What's new

FYI: Chartbuster online

Does it include the lyric swipe or are the just audio only? If they are with swipe, they are only available for personal use only according to Itunes tos.

Notice that Chartbuster calls it a "performance track" in iTunes. Its just the audio track.

rumbolt said:
they are only available for personal use only according to Itunes tos.

That distinction is mute if you are playing it under an already valid ASCAP and BMI license.

We've been steadily uploading tracks to iTunes for several months. They are audio only at this time, as iTunes has yet to understand the value of "true" karaoke with lyric wipe. We're working to change that misconception, but for now, most tracks have both a vocal and an instrumental version, sans lyric wipe.

Chartbusterette said:
We've been steadily uploading tracks to iTunes for several months. They are audio only at this time, as iTunes has yet to understand the value of "true" karaoke with lyric wipe. We're working to change that misconception, but for now, most tracks have both a vocal and an instrumental version, sans lyric wipe.

Besides, it takes less licensing too.... Remember SC's famous "Read Between The Lines" Eagles disc?

Proformance said:
That distinction is mute if you are playing it under an already valid ASCAP and BMI license.

Ask Chartbuster if it is ok to play there tracks for commercial gain regardless of the fact that the venue is a ascap, bmi and sesac "licensed".

rumbolt said:
Ask Chartbuster if it is ok to play there tracks for commercial gain regardless of the fact that the venue is a ascap, bmi and sesac "licensed".

Thanks for bringing up the question - it's stated in the terms of use for iTunes:

USAGE RULES
(i) You shall be authorized to use Products only for personal, noncommercial use.

Taken from: http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/terms.html#SALE

rumbolt said:

1.) It's not their track, only their recording - and CB is not entitled to any royalty... so what damage are you going to sue me for?
2.) The iTunes TOS is a contract between me and iTunes not CB.
3.) My ASCAP/BMI license supercedes the iTunes TOS with regard to public performance.

It bears repeating here:
Any venue harrassed by a karaoke manufacturer over "public performance" as an unauthorized "commercial use" should immediately contact their ASCAP or BMI account representative and request a review and opinion from the work's original publisher/author agency. They will in turn re-visit the relationship of the karaoke licensee in question. KJs and DJs are not without representation and power in these matters.

I won't speak to the practicality of making your own karaoke tracks but, for live DJ use I have on occassion contacted artists directly with a particular need/use and they often provide a free copy of the work in question, or direct me to where I can obtain one. This permission supercedes any one else's claim on my right to perform the work publicly.
Stay in School Chartbusterette.

Proformance said:
1.) It's not their track, only their recording - and CB is not entitled to any royalty... so what damage are you going to sue me for?
2.) The iTunes TOS is a contract between me and iTunes not CB.
3.) My ASCAP/BMI license supercedes the iTunes TOS with regard to public performance.

It bears repeating here:
Any venue harrassed by a karaoke manufacturer over "public performance" as an unauthorized "commercial use" should immediately contact their ASCAP or BMI account representative and request a review and opinion from the work's original publisher/author agency. They will in turn re-visit the relationship of the karaoke licensee in question. KJs and DJs are not without representation and power in these matters.

I won't speak to the practicality of making your own karaoke tracks but, for live DJ use I have on occassion contacted artists directly with a particular need/use and they often provide a free copy of the work in question, or direct me to where I can obtain one. This permission supercedes any one else's claim on my right to perform the work publicly.
Stay in School Chartbusterette.

But only Chartbuster can grant you public performance rights of their "recordings" and they grant the right to ITunes to offer their "recording" for personal use. That is how I read and understand it. I think Chartbusterette can clairify that.

Chartbusterette said:
What's your point? Do you have one?

Absolutely. You only have to pay a compulsory fee to recreate the music. No synch license, no lyric reprint. No licensing from the publisher directly. Just as SC didn't need "permission" to issue a non-graphic version of Eagles songs, you're simply doing the same thing.

Glad I could explain it to you.

rumbolt said:
But only Chartbuster can grant you public performance rights of their "recordings" and they grant the right to ITunes to offer their "recording" for personal use. That is how I read and understand it. I think Chartbusterette can clairify that.

Yes, indeed!
Let's hear the karaoke manufacturers now tell us they prohibit the use of their compulsary licensed karaoke tracks in clubs and lounges. :)

c. staley said:
Absolutely. You only have to pay a compulsory fee to recreate the music. No synch license, no lyric reprint. No licensing from the publisher directly. Just as SC didn't need "permission" to issue a non-graphic version of Eagles songs, you're simply doing the same thing.

Glad I could explain it to you.

The video iPpod is karaoke capable, and I have seen karaoke tracks for the iPod. So, maybe the two manus could explain to us why - if they hold valid synch licenses for their CD tracks why they can not acquire them for the more prolific online edition? Is there simply no market for karaoke downloads or have they burned too many bridges along the way?

Back