where the proceeds go should they win, which would be announced during the presentation and a lucky fan who participated in the nationwide raffle will win the car from the field of the Superbowl.

It's been said before, but it's often a QB, or some 'star' player winning the MVP. A guy like Eli, between his contract and endorsement money makes almost 27 million/year. I understand that it was a 'special, centennial edition'...but at the end of the day, the base MSRP for a 2012 Camaro Convertible is 31k. Even if 50% of his annual earnings get taxed, he's still raking in over 13 mill a year, and could afford to buy over 400 Camaro Convertibles with 1 year's income.

The inverse, with that idea I presented, or something similar....you could probably raise over a million bucks for a charity, AND, a fan...who chances are is someone who makes 5 digits/year instead of 8....can win that sweet vehicle they would have to take a payment on if bought on their own.

That sounds like a good idea and similar to what I thought he should have done with it. Once he won the car he could have accepted it, but then signed the dash or something like that, and sold it at auction for a charity. If Toyota had issue with that well then, Eli should just go endorse Chevy.

Yeah, I agree with the OP. I don't really see a point in giving a car to a player who can afford much nicer cars. And I'm sure the Lombardi trophy means more to him to represent the Super Bowl.

I always get annoyed when I see this big time athletes win a car, there's usually little to no reaction at all. Same thing with the NHL all star game draft, last guy picked gets a car and they're just like whatever. I agree, give some fan a car or give something to charity.

Or even just a raffle of all the game's attendees and they select a seat number. Whoever's seat they pick gets the car. (the Superbowl game)

Or even just a raffle of all the game's attendees and they select a seat number. Whoever's seat they pick gets the car. (the Superbowl game)

That would be cool, I can see it now, get someone to do the price is right "Joe Smith, COME ON DOWN!". The guy has to walk all the way to the center of the field from his seat.

That actually sounds like a good idea too. With all the money these people are spending from the cheapest seat (still in the thousands) to the most expensive seats, they deserve to have a chance at some compensation. But then also give money to charity after the Super Bowl for the winning team.

Yeah, raffling off the car is a great idea. When the players are making that much money it is the right thing to do. It would help many needy people and it would make everybody happy.

I think this is a great idea! I like the way you think! It would be a perfect way to raise money for charity!

Back