What's new

First college visit today, any tips on this process?

Love that school! My ds is going to visit a school in west virgina this weekend, immvery nervous he might like it! Wish he would go closer....I already have one going to Arkansas state...can't imagine traveling for two in college sports

How was the visit?

I think he was a bit overwhelmed. They had presentations, the tour where you got to see the campus and a dorm room and we ate in the cafeteria. He just kind of took it all in and didn't say much.

Later he told me that the college only had 200 more students than Wheaton North. He said he liked the size, but didn't think going to a Naperville school would be enough of a new experience since he already knew Naperville.

Moving right along, we are headed to Purdue in March. A good contrast. Bradley is on our list as well. That's us, the parent's list. He needs to come up with his own. The guidance counselor is going to meet with him and talk about it.

We switched him to a private school in January and the guidance staff has been excellent. We did not have a good experience with the guidance staff at the public school. We had a counselor that kmjlovesjesus loves, but we didn't have a great experience with her.

My son just did his last college visit last weekend. Has it narrowed down to three schools. Also, an engineering student and going to play football. Very stressful. I asked him when he thinks he will know and I got no answer. Guess not in a hurry or can't make up his mind.

I do love my counselor--but I do agree with you--as far as colleges I can't say she really helped us in any way. I don't know if she thought we were going to do COD--which we did--but she didn't bend over backwards to see if we wanted to check out other schools or give us info etc.
She was great though with dealing with in school stuff--and with my oldest when I asked her about college she did say don't give up hope and explained how her kids were different etc--one needed the push and one didnt
So glad your son is doing better--and hopefully since your others are at North--and you still have the same counselor--you will be a veteran with the college searches and maybe can give her a few ideas!

I think COD is probably the best community college in the country. It's a good option because it's reasonable. You don't need to pay more than $1,000 for a gen ed class. COD is what like $100 a credit hour?

If counseling people I would recommend going to a school in Illinois because you'll have better help getting a job if the school is near to home. Plus commuting saves a ton of money.

The dangerous thing is that colleges churn out more students with degrees than there are openings in their prospective fields. The point is you don't want to go $20,000 to $80,000 in debt for a degree that may not help you secure a job.

I think the job market is turning into a "who you know" situation again. It used to be your credentials spoke for themselves, but with so much competition now, it seems like you need to know someone to get your foot in the door and get that job.

I think the job market is turning into a "who you know" situation again. It used to be your credentials spoke for themselves, but with so much competition now, it seems like you need to know someone to get your foot in the door and get that job.

Don't really agree with that in all circumstances. DH applied for jobs in a city where he had no connections and had several offers in less than a month without actually interviewing in person. If you have a skill that not a lot of people have that is in great demand you are golden. That is why people going into college shouldn't focus on degrees that everyone gets such as business, psychology, theology, elementary education.

You still need the credentials and "who ya know".

I have three in college and we did minimal college tours. First half of the kids never make it past the first year of college - too big, too small, too much partying, dont like being away from home, etc. More important is to figure out what is important to your child. Small school vs large school, being able to come home once a month at least the first year, knowing other kids at school.

Having the right major is somewhat important but since many kids to transfer sometimes a cheaper two year community school is also a good option. The first two years 75% of the course are the core cores with only 25% the introductory major courses. Also since many change their majors there may need to be some course that need to be repeated. Especially for those that think they want to be science majors. Anatomy and physiology and organic chemistry are the break courses which force many to rethink their major (two ex nursing majors in my family who switched after struggling with anatomy).

Personally I think all kids should live away at school since it really does help them to grow up and be more independent. I can definitely see the changes and maturity in my 21 year old triplets due to them being away at college (3 to 4 hours from home). If finance are an issue the junior college for the first two years is the way to go to cut costs and then save money for the more prestige university for years 3 and 4. At least in GA the other university are required to accept the core transfer courses especially if the child has earned the two year diploma.

That is why people going into college shouldn't focus on degrees that everyone gets such as business, psychology, theology, elementary education.

I heard a stat that every year the US graduates the same number of Psychology BA's as all the psychology jobs in total.

Very interesting thread. My daughter is a soph and looking forward to all this.

My boys had a number of schools recruiting them

can you explain this please? we are just beginning the college process for our son who is a junior. how do you know if a college is "recruiting" you? he gets a TON of emails everyday, as do i, and a TON of literature in the mail.

but, what does "recruiting" mean to you? and when does/did it start? ds has terrific grades, takes virtually all "A" classes, is active in the community and pitches for the varsity team. he is a really well-rounded student, so i am hoping he gets "recruited". but, i dont have a clue what that actually means:surrender:...

but, what does "recruiting" mean to you? and when does/did it start? ds has terrific grades, takes virtually all "A" classes, is active in the community and pitches for the varsity team. he is a really well-rounded student, so i am hoping he gets "recruited". but, i dont have a clue what that actually means:surrender:...

I think that means personal calls. Maybe from the coach (for sports) or the head of the department he's interested in. Maybe personal notes, invitations to visit that are different than a typical open house.

can you explain this please? we are just beginning the college process for our son who is a junior. how do you know if a college is "recruiting" you? he gets a TON of emails everyday, as do i, and a TON of literature in the mail.

They may be looking at him....going to games... Following his stats....but they can't contact him till after his junior year...they will contact(call) as soon as they are allowed thru NCAA rules

If you want your child recruited make sure he signs up on recruiting web sights.....my daughter received a full athletic scholarship to a division one school and we were signed up on be recruited.com

Back