What's new

Hosting Karaoke with new desktop PC

The Wizard Of OZ

Active Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
So I was thinking. What if I wanted to host Karaoke with a desktop instead of a laptop?

One thing that makes a laptop easy and convenient is that it has a VGA port and a S-video port on the side. How would I run an external monitor for the singer off a desktop PC?

I'm not taking about building a PC, I'm talking about an HP or Acer or other name brand desktop that usually comes with video built into the motherboard because it's cheaper.

They almost always have a PCIe slot on the motherboard if you want to get a better video card, but do the upgrade video cards have 2 VGA ports or a VGA and an S-video?

My old PC that I built has 1 VGA port and 1 HDMI port. If I want to hook up 2 external LCD monitors I need one VGA cable and one HDMI cable and I don't even know if they can both be running a the same time?

As far as I know the newer video cards aren't using HDMI ports anymore?

So who knows about this stuff?

You can but Why?

Yes they are somewhat cheaper but notebooks are cheap and compact.

I would never want to lug around a desktop more for size not weight.

You can buy just about any configuration of video card you would like, it all depends on what you would like to spend.

I recommend at least 256mb of video ram for 2 monitors and 512mb for 3 monitor outputs.

You can find video cards at places like tiger direct.

It's not because a desktop is cheaper, it's because I can get a more powerful video card in a desktop than in a laptop and because it's nice to have a backup. You didn't answer a single question I asked.

How do you run 2 monitors off a desktop? that's what I was asking, not if it can be done. I didn't ask how much video ram I need or where I could buy a video card. It wasn't a debate about what's better to carry around, a desktop or a laptop? It wasn't about whether Chinese food is better than Mexican food or if I should use a CD player or a computer. I didn't ask IF I should use a desktop. I already have a laptop and I'm already using it.

Ron there are other inconveniences running a desktop with a portable constantly re setting system. Many have onboard pro systems and us that choose the lappys. Carrying a tower around portable is a problem waiting to happen.

I already have a a laptop and I'm already using it.

Are you people trying to make me crazy?

If you don't know anything about what I'm asking then why are you on this thread?

I asked specific questions and I was VERY clear. I wasn't looking for advice about carrying around a desktop. JEEEEEEEEZ

2 monitors form a desktop is the same setup as running on a notebook.

If you do not have a second video output, you must buy a video card. I thought that was self explanitory.

Types of video cards available are PCI-E, PCI, AGP

PCI- E or PCI express is the fastest if supported by your motherboard.

Is you monitor DVI or VGA how do you want to connect tv? DVI or s-video

Most cards have dual DVI and a single s-video out.

If you have a vga monitor simply buy a vga / s-video output video card.

Wiz: If you have a video card with dual heads you would do it much the same way as you do from your laptop...

If your desk top doesn't support dual displays you would need to install a video card with dual video support the card will have typically a VGA and S-Video and a third output high definition monitors.

I wouldn't install any card with less than 128mb of video ram. I'm maxed out with my MSI card with 512mb and am very pleased with it's capabilities.

I run all of my shows from a desk top PC.

I think you answered my question Rob. So do you use the S-video port on the video card and then out to a box and then to the two monitors or do you use one VGA cable and an S-Video cable to the other display? How do you actually hook both LCD monitors up???
Then the operating system manages both displays? It's still not clear how to do it . . .

I'm wondering Cam if you bothered to read my first post?

Yes I did. The rest of your answers> In simple as possible form.

So I was thinking. What if I wanted to host Karaoke with a desktop instead of a laptop?

Yes you can do this.

One thing that makes a laptop easy and convenient is that it has a VGA port and a S-video port on the side. How would I run an external monitor for the singer off a desktop PC?

1 Buy a computer with the video outputs you want for your monitors.

2 Install a video card into a currently owned computer.

I'm not taking about building a PC, I'm talking about an HP or Acer or other name brand desktop that usually comes with video built into the motherboard because it's cheaper.

Most computers with a video card on the motherboard only have a single video output. Thus you must install a video card that supports 2 outputs.

They almost always have a PCIe slot on the motherboard if you want to get a better video card, but do the upgrade video cards have 2 VGA ports or a VGA and an S-video?

You can buy a video card in just about any configuration you wish.
2 VGA; 1 VGA 1 Svideo;1 VGA 1 DVI 1 SVideo; 1 DVI 1 SVideo. There are even many I have not listed.

