What's new

graphics card

GINA

Senior Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
i need a new graphics card and don't know what to get, i'm not too familiar with them. i'm running whatever gfx card compaq gave me... i have a p3 800mhz with 320mb ram. any suggestions?

Nothing less than 32mb if you want to be able to game with it. However, with the new stuff that's coming out, you may want to shell out some more and get a 64mb.

If you go GeForce 3-4, do not get MXs, TI's or FX (FX if you have the money). Besides that, RADEON from 7500 and up oughta do nicely.

EDIT: And there's a GeForce 4 out now with 8X anti-aliasing.

honestly, you do not need a 128 MB card just to let you know. graphics will be amazing without it,. and it will save you money, etc...

for for the radeon 7500 ;) (www.newegg.com)

I would recommend a GeForce 4 Ti's, FX's are a fair amount more expensive however I didn't notice much change.

I think you should upgrade your system first. Then get a 9700. Those rock. :p

why should i upgrade my whole system? everything else is fine, and i don't have a lot of money right now
thanks a lot for the input though!

i wouldnt recommend it if you are short on cash...but i would suggest it. p3 800 MHz is about the slowest chip you can buy anymore...lol. there are 94 3.6 GHz and stuff....320 MB RAM can get the job done...but 512 is more stable IMHO.

if you dont have cash...dont do it - you will be fine....a bit slow, but fine

yeah this thing is fine. why does it need to be any faster? "whoa, my documents file just opened faster that before!" it's not worth it to me. but i'm definitely in need of a graphics card so i can play war3 up to speed :)

i swear there was a similar thread like this were i said what was the best graphics card..

but the best at the moment is the 9600 radeon.
but not far behind is the gefore 4 series :)

Um, you mean the 9800? And ahead of the 9800 is the GeForce FX series...

see i have the same thing but it's Gefore 3.. what ya think of it SilverStrand

sounds fancy...but like i said above, you do not need a 128 MB card tat this point in time;)

yeah but the games coming out now ill require 64 megs + for a video card..

hey all i have registered just to talk to u lot about this one subject.

at the moment the best card out is between the 9800 pro and the 5900 ultra ...

the 9800 is the choice as its slightley behind but is abotu 300 pounds cheaper than the 5900 ultra.

as for your system i would reccoment a 4 mb max old card.

why would u want to put a 9700 pro or a geforce 4 or evan a 9100 pro lol in that pants system...

it just wouldent ever utlise ur system.

the 9700 and 9800 pro are very cpu intensive..

i reccomend u keep the card u use at the moment untill u have money to upgrade your system..

hope this helps regards sam :)

Yeah, but British currency is all ****ed up anyway :) :delight:

$348 - GeForce FX 5800
$395 - RADEON 9800 Pro 128MB

But hey, you were talking about the 5900 Ultra, so they could be about even.

I haven't read comparitive benchmarks between the two yet, but from the number crunches that I've read on the FX, I'm thinking it's the better of the two. But hell, I can't say for sure.

uh, yeah. so i went to best buy and they tell me: "you can't buy any of these if you have a laptop, you have to go through compaq"

Just get a geforce 3. they are the best value for moeny atm.
And they are good trust me i have open. Run ALL the games perfectly from UT2K3 to PlanetSide

just listen to what i said...best buy (at least the one i work at) does not have video cards for my laptop

Back