What's new

FYI: Soundchoice online

Same as CB for non commercial use according to Itunes tos.

They have been on iTunes for some time. Just the tracks however. These are not MP3+G's.

On the karaokechannel website, their terms of use state:

"You can purchase and download thousands of karaoke songs licensed for personal, non-commercial use."

However, many of the Karaokechannel files are also on the PCDJ karaoke download site at: http://www.venuevj.com/karaoke.pcdj.

They claim "You can use the content we supply for commercial use."

Take it for what it's worth.

Singyoassoff said:
On the karaokechannel website, their terms of use state:

"You can purchase and download thousands of karaoke songs licensed for personal, non-commercial use."

However, many of the Karaokechannel files are also on the PCDJ karaoke download site at: http://www.venuevj.com/karaoke.pcdj.

They claim "You can use the content we supply for commercial use."

Take it for what it's worth.

Niether site has the authority to enforce that distinction oher than simply kicking you out of "their club." The public performance rights belong to the authors and publishers and are represented exclsuively by ASCAP and/or BMI. The license to create these derivative works provides no right or authority to intervene or curtail the performance royalties of the underlying work. The karaoke manufacturers limitation rights on commercial use are limited to copyright and distribution of the new recordings themselves, and not the manner or place in which they are performed.

Proformance said:
Niether site has the authority to enforce that distinction oher than simply kicking you out of "their club." The public performance rights belong to the authors and publishers and are represented exclsuively by ASCAP and/or BMI. The license to create these derivative works provides not right or authority to intervene or curtail the performance royalties of the underlying work. The karaoke manufacturers limitation rights on commercial use are limited to copyright and distribution of the new recordings themselves, and not the manner or place in which they are performed.

As someone recently remarked: "Bingo!"

Any venue harrassed by a karaoke manufacturer over "public performance" as an unauthorized "commercial use" should immediately contact their ASCAP or BMI account representative and request a review and opinion from the work's original publisher/author agency. They will in turn re-visit the relationship of the karaoke licensee in question. KJs and DJs are not without representation and power in these matters.

I won't speak to the practicality of making your own karaoke tracks but, for live DJ use I have on occassion contacted artists directly with a particular need/use and they often provide a free copy of the work in question, or direct me to where I can obtain one. This permission supercedes any one else's claim on my right to perform the work publicly.

Proformance said:
Any venue harrassed by a karaoke manufacturer over "public performance" as an unauthorized "commercial use" should immediately contact their ASCAP or BMI account representative and request a review and opinion from the work's original publisher/author agency. They will in turn re-visit the relationship of the karaoke licensee in question. KJs and DJs are not without representation and power in these matters.

True, very, very true.

Back