What's new

Feedback Eliminator?

Paul,

I have never been in broadcast but have dealt with live sound for many years.

For Karaoke I use basic Alesis and DBX units, For live sound I am still using Presonus 88's, in the studio I am using TL Audio and Art tube compressors.

Settings really depend on what I am doing, for Karaoke vocals I generally run 0 to +2 DB Threshold, 4:1 Ratio on a soft knee setting with a fairly slow attack (about 50MS) and a quick release 30 - 35MS. Very little if any pumping can be heard but it still clamps the screamers enough to level them out with the mix.

Thunder - Let's say you're sailing along with your good singers - how
much limiting is your compressor doing at that point ? Then comes
Mr. or Ms. bigshot screaming into the mic. - how much limiting is the
compressor doing at that point ?

And the other thing - in addition to the limiting, how much clipping is
your processor doing........ IMHO clipping is the worst enemy of good
audio...

Thanks for your input on this - I'm afraid I misdirected from the original
question about using feedback eliminators - which as you can see
are a personal choice - I choose to use!

With the settings as I described a singer who knows how to use a mic will hit maybe 1 to 3 DBs of compression on the loudest parts but most of the time will never push more than one, a screamer can push 6 to 8 DBs of compression. But I set a limiter also which will flat clamp the mic at 12 DBs, this if the the chokers who also scream into the mic. Yes the sound can get pretty crappy at that point but with a choker and a screamer who really cares how much color the compression adds to what are already horrible vocals!

Clipping isn't a problem if you take care in setting the gain chain to begin with.

Back