What's new

Halloween Dinner

How'd it go? Did you have enough candy?

Went well..............we had some candy left but mostly Tizzlers which the boys aren't thrilled with.

We always would have something fast, like pizza, sloppy joes, chilli, finger food type stuff.

We are having a chicken pot pie from Costco.

My DH loves them and I can only afford about 1 a year.

Taco soup. Every year our neighbor has a party on Halloween. Everyone brings a dish to share and we just hang out after we are done trick our treating. Usually have a big movie screen set up and kids watch movies outside or hang out with the parents around a nice fire.

It's always something easy that can be in the crockpot while we are out trick or treating and then quickly thrown on the table when we get home. I'm thinking beef stew for tomorrow.

Whatever the neighbourhood serves up that we go TOTing in.

Lex and now Lawson get invited to go to this neighbourhood where all of the kids TOT together. It is crazy to see 20 kids going house to house together and the wild decorations that some of the houses do. Because it is a fairly tight knit group the candy is awesome - mostly full size bars from each of the houses. Last year I had to take a grocery bag and empty Lex's TOT bag into that so his didn't get too heavy.

Towards the end of the route they know to hit the houses that have hot dogs, pop and popcorn.

It is an absolute blast.

Usually pizza but this year I had chili in the crock pot, busy day with parties.

chili or pizza most years--this year I am alone :(

dh is going to Iowa to watch my boys soccer playoff game

ds and dd are going TOT with the exchange students then one of the host families is having all the kids over for a "party"

when my kids were small we always TOT then came home and watched a movie while they warmed up ( nightmare before christmas!!) they spent the night sorting candy and winding down after a busy day--I cant even imagine going out to a party with small kids after TOTing--I was always room mom so by 6 or 7 I was wiped from the long day

My grandmother started a tradition when my Mom & her siblings were little. She would make vegetable soup. She said the vegetables would cancel out all the candy!

My mom continued the tradition (not that I appreciated it when I was young) and I also make soup every Halloween. Not necessarily vegetable soup but something with lot's of veggies in it! Always in the crock-pot...much easier!

Today I'm making chicken & dumplings in the crock pot. I'm timing it to be done when the kids are finished trick or treating.

Chicken & Dumplings

I add peas, carrots, celery to the recipe and sprinkle with Thyme & Poultry seasoning!

Decided on ham sandwiches and potato soup. Easy enough!

Thanks for all the suggestions......have a safe Halloween!

Taco soup. Every year our neighbor has a party on Halloween. Everyone brings a dish to share and we just hang out after we are done trick our treating. Usually have a big movie screen set up and kids watch movies outside or hang out with the parents around a nice fire.

This sounds terrific...I think I am going to start a new tradition with our friends and do this also. What a great idea!!!!

We are having sausage and s'mores on the bonfire. Every year our neighbors and us all grab a chair and sit around a bonfire in one of our driveways and the kids just come to us instead of going to each of our town homes. Makes it fun for us an easy for the kids!

I'm making ham & pepperoni stromboli. Usually I go all out & make all kinds of Halloween food- appetizers & desserts- but DD14 is the only one here & she's just not into it anymore. :pout: In the past she would go out TOT with her friends & they would all end up here for food.

Everyone with little ones have fun today! :bliss:

Halloween mac n cheese for the kiddos and nachos for me and the hubby!

I'll have some wine and a candy bar and Brody will have a sedative.

Viola my meal plan is done :bowing:

:lol:

Back