What's new

Hosting Karaoke with new desktop PC

It's not because a desktop is cheaper, it's because I can get a more powerful video card in a desktop than in a laptop and because it's nice to have a backup. You didn't answer a single question I asked.

How do you run 2 monitors off a desktop? that's what I was asking, not if it can be done. I didn't ask how much video ram I need or where I could buy a video card. It wasn't a debate about what's better to carry around, a desktop or a laptop? It wasn't about whether Chinese food is better than Mexican food or if I should use a CD player or a computer. I didn't ask IF I should use a desktop. I already have a laptop and I'm already using it.

Running a desktop insted of a laptop has sever advantages, one of which does include the ability to upgrade and replace components quickly and cheaply. As cam said, the DVI is the new standard for LCD monitors, and being supported by almost every aftermarket video card. It is basically the computer version of HDMI, giving you the clearest picture possible.

i had a rack mounted computer built a few years ago. I had a video card with 2 vga outputs put on it for karaoke.

Everyone hates it. having to lug the rack with the 2 monitors. Everyone one of my guys, including me, prefer the laptops over the rack mounted.

On busy weekends, it's a running joke about who got stuck with big bertha.

stick with the laptops. it's much more designed to be mobile.

the reason I was tossing the idea around was because if I could get a smallish desktop computer with a PCIe slot and put in a powerful video card with 512MB, I though it might have a performance advantage over a laptop.

I love walking in and opening the laptop up and being ready to go so easily, I just wondered about the difference and how it would work as far as what ports I would need on the desktop video card. I could also see using a desktop if I get a bar or restaurant where I'm hosting Karaoke 3 or more nights per week and all my gear stays there. I could walk in with my hard drive, plug it into the USB port and be ready to go in a few minutes. I have a Karaoke player for customer disks.

Wiz,

This is just my personal experience but I will share it with you anyway!

1. Most bars already have multiple TVs mounted in the room.

2. Most bar owners or managers don't mind you plugging into their TV system.

3. Most of these systems are going to require "RCA" inputs for your connection (to reasonably get from your location to the distribution area for the cable)

4. Why carry an extra piece of gear in when you don't have too?

Why are you using LCD computer monitors for video monitors when there are flat screen LCD TVs that have DVI, HDMI, RCA, F Connector and SVGA connections all on them and for a price right in line with a straight computer monitor?

By the way My main systems all use laptops with docking stations (which have RCA outputs on them)

I much prefer the Laptops to the desktops for exactly the same reasons Scott stated!

Aside from what Thunder just said....

Having all that video power is basically wasted on karaoke in the first place... it's not high resolution to begin with.....

Unlike most here I prefer using a desktop PC for both karaoke and regular DJ.... because of the benefit of being able to modify and expand it as need be... and usually cheaper to maintain than a laptop.

That said... I am probably going to move to a laptop soon for the vary reason stated by other laptop users.

VGA to RCA adaptor

Another very simple method is to use a VGA to RCA converter and simply use the RCA inputs to however many TV/monitor screens you want to run. Don't go cheap with VGA to RCA converters though it does make a difference!

I have had two systems set up using SFF desktops built into a slant top box using these converters and they worked well, however I too would rather use the laptops!

Thunder - Or anyone else - Can you give me a recommendation for
a good VGA to RCA converter ? I would like it to be good enough
to run video, as well as CDG graphics.....

Is there a good (any) USB to RCA video converter ? I'm just beginning to
research this video stuff...... Thanks

I already have a a laptop and I'm already using it.

Are you people trying to make me crazy?

If you don't know anything about what I'm asking then why are you on this thread?

