What's new

Have you ever filed a complaint to the BBB?

ginac0

Establishing Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
We had hail damage to our roof during a nasty storm in 2008. I would say a majority of our town had damage to siding/roofs/windows/trees/etc. In our neighborhood alone I dont know of any house that didnt get ANY damage. Anyway, point is, it was a bad storm.

A contracting company based out of Frankfort came out and did repairs to several homes, thats how we got their name and used them. I suppose you could make the argument that we should have done our research, and looking back, yes, I agree. All the neighbors that used these guys havent had a problem.

To make a long story short, they replaced siding on two sides of the house and the entire roof. We got the run-around about the roof, they ended up doing it in October or November of that year. I'm not a roofing genius, but from what I've heard, you have to lay a roof in the heat so that they will 'seal'. And ever since then, we have had problems that I cant even begin to type out everything.

They have come out a few times each year since and 'patched' the roof. We are having a problem with one specific area, a north-west facing part of roof. As I type this, there is a large area of the roof that does not have any shingles on it. Nails are exposed and a gutter is hanging off. It looks like crap. I'm getting the 'we'll be out there' line over and over. They are supposed to put a tarp over the roof until they can figure out what to do with the roof, and we're still waiting on the tarp. (Which we'll need becuase about two years ago when the shingles fell off we had water IN the house.)

Anyway, I did a BBB search and found out that Lisa madigan filed a suit against them last year, in a situation that sounds scarily similar to ours. They have an "F" rating. Their BBB accrediation was revoked in 2010.

So, back to the original question: Have you ever filed a complaint with the BBB? If so how long did it take for resolution? BBB website says 30 days, is that true?

How awful, so sorry. Wish I had an answer for you. Praying it will get resolved in a good way.

We have never filed a real complaint. Usually just telling the company we are planning on filing gets the issue resolved within a week.

I have once. Had car insurance with a crappy company. Ex got into a bad accident. They were wanting to pay out 1/4 of the actual damages. After much back & forth, I filed a complaint. Now don't quote me on this as it was years ago, but if I remember correctly within a week of getting the BBB invovled I had a check from the agent for significantly more then I was originally told was "all they could authorize". I later received a follow up from the BBB. I think it was basically a, "Did this get resolved?" letter.

good to read this info- i'm going to complain about sears automotive in chicago ridge. thanks for sharing

forget the bbb

just call lisa madigans office

I'm calling again tomorrow. Again, another day with no word from them. I am going to tell them I'm calling the BBB and Madigan's office. I copied the notice on bbb's website, for everyones reading enjoyment lol. I took out the names because I'm not ready to *publicly* call them out...yet.

Government Actions

The following describes a government action that has been resolved by either a settlement or a decision by a court or administrative agency. If the matter is being appealed, it will be noted below.
On June 10, 2010 Attorney General Lisa Madigan announced five lawsuits filed against home repair businesses, alleging they defrauded Illinois consumers of more than $167,000 in down payments by performing substandard work or no work at all.
Madigan filed three lawsuits in Cook County including ********** with addresses in Manhattan, Ill., and Frankfort, Ill., and business owner ***** ******* and General Manager ******* *******. According to Madigan's complaint, the defendants visit areas damaged in severe storms and promise homeowners that the repair work will be covered by their homeowners' insurance. After the defendants allegedly offer to contact the insurance companies and repair any damage for the amount consumers are reimbursed from their insurance claims, they fail to complete the work as promised.
In each suit, the Attorney General is asking the court to permanently enjoin the defendants from engaging in the home repair trade in Illinois. Madigan is also seeking to have the defendants pay restitution to consumers, a civil penalty of $50,000 per defendant, additional penalties of $50,000 for each act committed with intent to defraud and an additional $10,000 for each act committed against a senior citizen, and the costs of prosecuting the cases.

Back