What's new

Flooded basement :>(

I'm sorry you have to deal with such a nasty mess. :huggy:

Michele, sorry for the mess you have to deal with.
I hope you take lots of pictures and talk to your insurance agent if you plan to claim insurance.

I hope your insurance covers it!!!!

Apparently, we don't have that part on our insurance to cover it. Best of luck.
what a mess.

I have a rider on my insurance for water backup. It is only for $10000 but it is better than nothing.

Our basement flooded last summer -- pulled out all carpeting and drywall - such a big pain in the butt!

Our neighbors flooded too, and had a contractor fix their basement and his suggestion was to use a very wide baseboard and to have wood paneling instead of drywall put back in. The paneling was put up and ended about 6 or 8 inches above the floor. The baseboards were really wide and covered the gap between the floor and the end of the paneling. This was done so that if they flooded again, they wouldn't have to rip out drywall as the paneling would more than likely dry out (if the water was high enough to touch the paneling. They also put down tile instead of carpeting and have area rugs now.

So sorry you are dealing with this, it is really awful to have a flooded basement!

Threw out 10 boxes of cereal because the box they where in got wet. Wahhhhhh it was very tragic to see that go since it was from one of the best Cat deals at Jewel. sob

When you make a claim your insurance shoots up like crazy. Last year everyone on our block claimed hail damage filed claims and we got a $200 hike for no reason. We where the only ones on the block that didn't file a claim!

Two years on the day Michael Jackson died, we had lightening hit our chimney and we claimed that along with some vandalism when our brass mailbox covers where torn off the wall. We had to have the wall fixed on the inside and we had a bricklayer make an address stone to cover up the whole where the mailbox was because NO one makes the covers anymore. Such a pain in the **** for something the guys that stole it probably got $2 for.

I have to wait til Monday to figure out if our insurance covers it. I am tired of looking for the policy. Why can't they keep that online for us?

The water is all the way down now, just puddles. Now for the real work - trying to pulll out the tons of damaged/ruined stuff. :(

Yay. Policy was online when I figured out where to look. It says the following, though I do not see any further information in searching the PDF about the water backup....but it IS listed so I am very hopeful......need to take tons of pix....

SPECIFICALLY LISTED BELOW ARE THE DECLARATIONS AND PREMIUMS FOR ENDORSEMENTS MADE A PART OF THIS POLICY. THE ENDORSEMENTS ARE ATTACHED STATING TERMS AND CONDITIONS.......

IN FORCE HO-208 (07-08) WATER BACKUP OR SUMP PUMP FAILURE

And many :grouphug: for everyones comments.

It helps to know there are people who care, when things are seeming disastrous.

Most insurance policy exclude "act of god", so if the flood is caused by heavy rain it may not cover. But it may cover if it's caused by sump pump failure during a heavy rain.

Last time they said that it was not considered a "flood" since it was not coming in the walls/doors/windows etc.

It was due to water backup from sewer. The sewer is not something we can control and sewage backup is not technically an "act of God" like a flood.

Though we may look into getting permanent sump pump installed

So glad the water has receeded. Sorry you're having to deal with this.

Although I really welcome the rain by me right now....

I feel for those of you flooding. I went to my sister's yesterday in mt prospect, and couldn't believe all the houses, cars, yards under water. My exit, dempster was closed and we drove down to willow, and took elmhurst the rest of the way. SO devastating. :pout: her back yard was under water, but no damage to her house, and thankful she didn't lose power this round.

Praying for a quick clean up and dry out for all of you.

The Dempster exit is right by my house.

The water had gone down by mid-afternoon and they reopened the road. Fans in the basement dont seem to be doing much good. House on one side of us (townhouses) is vacant due to foreclosure, concerned that water from their house will continue to seep into ours even once we think we are finished.

The Dempster exit is right by my house.

The water had gone down by mid-afternoon and they reopened the road. Fans in the basement dont seem to be doing much good. House on one side of us (townhouses) is vacant due to foreclosure, concerned that water from their house will continue to seep into ours even once we think we are finished.

A fan won't help you much you need commercial grade dehumidifiers. All you are doing in blowing humid air around the basement. please call someone in soon as you risk mold particularly or ecoli if you are truly dealing with sewage.

Back