What's new

Ever been to/lived in Shreveport, Louisiana?

Smooth

Senior Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about the cost of living in Louisiana, particularly Shreveport. If you live there, or have ever lived there, please tell me about it.
The reason I am wondering is my ol' man is going to be spending some time there for work. He is a carpenter, working heavy construction, and his company has a job to build a steel mill beginning in September. The job could last as long as 2 years, and my man, Pat, will be staying near the job site until his work is done. He'll have an extended stay hotel room and we need to start planning for his budget. He's doing some research and I thought it would be a good idea to see if anyone here has ever lived there and to get some info from them.
Anything you can tell me would be helpful, thank you!

My stepdad and brother frequently used to work in Shreveport as carpenters, so it's funny that you mentioned this! :) I used to live an hour and a half away from there in south Arkansas and now, I live in Baton Rouge. Not too far away! As far as what the town's like? I know that it's decent sized - as in not small town, but it's not huge, either. I've been there quite a few times.

The cost of living in Shreveport is like it was in South Ark. It's decent. It's not the lowest as far as rent and utilities go, but it's definitely affordable. You tend to make more in Louisiana.

Cost of living is high in BR, but we also make a lot more than we did in Arkansas.

Thanks for your input, Danielle! :applouse:
When Pat goes out of town to work, he finds 4 things as soon as he gets to where he's staying: An efficiency motel/hotel, the nearest Walmart, the nearest Country Buffet, and the nearest blue-collar sports bar. I doubt you can tell me for certain if any of these places are close by, but can you take a guess?
This will be the first time he's gone out of town for this long, so we're trying to get as much research done as we can, as quickly as we can!

I was going to suggest Days Inn as that is where my dad and brother always stayed, but it appears that the hotel has gone massively downhill since then. Shame since it used to be nice and decently priced!

Out of the cheaper ones that I saw, Super 8 seemed to be better than a lot of the others. I'm not sure what weekly rates were.

As far as Walmart, there are 4 in Shreveport, evenly spaced out, so he should be close to a Walmart regardless.

There's a Country Buffet in Bossier City, which is on the other side of Shreveport. However, Shreveport has Golden Corral that's pretty good and also Ryan's. :/

Pat is used to finding a place to stay on his own. His per diem is very generous and he spends carefully, especially on his room. I don't think Super 8 has efficiency rooms, do they? All he needs is a bed, a bathroom and a small kitchen set-up. At "out of town" jobs, he works and sleeps and not much else!
I actually meant to say Golden Corral, not Country Buffet; good to know they are there!

The Super 8 in Shreveport does have fully equipped kitchenettes! Worth looking into.

See? Shows what I know! :stupid:
I will let him know today when he comes home that I've spoken to a Shreveport native and have him check into the Super 8 that's near his job site. Thanks a bunch for the info, Danielle!

Only on True Blood... I thought that name didn't actual exist.... I wonder if Bon Temps exists as well o_O

Back