Homemade crackers recipes...anyone?

fords8

Hanging Out!
Peak Director
Peak Mediator
Mountaineers
PF Member
Reaction score
So I'm tired of spending $2-3 on a small box of snacking crackers only for my kids to munch them in a day. I figure there's gotta be cheap recipes for homemade ones somewhere. Well I got out my Bisquick (yeah, I love the stuff) and made some dough and rolled it super thin, cut into strips then the other way for pieces. I then pricked the dough with a fork and baked them. Once done brushed with garlic butter. I couldn't get them as thin as store crackers yet, but the kids loved munching on them (sprinkled parm. cheese on some for one kid).

Anybody make cracker type things? I'm looking for something not from a mix...maybe that I can add cheese. Kid's snacks are killing me this summer! Can't wait for school to start! They're munching my cupboards bare!!!

This one of many recipes for cheese straws. If you Google you can find other variations. I've never made them, so I really can't judge if this is a good recipe or not.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/cheesesnacks/r/bl1221d.htm

Oooh those look tasty! I've heard of cheese straws before. I'll give it a try once the boys are back in school and have "me time" in the kitchen lol. Wow it takes almost two sticks of butter though...at the raising butter prices I might be better off buying store crackers though lol. Wonder if I could get away with using margarine?

. Wonder if I could get away with using margarine?

You might try the Butter Flavored Crisco. If you go with oly, make sure it's 70% fat. I think only LOL and IBINB offer that.

How about making some 'trail mix' with some on hand cereals, pretzels, maybe some rasins? I hate to use the oven any more then I have to in the summer, just heats the house up too much.

I take pita (that I get cheap in the day old section)
Open them up & cut into triangles. I spray one side lightly with Pam, then sprinkle on whatever seasoning I feel like - garlic powder, onion powder, just salt & pepper... etc.
then I put them in the oven on a baking sheet just long enough to get them crispy. Store in a ziploc bag after they cool. DS19 and his buddies love them.

Open them up & cut into triangles. I spray one side lightly with Pam, then sprinkle on whatever seasoning I feel like - garlic powder, onion powder, just salt & pepper... etc.
then I put them in the oven on a baking sheet just long enough to get them crispy. Store in a ziploc bag after they cool. DS19 and his buddies love them.

Oooh that sounds tasty!!! I would then use them to dip in hummus! :bliss: Oh now I have to have some pita chips and hummus!

Thanks for the idea. :)

cheese puffs -

3/4 cup butter or marg
2 cups flour
2 cups cheese
paprika
Tabasco
salt

mix until it looks like pie dough

Roll into small balls, and bake 350' for 20 mins.

I do this with corn tortillas--they come out really well but I don't have to worry about storing them because I rarely have leftovers. They are good with cinnamon & sugar too if you prefer sweet to savory. These are also gluten-free which is terrific for my oldest dd.

Sometimes dh brings home pitas from work (reps bring them as part of lunch & no one else wants the leftovers). Usually we don't end up finishing them before they go stale so I'll try this next time we have some.

cheese puffs -

3/4 cup butter or marg
2 cups flour
2 cups cheese
paprika
Tabasco
salt

mix until it looks like pie dough

Roll into small balls, and bake 350' for 20 mins.

Very interesting. Just a dash of paprika, tabasco and salt?

yes, just add whatever amt you want...more Tabasco if you want spicy etc.

Back