I asked specific questions and I was VERY clear. I wasn't looking for advice about carrying around a desktop. JEEEEEEEEZ

I know what you mean. Thats like asking someone for the time and they give you answers about the weather. :sqlaugh:

VGA to RCA Adaptor

Paul,

There aren't any really great one but one of the ones I am using in a desktop system is here....

http://sewelldirect.com/PC-to-TV-Converter.asp?altProduct=SW-4262

the other is this one and it is a lot better unit for picture quality but the price is reflected in that.

http://www.buy.com/prod/video-scaler-component-composite-s/q/loc/101/10405126.html

Thunder - Are you using one of these http://www.buy.com/prod/video-scaler-component-composite-s/q/loc/101/10405126.html ? It looks like this one
takes a variety of video signals and converts them to VGA - Am I confused
on this ?

I'm for the Desktops for myself, because I have a truck with a lift gate, and don't have to ever lift anything..

My guys are now getting the little Asus Aspire One Lappy as their Karaoke / VDJ machine. I take them apart, and replace the drive with a 500 gb sata drive, and then lock the computer with safe end personal protector.

This way, the guys can't copy my music, or plug anything into the machine that I don't authorize... Even a different USB Mouse is rejected. Only the peripherals whose serial numbers I keyed into the software are allowed.

I stick it, a behringer 1204fx mixer, two wireless and a power strip to a little tray I make, and that's it..

You could even carry the setup in a little car.

Get This! I was able to build 6 new machines this week for under $1500

Ready?

AMD Athlon x2 7750 processor $48.00 (Micro Center)
Slim PC Case W/ Power Supply $42 (Micro Center)
4 gb Kingston Ram $12 (Fry's after $20 mail in Rebate)
1 TB Hard drive $89 (Frys limit one per customer... we went back 3 times)
Gigabyte motherboard with integrated 512 mb ATI graphics $58 (Frys)

So basically $250 for a monster machine that does video mixing, karaoke, DMX lighting, Textlive, and only runs 14% CPU while running all of those at once. I have 12 full power USB Ports, as well as E-Sata for my 8TB video Raid

I now have 3 machines in my rolling rack with a 4 way KVM, so I'm triple backed up.

You can't get a laptop that powerful for that price range.

granted, a 19" widescreen monitor is still $99, keyboard, and mouse are also needed.

I just also bought 4 1GB Nvidio 9700 cards from fry's.. they were $24 after rebate.

Computer parts are soooooo cheap right now.

Insane!!!!!!!

I do it the same way Thunder does, even when I use the PC. Yes, it's one more little thing to carry, but the easiest, and not very expensive.

Also, for the VGA to RCA conversion, I use a broadcast quality Extron converter..

You can find them on ebay for $80 all the time..

Most of my rigs are using the Grandtec converter, and it's clear as a whistle until you start adding sheer footage to the run.

I now pretty much run everything on amplified VGA cable, and if I need to go into RCA, Grandtec. If it's the other way around, I use the Impact Acoustics TV to PC converter...

Also, for the VGA to RCA conversion, I use a broadcast quality Extron converter..

You can find them on ebay for $80 all the time..

Most of my rigs are using the Grandtec converter, and it's clear as a whistle until you start adding sheer footage to the run.

I now pretty much run everything on amplified VGA cable, and if I need to go into RCA, Grandtec. If it's the other way around, I use the Impact Acoustics TV to PC converter...

Thanks Steve - What is the model # on the Extron you use ?

Hi Paul, I use the IN1776.. I think it might be discontinued now, but there always seems to be one on ebay...

Like I said, I'm a huge fan of the grandtec converters too..

I just like the extrons, because I often need to use RGB outputs instead of composite, as the Composite port is often occupied in many bar TV's..

VGA to RCA Adaptor

Hi Paul, I use the IN1776.. I think it might be discontinued now, but there always seems to be one on ebay...

I just like the extrons, because I often need to use RGB outputs instead of composite, as the Composite port is often occupied in many bar TV's..

Thanks Steve - Do you or anybody else know anything about this
unit - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...tails.asp?EdpNo=3557004&csid=ITD&body=REVIEWS - USB input ?

Extron converter

Thanks Steve - I found one of the Extron's on e-bay today......

Paul,

I have like 8 of those k world units.. they're clean, cheap and work like a dream..... USB is only for supplying the 5 volts it needs to operate.

Back