What's new

First college visit today, any tips on this process?

B

boyzrus

We're going to North Central College in Naperville today for our first college visit with DS #1. He has somewhat an idea of what he wants to study (engineering) but isn't really sure or sure about the whole college scene.

So we thought this would be a good first visit. It's close (about 30 minutes) and they actually have a coordinated program with U or I's engineering school.

Anyone who has gone through this have any tips for me? Anything from things to write down afterwards to keeping materials organized, etc. would be appreciated.

He's currently in a ACT review class and will take it in April. He's a junior.

Thanks ladies!

I would always write down first impressions. Don't know how many you all would see but you might forget certain parts.

When I was looking I would have a folder for every college I looked/applied at so that I could always find the info. It's amazing how many different envelopes of all different sizes they send.

That is where I went to school and loved it!!! I majored in Criminal Justice with a minor in Math and Chemistry. It is great for the sciences. We are actually called "Harvard Jr." because our science program is so good. All the teachers have their PhD's so they really know what they are talking about and are always there before/after class to help if you do not understand something.

I liked it there because it is not a typical college town it is a college placed in the center of a nice area. There are many places to get jobs and things to do. There are so many groups and organizations to take part in too so he can definitely keep busy if wanted. Also the campus is smaller than most so it is easy to walk to class and even if it is cold out it only takes a couple minutes to do so.

OK so that is my love of NCC coming through. :lol: But some good things to do while there is really go through the science center and ask about everything they have to offer when it comes to helping your son with his engineering studies. Also, when going through the dorms make note of which one he likes the best since he will be able to request which one he would rather be in. Also, if he is an athlete ask to meet the coach so you can ask him about the program.

If you have any questions about campus life or anything I would be happy to help.

Since you Majored in Criminal Justice what field are you working in ,if you don't mind me asking? My DD is majoring in the same ,well she is double majoring in Criminal Justice and psychology ..Thanks

That is where I went to school and loved it!!! I majored in Criminal Justice with a minor in Math and Chemistry. It is great for the sciences. We are actually called "Harvard Jr." because our science program is so good. All the teachers have their PhD's so they really know what they are talking about and are always there before/after class to help if you do not understand something.

I liked it there because it is not a typical college town it is a college placed in the center of a nice area. There are many places to get jobs and things to do. There are so many groups and organizations to take part in too so he can definitely keep busy if wanted. Also the campus is smaller than most so it is easy to walk to class and even if it is cold out it only takes a couple minutes to do so.

OK so that is my love of NCC coming through. :lol: But some good things to do while there is really go through the science center and ask about everything they have to offer when it comes to helping your son with his engineering studies. Also, when going through the dorms make note of which one he likes the best since he will be able to request which one he would rather be in. Also, if he is an athlete ask to meet the coach so you can ask him about the program.

If you have any questions about campus life or anything I would be happy to help.

I know you are great at keeping files--so that is what I would do
I would keep a file and write down everything
Now, are you meeting with them to ask questions too?
Such as cost, scholarships, what is the average act score needed? What is their % on helping people find jobs in their fields? What should he have done to apply?
When we met with the counselors--I was surprised at how unprepared I was for questions.
Know in advance your GPA--and what you are expecting
Find out how many hours they expect him to take to be a full time student (every school varies on this)
I also have heard great things about NCC> I wanted K ristine to check them out--but she didn't want to--I thought that was silly
Be prepared--NCC is very expensive--and from what I have been told--the first year they offer little in scholarships--but the 2nd year they come back with lots of offers

Since you Majored in Criminal Justice what field are you working in ,if you don't mind me asking? My DD is majoring in the same ,well she is double majoring in Criminal Justice and psychology ..Thanks

I am a teacher...haha. I got my masters in Education. I applied for the FBI and got in but I would have been transferred to Utah for profiling, which I did not want to do because my family is all here. There are so many things you can do with it though from FBI to police officer to parol officer to prison guard.

My first year at NCC I got enough scholarships that I only paid $6000 for the first year. They are AMAZING with financial help and take everything into consideration. They even took the fact that my sister was in braces and my brother was in catholic school and gave me even more scholarships because of that. They let you write down everything you pay for before they give you an answer about how much they will help which was great for my family because my parents don't make a ton and there are 4 kids in my family.

You need to take only 9 hours (3 classes) to be a full time student because they are on trimesters, which helps for students who may struggle with classwork because they can focus more on their classes.

My first year at NCC I got enough scholarships that I only paid $6000 for the first year. They are AMAZING with financial help and take everything into consideration. They even took the fact that my sister was in braces and my brother was in catholic school and gave me even more scholarships because of that. They let you write down everything you pay for before they give you an answer about how much they will help which was great for my family because my parents don't make a ton and there are 4 kids in my family.

You need to take only 9 hours (3 classes) to be a full time student because they are on trimesters, which helps for students who may struggle with classwork because they can focus more on their classes.

Wow, my niece applied there--and she has always been a straight A student--they didn't offer her anything--she got a full scholarship to Truman in MO--so she went there--but she really wanted NCC--my neighbor is currently enrolled--she is the one that told me her daughter--also an A student--didn't get any financial aide (they have five kids--one is the same age is going to Purdue, then she has 3 that were sophomores in high school) they offered her nothing. The second year, they took her tuition down to 6,000--they told her it was to make sure that the first year they are serious about their studies.

