What's new

GRRR 60 Hz noise

karaoke_carlos

Establishing Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I don't know what happened last night, but it's really annoying me. I have been using the same components for some time, and they've been rock solid. Last night, when i arrived at my show, I had a HORRIBLE 60Hz noise going through my system and I couldn't eliminate it for the life of me. As best as I can tell, it's the computer that is creating this noise, but it doesn't make sense. I'm using the integrated sound card from the motherboard for Karma.

As a side note, I do run CUE/Virtual DJ through my DNHD-2500 on the computer, but I don't think this is where the noise is coming from.

Any suggestions?

If your laptop power supply has a grounding plug lift the ground!

Change your audio source cable from the sound card to the mixer!

Are you running through a a power conditioner?

How high should the ground be lifted? I'm like 5'6" and could probably get it at least 7' in the air if I stand on my toes.:sqwink:

Plug the laptop and mixer into the SAME plug.
Use only balanced signal connectors from the mixer to everything else in the setup.

Any new neon beer signs hung at your venue? Make sure they are not on the same circuit as your system.

jokerswild said:
How high should the ground be lifted? I'm like 5'6" and could probably get it at least 7' in the air if I stand on my toes.:sqwink:

Be careful, them grounds can get heavy. BTW, are you the grounds keeper?

If this happened at a die-cutters' event it may be my old stamping ground.....:sqerr::sqrolleyes:

Come to think of it, if you didn't lift the ground and this happened in the bar of a billiard hall, would it be in-ground pool?

But serially folks.....

Hey I know you're out there, I can hear you breathing above those crickets...

Here's a few more details:

I'm not using a laptop. Using a rack-mounted system. Tried it at home today and it looks like the noise is still there. So process of elimination is taking over. Unplugged everything in the rack one by one and noise prevails. Sounds like it's coming from the cheap Mixer GRRR Gotta love vocopro.

Well, it looks like it was an issue with one or more faders/sliders being dirty. I went to Radio Shack and purchased some electronic cleaner, followed it up with some compressed air. Fired it up and not it's fine. Maybe not perfect (since I can't really test it at full range), but it's MUCH better and I think I can work with it this week.

Thanks for all the help!

C:>

OK. This is NUTS! I had the system plugged in at home, in the garage three days. I couldn't make the hum go away for the life of me. I was ready to just power through it at the gig last night and... what's that I hear? NO BUZZ!!! GRRRRRR Frustrating when I try to find intermittent issues.

On a balanced input and output system, I had a similar issue on my right speaker. Turns out, it was a 1/8" to XLR patch cord. When I jostled it, the problem went away. I think sometimes the solder or wire in the connectors can short...

Well... i don't know what happened, but the issue seems to be gone. I haven't done anything else! <shrug>

Back