What's new

General gripe about spammers on social media sites

carntheroos4eva

Expert Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Gotta hate what they are trying to do on facebook these days.
They sign up as a facebook member only to go around trying to suck you in to trying to add them as friends. It's like a stupid competition. It's annoying. People have started doing this on instagram as well. They do the same on twitter.
Apologies for the choice of swearword that I am about to use but this whole thing is ****ing pointless.

this has been going on for years and years, it was happening on myspace and will happen on the next "big thing" as well :(

They will say something along the lines of:
Like this if you think this is cute. Then they show a photo and then they put on the bottom of the photo as a comment like if you want more followers.
The problem is when you go to report them for spam and you go to block them the block function won't work.

The only ones that annoy me are the dm's on twitter like
"hey, this person is saying blah blah things about you"

it makes me wonder who falls for that

Yeah that sort of spam is nasty because if you click the link that these people DM you, they hack your account

this has been going on for years and years, it was happening on myspace and will happen on the next "big thing" as well :(
Yup, it was a lot of worse on Myspace. Myspace gave you the ability to have unlimited friends, where Facebook is capped at 5k friends, then you see people making new pages when that happens.

Yeah that sort of spam is nasty because if you click the link that these people DM you, they hack your account
That's true, you just have to watch the links that you click. And if you click one by accident, clear your cookies, run a virus scanner, and then change your Facebook password because if you don't change it, the spammers will stay having access.

Yeah, I've gotta say, this is nothing new at all. It's annoying, but I figure it as just a normal part of social networking sites in general. You're not going to have a social media site that doesn't have someone trying to spam people, ya know? Pinterest is another one that can get really bad....which is unfortunate because it was so clean and fun to begin with.

Spam on the web of late is becoming horrendous on sites, it's like they suddenly winning the war now. They always been more or less kept at bay in the past, but lately...

I don't really know what these people are getting for doing these kinds of things. Are they earning money for spamming on social networking sites?

I don't really know what these people are getting for doing these kinds of things. Are they earning money for spamming on social networking sites?

Yes. For some, it's a matter of getting people to click the links and it takes them to a site where there's ads. Easy money. For others where it causes an account to be compromised and then spam all of their followers, too, then that's thousands and thousands of people they get access to in a very short amount of time.

Some affiliate links are cached, too. So if someone spams an Amazon link, for example, and people click it....it doesn't matter if they buy right then. They might buy something completely different on their own within 48 hours and the spammer will get credit for the sale.

Yeah, I've gotta say, this is nothing new at all. It's annoying, but I figure it as just a normal part of social networking sites in general. You're not going to have a social media site that doesn't have someone trying to spam people, ya know? Pinterest is another one that can get really bad....which is unfortunate because it was so clean and fun to begin with.
I think as a site grows in popularity, the more spammers it'll see.

It's getting to the point where social media is starting to stink due to all the spammers farting around on there.
Twitter's ok but facebook and those people who spam are just disgraceful.
I hate those Like this if you hate or love or whatever. I just report each and everyone of them to facebook as spam and scam.

Back