What's new

High School AP Classes and Exams - are they worth it?

I'm not sure but I believe what classes you need to take depend on your major and university. DD #2 is majoring in nursing and will have 2 years of Spanish to attend St Xavier. I can't even think of any kid I know that has 4 years of the same language.

I took 8 AP exams (Physics, Bio, Chem, English, Am Hist, Eur Hist, US Gov and Calc)--it does vary a lot what different schools will do with them, but a good score looks good for competive admission, scholarships etc. I actually declined sophomore standing, but didn't regret taking the tests.

As to the language--are they actually requiring that for admission or to avoid taking language at the college level? My university required the equivalent of 2 college years in one language to graduate. I had taken 3 years of French in Jr High and wasn't even going to take the test because I intended to take other languages (I eventually took Latin, Hebrew, Sanskrit and Hindi) but my freshman roommate, who "summered in Paris" insisted I should take the test with him. It was hysterical, I went to the library the day before and studied grammar to try to revive my French I hadn't looked at in three years and tested out of the first two years and he, who actually spoke it quite well, only tested out of the first semester. It was very awkward for the rest of that year because he kept trying to speak to me in French and didn't believe me when I told him--truthfully--that I didn't know what he was talking about.:lol:

College counselor we use insisted on 4 years of same language, if possible an additional 2 of another for the very competitive schools. Also said as many of the AP classes in core classes as your child can manage regardless of the cirriculum you're going into. She suggested many of the colleges will want subject tests in those classes and to plan on those as well. Example Northwestern wants 3 subject tests minimum beyond the ap tests and those are only given once a year, on SAT saturdays.

If I remember correctly, you live in Naperville area with pretty good school districts? I don't know how tough are AP classes nor your child, but if you think your child is capable and up to the challenge, why not?

I used to teach in an A-Level program in Malaysia that prepared our students for British universities. One of my students changed his mind and decided to apply for American universities, he was accepted into Engineering program in Purdue University and got enough credits to skip the entire year of work! We also have several students who got accepted into Ivy League universities in US every year, they usually get credits for the work and scholarship offers. I remember this very bright young man's acceptance letter to Harvard included a paragraph that told him he didn't have to worry about the financial. And, A-level was/is not the most academic rigorous program. That showed how much more work the students in Asia are doing in high school level!!

I might offend some of by saying that, may be a lot of students are not coping well in college work is because they have no rigorous academic preparation for college work ? I have also taught some college level courses, the students who flunk the courses were usually those who came from an internally assessed instead of external exam programs. In an external assessed exam, the tests are standardized and no begging could get them through. (Believe me, I have students came knocking on my office's door to beg for marks after every tests!)

Of course, not everyone should go to college or go the academic route. :)

I second looking into the subject tests (in my day they were the "achievements"). My guidance counselor didn't know about them--the sum total of the guidance you got at my school seemed to be that Mormons went to BYU and non-Mormons went to the U of U. Anyway I found out about the Achievements when it was too late to take them for another 6 months--it ticked me off because there was one in particular (I think it was one of the sciences) that if I had known what I was doing I could have taken like 2 days after the corresponding AP exam instead I took it like 9 months later.

right, that's what i understand is the subject tests are given the week after the AP, so yoou've already studied the material, take the subject tests also while it's still fresh.

The trend in AP class is not getting you exemption from college classes...more and more colleges are not exempting you from courses because that is costing the colleges money. They are using them as a means of admission. The same with SAT subject tests. You need to be very very clear on the admission requirements of the college you are interested in. Check the common data set of the colleges you are interested in. The more selective the college, the more SAT subjects tests they require.

As for honors versus AP for GPA. You want to have the most rigorous academic schedule your school offers. College admissions officers are looking at the profile of your school and students from your school to determine who gets in and who doesn't. If you think taking easy classes and getting all A's puts you in better standing than a kid who took the hardest classes and got a B, you'd be wrong.

As for the OP question in AP US History, my advice is do not take these classes unless you are ready and able to do college level work. The classes are hard. The reading is intense. It also requires strong writing skills. My DD13 is a grade skipped freshman with an A in AP World History and works for hours a night on notes. She's one of maybe two A's out of 60 kids. You'd better really love social studies or be able to fake it. It's not for the kid with casual interest.

I'm not sure but I believe what classes you need to take depend on your major and university. DD #2 is majoring in nursing and will have 2 years of Spanish to attend St Xavier. I can't even think of any kid I know that has 4 years of the same language.

Most kids I know have or plan on four years of language. Again, not based on major intended but based on ability to get into a selective school. Duke, the baby Ivies, Carleton etc etc. But they have to be kids who will do well in four years of a language, preferably also an AP language exam.

Back