What's new

For KJs Who Still Use CDg's

Chuck The DJ

Established Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
What player do you use? I am thinking about up-grading, and I don't think going with the computer is the way to go right now.....

what do you use and why?

Chuck, are you kidding me?

You need to be on computer based karaoke...

I'm not offering, due to your location, but I build turnkey Karaoke systems for guys about once a month.. even the biggest hold outs call me a week later and tell me how they'll never touch a disk again...

I also do disc to mp3+g or zip conversion for 25 cents a disc.

Call me man.... I'll make a believer out of you.

The disc is dead!

I use a RSQ MV-333.

Mostly because of the three trays but you can also do some neat things with the remote if you don't lose it like I did.

You can use it to cue in up to 3 songs to play automatically and it also has a shuffle feature if you just want to play music.

What player do you use? I am thinking about up-grading, and I don't think going with the computer is the way to go right now.....

what do you use and why?

I use a couple, but Ben is taking on Pioneer, and If you can get one of their multi-trays, THAT would be my recommendation... Unquestioned quality and a strong service record.

Mine got hurt, and I've been using an RSQ triple, as well as a V2GO single for certain things. Neither match the Pioneer, in my humble opinion, so I will also be getting another.

Chuck, are you kidding me?

You need to be on computer based karaoke...

I'm not offering, due to your location, but I build turnkey Karaoke systems for guys about once a month.. even the biggest hold outs call me a week later and tell me how they'll never touch a disk again...

I also do disc to mp3+g or zip conversion for 25 cents a disc.

Call me man.... I'll make a believer out of you.

The disc is dead!

Steve,

Apparently you missed the thread title. But as long as you're here, if the disc is dead, how come none of the top mfrs. have gone completely digital? As a matter of fact, how come some who have produced digital releases have STOPPED doing so?

By the way, you really should do an oscilloscope comparison between MP3s and discs. It might make a DISBELIEVER out of you...

MP3s may be missing the absolute full range of the original but the truth of the matter only 1% of the population probably would be able to tell the difference without a scope. Unless you're talking about something that has been ripped below 192 then you can definately tell the difference. But my sister and I have a pretty good musical ear and if you rip everything at 320, its pretty hard to tell the difference.

Human ears aren't all that accurate when you compare it to pretty much any other mammal.

ahhhh, now don't derail my thread about what is better.... it's just that I am not good with technology,,,

Chuck,

While I don't believe they are being made anymore I have always used Pioneer, Laser disc players early on and then the V10Gs, I still own 10 of these units but only have one disc based system still in use, it uses 2 V10Gs which makes for a very fast run show.

Personally I have now gone to computer based system mainly because carrying a big arsed player box and 2000 CDG disc just doesn't appeal to me any more!

If you are interested I will pull down and test a couple of V10G units for you, will sell them cheap but you have to pay shipping cost!

I have a Pioneer V555 I will let go for $200 which has never been in a system it has only been used a small amount here in the studio!

Steve,,, are they rack montable?

And truthfully, I would love to go computer based, but it just scares the hell outa me....

but I have been thinking about it...

And truthfully, I would love to go computer based, but it just scares the hell outa me....

They are rack mountable if you use a rack tray otherwise no they are not.

Going computer was the best thing I ever did, it isn't hard just a little time consuming converting your disc to MP3G base. Sax & Dotty probably has the easiest to use (and maybe the cheapest) system out there.

Think harder...

:sqwink:

you won't regret it. EVERYTHING about going computer based is easier. No more "maintaining" song books. Once you're computer based, you can use a program that simply reads the files and whips out an updated book in seconds. Do you realize how much time you spend looking up discs? How hard is it to type a few letters and drag a song to a singer on screen?

Are you worried about how long it will take to rip all your discs? I'm sure you know a KJ in town who already has most of your stuff ripped.

I could go on and on, but the fact remains that in 2008, there really is no great reason to keep spinning discs.

Joe,
I can't remember the last customer that brought an oscilloscope to my show, but now I'll be on the lookout!

and I'm sorry, but I can't resist....

Why would someone who is so concerned about fidelity use a big yellow sponge ball on his mic? they're far from acoustically transparent...

Just sayin....... :) lol

Joe,
I can't remember the last customer that brought an oscilloscope to my show, but now I'll be on the lookout!

and I'm sorry, but I can't resist....

Why would someone who is so concerned about fidelity use a big yellow sponge ball on his mic? they're far from acoustically transparent...

Just sayin....... :) lol

Well, I apologized to Chuck, but I guess those who NEED to push MP3s can't leave it alone...

The last first: The yellow ball was a joke picture- Goofing on the fact that some singers equate mic quality to color of windscreen.

As for the scope, the point I was trying to make was it's not worth the time, trouble, hardware costs, incompatable or glitched software, no quality contol AT ALL on MP3s, and all the ripping time to switch to a medium which, even if you love it and can't tell the difference, can only be described as ALMOST AS GOOD. As previously posted, even the most devoted MP3 fans won't tell you they are better than CDs as a sound source.

I get paid top dollar. Personal pride demands that I give my customers the best, and not settle for second rate for my own "convenience"- which it really isn't.

By the way, why is it that PC KJs need to push what they have, while CDG hosts don't bother? Hey, we LOVE the fact that you use MP3s!

Actually Joe is correct as to the quality difference between CDG disc and MP3G files, there is a noticable difference BUT (and you will notice the big but) the difference in convinence, setup and work time will make a believer out of those who try it.

And Steve and Joker are also right very few if any patrons will notice the difference btween a 256 file and a CDG disc as far as sound goes.

Now for the big yellow windsock on the mics. They make a huge difference in mouth pops and can save a dropped mic. I use them all the time! As far as sound goes it isn't going to hurt the sound anymore than using MP3Gs!

Kiddies!!!!!!

This is my sandbox, play by my rules! LOL ;)

I enjoy all the info and it is a hard choice....

Back