What's new

Ethical Decision for an Ethics Class Assignment!

datrue_canadian

Mastermind Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
So, a couple weeks ago, I wrote an ethics paper on "Virtue Ethics" system of decision making.

Basically, what this system tell us is to think of the pros and cons of each possible outcome (1 being I dont tell the teacher of the suspected error, or 2 I tell the teacher i suspect an error is made), then choose the outcome which will negatively effect the least amount of people in the long run.

An example of this would be back in the time of World War II, Sir Winston Churchill who was the Prime Minister of the United Kindom was faced with a huge ethical decision.

His team managed to "crack" the Nazi code that was being broadcast to Nazi forces across Europe. By cracking this code, Churchill was able to decipher their message, and foil their plans. Now, should Churchill make this public that he knew about their code? What would be the longterm effects?

While deciphering their first code, Churchill learned of a planned Nazi attack on a small UK town. It had a few thousand inhabitants and was peaceful. The Nazi's were planning on invading this town as an entranceway into the UK. Churchill had to options; the first would be to use this new found knowledge and prevent the attack, which the Nazi party would then know their code had been cracked, OR Churchill could allow the invasion to happen as if he didnt know anything, and continue deciphering messages that could prove to aid in ending the war.

History tells us that Churchill let the attack happen. Many lives were lost and it was a large hit for the UK. However, the Allies still had the upperhand advantage in being able to decipher the NAzi's messages without their knowledge. Many historians claim that this decision saved hundreds of thousands of lives in the long run, and ended the war sooner than anticipated, all because the Allies were able to stop major Axis attacks before they happend. Yes, thousands of lives were lost in order to maintain secrecy about the code deciphering, but many more lives were spared because of this decision. I am sure many would agree, Churchill made the right and "Ethical" decision.

NOW, onto my issue...

I submitted my research paper and Churchill was a key player in my writing. WHen i went to check my grade on my paper today, i was shocked to see my mark of 27/15 for it. Right away I thought this must be a mistake and I began using "Ethical Thinking" skills learned from this course.

I immediately sent an e-mail to my professor explaining why I thought this was an error, and even used my knowledge from the research paper to back up why I made this decision. It was just another opportunity to prove I did the work, and I know the material. I havent heard a response from the professor yet, but I am eagerly awaiting...

My two options were; email the professor about the error and risk losing some of the marks, or keep it a secret and hope nobody finds out and possibly face harsher consequences down the road.

What would you have picked? I sent the email. Would you have done the same?:angel:

yeah, i probably would have. what does 27/15 mean?

72? the assignment is definately out of 15...

If i got a 72/15, then that would be even higher!

maybe he did it on purpose.. the people who tell him get to keep the 180%.... those who hope to keep the 180% grade? well, they flunk the assignment... (after a reasonable amount of time for them to notice it of course)

I've actually just wrote an essay on Utilitarianism which appears to be quite a similar theory. I didn't get 180% though :(

well, there are some teachers who will give you a test, and on the tests instructions it says do not complete this test, put your name on top and turn in...
then it continues with regular test questions... its to see if you follow instructions or not... the more you do the lower your score ;) lol

Your professor is a very clever man, he is giving you the ethical decision to choose from. I too would have told him, as they say, the good of the many outweighs the good of the one. I am sure you will be commended on your choice.

I've actually just wrote an essay on Utilitarianism which appears to be quite a similar theory. I didn't get 180% though :(

That is one of the Systems of Ethics we learned about. :)

Your professor is a very clever man, he is giving you the ethical decision to choose from. I too would have told him, as they say, the good of the many outweighs the good of the one. I am sure you will be commended on your choice.

I didnt get commended. They just changed how the mark was entered. It should have been out of 15, but she entered it in as it was out of 30. She just forgot to divide by 2.

lame!

That's a bit sad to find it's not an ethical decision after all! Now though, you've given me something I can tease my future students with, seeing how their 'ethics' work in terms of grades. Thanks for the idea supply!

That's a bit sad to find it's not an ethical decision after all! Now though, you've given me something I can tease my future students with, seeing how their 'ethics' work in terms of grades. Thanks for the idea supply!

anytime!

But wait! I still don't know what 27/15 means. I know that 15/27 (meaning 15 questions correct out of a total of 27 questions) would get you about a 45, which of course is a failing grade.

That's confusing! Just do it like that used to in high school. If there were ten questions and you got 8 right, you would receive an 80, which is a passing grade. Anything about 70 is usually passing, but a D.

i know. the college likes to be difficult.

what can i say? i just gotta go with the flow.

PS: I got an A+ in the course! Hurrah!

Back