What's new

Hints for saving money

sunny

Emerging Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Please post your ideas & hints on how to save money

Save your change. You'll be surprised how much you can save.

1> Buy in bulk if you can.
2> Pay off what can be paid off. i.e. car notes, student loans, stuff that actually goes away when paid off.
3> Buy cars for cheap, in cash if possible. Cars are the worst investment ever!!!
4> Buy non-perishables and resist eating away from home. Use that stuff you bought in bulk.
5> Go buy food after you have eaten. You buy more when you are hungry.
6> If there is a generic version of it. Buy that one. Usually it's made by the same company anyway.
7> Shop around! If it is over say....50 bucks, chances are many stores, and or websites will have it in stock. Find the cheapest.
8> Learn some skills, sewing can be a awesome skill. Since my gf learned to sew we haven't bought pillows, or pajamas. lol (you still need the material, but usually it is way cheaper than buying the done product.)
9> In the winter time seal up unused windows and doors with plastic to help on electricity or gas bills. Keeps the warm air in and cold out.
10> Find some hobbies that don't take a lot of investment. If you like to go out to see movies, find them on the internets instead. You don't get the same atmosphere but it is a heck of a lot cheaper. More.....soon.

Thanks all these helpful hints. I also find it helpful to cut back on how many times I go to the supermarket. I nearly always get more than what is on my list. e.g. sometimes cheaper to get a loaf of bread from local bakery even tho it costs more ... it tastes better and like I said I'd spend extra at the supermarket on other stuff.

Every little bit does count. So often things are so many dollars and so many cents eg. $1.95. It's surprising how the cents add up. Even saving 5 cents can add up over time. Also not wasting stuff especially food, using up the little bits at the bottom of the jars and using up the left overs.

Make a proper spending budget and give your necessities more importance and ignore or at least give less priorities to stuff which are not so important.

For saving many you have to develop four habbits

Balance your checkbook monthly
use your wallet
Always use a list when you go grocery shopping
Know Ahead of Time What You'll be Serving for Dinner
... and stick to what's on the list. Don't be tempted by all the specials. Tho' sometimes it may be necessary to alter a menu or recipe as you may see a cheaper ingredient which is just as good to use. When planning the menu look thru the specials BEFORE you leave the house.

I find paying the bills over the phone really helpful. I use BPAY. You don't need a credit card , it just comes out of your bank account. It means I can pay them as soon as I get them. Of course I have to make sure a certain amount of money is saved in the account.

Saving money regularly is easier said than done but even a little bit adds up. My daughter was pleasantly surprised when she opened up her small change money tin and discovered she had saved over $400. Someone said consider saving like a bill ... something you have to put money aside for.

Budgeting for EVERYTHING is probably the best advice. In my house, we keep a spreadsheet for every year, each month has the consistant bills: Rent, electric, cable, etc. over the course of the previous month I add any variable bills that come in like the gas bill. Everything goes in that budget including money for the little stuff like the laundromat, a friday night pizza, birthday gifts, a 30 pack for a friends BBQ, etc.

If it's not budgeted, chances are we aren't spending on it. Of course one unexpected car repair can wipe your projected savings but that's murphy's law. If you happen to go over budget on something take away from something else instead of just saying "I'll do better next time".

Secondly, shop cheap. The dollar stores have quite a bit of dry goods as far food goes. Toiletries come from the dollar store in my house. Family Dollar while not a true dollar store often has Folgers coffee cheaper than groceries stores. I'm lucky to have an Aldi close by which has fantastic deals on just about everything. Aldi's in house brands are generally very good taste wise. All my meat comes from a local butcher. We buy a meat package every month for between $60 and $90 dollars, depending on what we want/need and always have leftovers. Every 3rd month I skip the meat package and use the leftovers.

Thirdly, shop smart. The dollar store isn't always the cheapest. Ounce for ounce laundry detergent is cheaper at Wal-mart than the dollar store. If you overbuy food (bulk items) chances are any savings you got buying in bulk will be mitigated by what you throw out because it went bad.

Fourth and last, maintain your stuff. For example if your car battery is weak, spending $70 at Wal-Mart to replace it now rather than waiting until it goes completely dead and having to pay $85 for a service call plus getting raped for $100 for a new battery at the garage is money well spent.

Back