I really want my dd to check it out--she will finish at COD this year--she could drive to NCC_-and if weather was bad she could stay at my friends house that lives in Naperville. Either that or I want her to try National Louis--she keeps shaking her head NO--saying maybe Northern--why Northern? She says because it is close and she could drive back and forth every day (Northern is 45 minutes away) Hmm--Lisle and Naperville sure sound closer to me!!

Hmmmm that is weird. I got a presidential scholarships for my grades and kept it all 4 years because I kept my GPA up. And I got a ton of scholarships because I volunteered and did a ton of community service. I also got scholarships because of my brother being in catholic school. I graduated in 2008 so things may have changed now.

I have to admit that I am biased but I LOVED that school so much haha. It was definitely the best 4 years of my life (I don't know gave that honor to HS). I looked at Northern too when I was looking and I did not like it. It was too dirty and rundown for me.

make sure that the size of school is what you want and that the living situation is what you expect from a college. also distance from home is a big deal...he is only a junior so thoughts and expectations may change in the next year. i thought i wanted to be close to home at a small school at first and ended up 4 hours from home at a 25K student school and wouldnt change it for anything!

Yea size is definitely a huge issue. I liked NCC because I was a name to my teachers not a number in a lecture. My science class were usually like 12 kids and it was great for me because we got to know one another and become friends. It was nice taking the same classes with them for a couple years because we were able to help one another out. Also, the teachers were more able to know our strengths and weaknesses to help us along too. Plus, it was nice to walk around campus and be able to say hi to almost everyone because you knew them.

When I was there I was in a cohort of sorts. I joined the science cohort where we all lived in the same dorm and had similar classes. If he is interested in that I would ask about it too, not sure if they do it anymore. If he doesn't want a small school than NCC is probably not the best choice

If he thinks he is pretty sure of engineering (they often change) you might be able to talk to an alum with that degree to get some perspective.

If I can chime in on the merits of a smaller school :)

My boys go to Loras College in DuBuque Iowa It's about the size of their High School-So nice that they know their instructors and their instructors know them--I totally discouraged my oldest from going to a large school ( which I had done) I think that for HIM --if he had the freedom to go or not to go to class ( because no one would notice that he was gone..) he would chose to stay in bed..

They really get to know the people in their classes , I think it is something like your freshman year you will have no more then 17 people in any of your classes...

Our hunt for schools had to do a lot with soccer, coaches, as well as duh..academics. My boys had a number of schools recruiting them we didnt search much with ds #1 but for ds #2 we spoke to the coaches numerous times, we looked online for comments concerns etc..then visited only a few. For us the cost was pretty much the same at all the schools as was most of the $$$$ offers and discounts for coming from a catholic high school to a catholic college--it was the feeling of the campus itself that had to sell my son(s) Whereas they are both VERY happy I cant believe they chose where they did --especially ds #2

LOL after re-reading a post I also want to add that DS#1 is not a lovey touchy feely "oh I love my family" type of kid--but let me tell you sometimes that 3.5-4 hour drive is a killer and a huge road block to coming home--He gets so discouraged sometimes because he cant make it home when he wants to

We're going to North Central College in Naperville today for our first college visit with DS #1. He has somewhat an idea of what he wants to study (engineering) but isn't really sure or sure about the whole college scene.

So we thought this would be a good first visit. It's close (about 30 minutes) and they actually have a coordinated program with U or I's engineering school.

Anyone who has gone through this have any tips for me? Anything from things to write down afterwards to keeping materials organized, etc. would be appreciated.

He's currently in a ACT review class and will take it in April. He's a junior.

Thanks ladies!

my son is a sophmore who wants to dual major in physics and engineering for his pre med. One thing we are doing is sending him to a summer program at the Milwaukee school of engineering. Its a week long and they stay on the campus. I figure it is a good way to give them a taste of the campus as well as allowing him to explore engineering (ask if the schools you are visiting have any similar programs). Remember to inquire about crime on the campus, extra curricular activities, do they teach the language he is interested in? I would also ask about their engineering programs since your son has an interest in it. HTH and Best of Luck to you!

My next door neighbor teaches at NCC and my bff went there. I have heard they have a huge endowment and lots of money to give away - like 90% of students get money. It's such a nice campus and town, good rep for a small school.

my son is a sophmore who wants to dual major in physics and engineering for his pre med. One thing we are doing is sending him to a summer program at the Milwaukee school of engineering. Its a week long and they stay on the campus. I figure it is a good way to give them a taste of the campus as well as allowing him to explore engineering (ask if the schools you are visiting have any similar programs). Remember to inquire about crime on the campus, extra curricular activities, do they teach the language he is interested in? I would also ask about their engineering programs since your son has an interest in it. HTH and Best of Luck to you!

Good luck at MSOE.

Does anyone know anything about Butler or Lake Forest college?

Lake Forest is very nice. i visited there when I was looking. It is really good for the sciences.

Back