What's new

Gcn=$100

Evan

Senior Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Early Wednesday morning Nintendo of America held a private conference call with the press and retail outlets to discuss some of its future plans. The company's senior vice president of marketing and communications George Harrison first announced that effective September 25 GameCube will retail for the reduced price of $99.99.

A timed press release crossed the wires at exactly the same point. The following quotes are from the release:

"So far in 2003, Nintendo GameCube is the only home console showing an increase in unit sales compared to 2002," said George Harrison. "Every time a generation of technology has moved into the true mass market, Nintendo has prospered. This incredible new price and our great software offers are designed to accelerate that trend like never before."

"This is not only good for Nintendo, but great for consumers," said Lucky Evani, Toys 'R Us representative. "For $99, you can now buy video game technology that you couldn't have purchased for $99,000 just a few years ago."

Via conference call, Harrison revealed details of the price reduction, including why Nintendo chose to do it, and then fielded questions from reporters. Here are some of his key points from the call:

"This is an aggressive move by Nintendo. This is an indication that this generation of consoles is about to enter the mass market."

"We believe this [GCN price at $99] is the best value in the history of videogames."

"We believe that the most aggressive move we could make was to get to $99 -- under $100."

"Around the world, GameCube continues to be the number-two selling console."

"Between now and the New Year more than 100 new GameCube titles will hit the shelves."

"$99.99 is not the whole GameCube story. Yes, the price is great, but it's only part of the bigger picture."

"We believe Mario Kart: Double Dash!! will become the top-selling new release for the rest of the year."

On GBA and GCN now selling at the same price: ""I don't think it creates a problem. In fact, you can buy an SP and a GCN for the price that you now pay for a PlayStation 2 bundle. We continue to sell as many GBAs as we can get."

"We don't have any plans to do any software bundles."

"Corporate goal for the year is still six million GameCubes to be shipped."

"GameCube production will begin again later this fall."
Harrison also noted that Soul Calibur II for GameCube is outselling all other versions. He said that it is specifically outselling the PlayStation 2 version at a ratio of three-to-two.-ign

For all of you that want a GCN but didnt want to spend $150-$200 Now is the time to go out and get one!!

I'll buy one once the price goes down to $50. Nothing against GC, but I cant afford anything over 50 bucks.

God **** that's cheap console goodness. How much does a GBA cost in the US?

A Gamecube costing as much as a GBA SP... shows how bad the GCN sold under expectations (or hopes).

GC sold more than Xbox did worldwide. Consoles don't generally go down because of how bad they sell, they usually go down whenever they reach their money peak and don't need any more. They can go down because they haven't sold enough, but I'm certain Nintendo didn't drop the price simply because of that.

I go to a lot of video game stores - And you know... I have never, not once, seen someone pick up anything other than a PS2 or a GC and look at it. Nor have I seen anyone looking at Xbox games. Now, there has been the rare occurance, but in the last few months I've seen a helluva lot of GC's being bought. In fact, the other day at funcoland I saw someone trading in their PS2 for a GC.

As for the price drop - Since I already own a GC, it doesn't benefit me. However, if I do decide to one day buy a GC for my **** or something, I'll keep the price drop in mind.

It's okay to back up your console like a fanboy... er... fangirl, but Nintendo didn't halt production of Gamecubes because they were selling too many ;).

Yeah, this is just what we need, more GC fan...person. We have it bad enough since everyone here pretty much came from nnow.

I'm not a fangirl. I'm just simply stating factual information. If you don't believe me - Then look it up.

We all know the Gamecube has sold more than the XBox worldwide, no one is disputing that. You were wrong in stating that Gamecubes are selling so well that they are able to drop the price and I think the fact that Nintendo halted production of Gamecubes and that they sold far under expectations last fiscal year should be enough to prove that.

Back