What's new

Go The **** To Sleep

Brandon

Legend Of The Universe
PF Member
Reaction score
So I recently found out about this book from Twitter called "Go The **** To Sleep"
I saw this picture and thought it was a joke at first but then some of the ppl around town said they had bought it..lol

View attachment 4257

Here is Samuel L. Jackson's reading of the book "Go the **** to Sleep"

Would you get this and read it to your kids?
I think it's funny, but I wouldn't want my son getting used to that word.

Attachments

• 61Q1lBRzTXL.jpg
    61Q1lBRzTXL.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 73
lol! Gotta love it when some people think that it's ok to swear at their kids to tell them to get to sleep.

That was funny. I think I'm gonna send that to all my friends who have kids and laugh at them because I don't have to wait for them to go the **** to sleep so I can do whatever.

That was funny! Samuel L. Jackson did a great job reading this book- his narration made the book even funnier

So I recently found out about this book from Twitter called "Go The **** To Sleep"
I saw this picture and thought it was a joke at first but then some of the ppl around town said they had bought it..lol

Here is Samuel L. Jackson's reading of the book "Go the **** to Sleep"

Would you get this and read it to your kids?
I think it's funny, but I wouldn't want my son getting used to that word.

And we wonder why society is going down the drain. Anyone who would read this to there child should not have a child. Im just hoping this is a joke and no one is suggesting to really read this to there child.

And we wonder why society is going down the drain. Anyone who would read this to there child should not have a child. Im just hoping this is a joke and no one is suggesting to really read this to there child.
I have a few friends on Twitter that say they've read it their kids. :foot-in-mouth:

Here's an opinion piece on that very subject. ;)

"Go the F*** to Sleep" not funny

(CNN) -- "Go the F*** to Sleep" is being hailed as a cathartic children's book for parents. Beautifully illustrated and written in the same witty prose style as generations of beloved bedtime storybooks, this read has made a startling climb to the No. 1 spot on Amazon and as a New York Times Bestseller.

Who can explain it?

As the title suggests, "Go the F*** to Sleep" mocks the parental frustrations of trying to lay a child down to bed. Crass in concept and execution, this is an expletive-filled bedtime story intended solely for the amusement of parents.

Joan Demarest is an attorney in Corvallis, Oregon, and the mother of three young boys. Demarest told me that initially she thought the book was funny. That was before she read it. "Now I find it unsettling. I don't like violent language in association with children."

She has good reason to be concerned about the message behind such a parody. Demarest was the prosecuting attorney in one of Oregon's most high-profile child murder cases. She understands the fear that far too many children endure because the lines of what's appropriate parenting have become blurred.

Nobody is suggesting that there's a connection between Adam Mansbach's book and child abuse or child neglect. Still, there's no denying the reason "Go the F*** to Sleep" should be kept out of reach of children is because of its violent language and because of the way it demeans children.

"Imagine if this were written about Jews, blacks, Muslims or Latinos," says Dr. David Arredondo. He is an expert on child development and founder of The Children's Program, in the San Francisco metropolitan area, which provides consultation and training for those working with troubled youths.

It is hard to imagine this kind of humor being tolerated by any of the marginalized groups Arredondo cited. Consider the lines on page 3:

"The eagles who soar thru the sky are at rest
And the creatures who crawl, run and creep.
I know you are not thirsty. That's bulls**t.
Stop lying.
Lie the f*** down, my darling, and sleep."

The irony, says Arredondo, is that the people buying the book are probably good parents.

"The people reading this book are educated parents, who actually care about their children and are frustrated that often their children don't behave the way storybooks display."

Parents often don't act in the way storybooks depict either. Putting kids to bed can be a challenge, and it may be an even bigger problem for this generation of parents because the sacred bedtime ritual of reading to children has gone away.

"I think it's pretty important to note that most kids in this country do not get read to at all when they go to sleep," Arredondo says.

That lack of interaction between parent and child troubles him.

"It's a big problem" he says. "There is nothing in the cosmos, nothing known to man, that comes remotely close to the complexity and the elegance of the architect of every child's brain as it is developing. Neglect of a developing child's brain is a terrible thing."

Source: CNN

I wouldn't swear at a kid who was under the age of 5. But once they hit primary school go right ahead. They will hear that sort of language in the school ground from other kids.

I wouldn't swear at a kid who was under the age of 5. But once they hit primary school go right ahead. They will hear that sort of language in the school ground from other kids.
I still wont swear in front of my kid, or at least try not to.
I grew up in a house where we didn't swear, to this day I still won't swear in front of my mom. ;)

And this little kid ust happened to have a copy of it...? That's really convenient lol.

Okay Kiddies.. if you think the book is something we would actually read to our kids... Come on.. get serious!
The book is truly how parents feel at the end of a long hard day when exhausted and your munchkin just will not go to sleep!
Most of us that have kids will get it.. Mine are all teenagers now.. but I have been there... and loved the narration done by Samuel L Jackson!

"Don't you know that's how I Talk? Haven't you seen my Movies? A #$*%in SHARK ATE ME!!" Love Dave Chappelles impersonation of Samuel L. in that skit. This is pure gold as a joke book, but if I bought it for my child, I'd of course have to say, "be quiet and go to sleep." LOL

Back