My old PC that I built has 1 VGA port and 1 HDMI port. If I want to hook up 2 external LCD monitors I need one VGA cable and one HDMI cable and I don't even know if they can both be running a the same time?

If the video card has dual monitor support yes you can run both at the same time. You will need to go into the video settings to see if 2 monitors are available.

As far as I know the newer video cards aren't using HDMI ports anymore?

You are correct the new cards use DVI

I hope this better answers your questions.

I think you answered my question Rob. So do you use the S-video port on the video card and then out to a box and then to the two monitors or do you use one VGA cable and an S-Video cable to the other display? How do you actually hook both LCD monitors up???
Then the operating system manages both displays? It's still not clear how to do it . . .
\

The svideo can go out to your tv's

The VGA will go to the monitor you are using.

If you plan to use 2 LCD computer monitors one must have an s-video in. If not you need a video card that supports dual VGA out.

I use the VGA out on the video card to my PC monitor and they with a S/video to Composite to a Y-splitter I can run two TVs off of one output.

When I use and A/B switch I run the S/Video to Composite adaptor straight into the input of the switch and then and then use the y-splitter from the A/B switch to the TVs

So then some of the new video cards actually come with 2 VGA ports? I didn't know that. I guess if I get serious about this I need to go to ebay and look at some video cards.

Do any of you know of specific PCIe video cards with 512MBs that can run 2 different LCD monitors at the same time?

What is this DVI that you speak of Cam ???

Wiz.
I use a desktop, and run 2 LCD flats, 1 for my monitor, and 1 for my karaoke monitor.

I have a higher-end, dual head Nvidia GeForce Video card...(9300) i think.

When you install the card, you have to set it up to use 2 seperate screens,
another way is to use the "Extended Desktop" feature. (I wouldn't use it)

My card has a HDMI, S-Video, And a VGA output.

I use the VGA to my monitor, and the S-Video to my karaoke monitor.
And also use the S-video when i patch into the TV system, and Projector at the bar.

Using a Desktop has its benefits, And its dis-advantages too...

Learn how to take it apart, and re-seat the processer, and memory, and how to re-seat the video card and sound card in the slots..

They get josseled around, and sometimes will not boot up....(Blue Screen, and no BEEP at start-up) This has happened to me TWICE in 4 years...
So don't panic.....My desktop has served me VERY well.

I like it much better than a lappy.

The Wizard Of OZ said:
So then some of the new video cards actually come with 2 VGA ports? I didn't know that. I guess if I get serious about this I need to go to ebay and look at some video cards.

Do any of you know of specific PCIe video cards with 512MBs that can run 2 different LCD monitors at the same time?

What is this DVI that you speak of Cam ???

DVI is becoming the standard monitor output for computers. It's compatable with HDMI and VGA.
[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface[/ame]

DVI can be converted to VGA but in order to use a converter it must be hardware capable. Most video card have one DVI connection being VGA compatable, you will need support for 2 VGA ouptuts (Unless you have a DVI compatable monitor.) It will work converting a no vga compatable ouput but singla can be lost and most people will not reccomend it.

Here is a dual VGA output video card:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3617638&CatId=3594

You can buy DVI to VGA adapters just about anywhere. Most video cards come with one. I would check mono price for additional.

Holy crap Batman, I just went to ebay and looked at a few video cards and some of them have 1GB of video RAM now, I about crapped in my pants. I am way out of touch. Since I got a laptop I haven't payed any attention. I wonder what else has changed that I missed?

Another very simple method is to use a VGA to RCA converter and simply use the RCA inputs to however many TV/monitor screens you want to run. Don't go cheap with VGA to RCA converters though it does make a difference!

I have had two systems set up using SFF desktops built into a slant top box using these converters and they worked well, however I too would rather use the laptops!

I don't plan on using any TVs. LCD computer monitors 19" and up.

It just occurred to me that if I get a bar or restaurant where I'm there several nights a week I could have a desktop computer locked up in a plywood box along with my mixer and amp instead of load in and load out every night.

Holy crap Batman, I just went to ebay and looked at a few video cards and some of them have 1GB of video RAM now, I about crapped in my pants. I am way out of touch. Since I got a laptop I haven't payed any attention. I wonder what else has changed that I missed?

The new Intel Core i7 is a quad core with hyperthreating. It no longer uses a front side bus.

New processors support up to 24 gb of ram.

Blue ray burners are nearing the $200 mark

Solid state hard drives are becoming affordable.

That's about the most recent computer news.

Back