What's new

Hot and Heavy

GoingNova

Peak Forum Legend
PF Member
Reaction score
Folks, I just wanted to say that the past few days we have been posting on some very hot issues. I know people have very strong opinions on both sides, and I just wanted to say that so far everyone has been doing a good job keeping the peace.

Personally, I disagree very strongly with some of you, but that doesn't mean I don't like you, or I do not respect your opinions. I hope everyone remembers that one of the primary functions of this site is debate. We generally do a good job at keeping it civil, but sometimes when such hot issues are discussed, I sense some tension. I sense some tension now. ;)

So, everyone take a deep breath, step back, and remember: not everyone agrees with you all the time. That doesn't mean we can all still be friends. :D

No excuse me while I get back to playing my current addiction:

success2.jpg

wowlogo.jpg

Personally I see that certain people are only acting their age. Some younger men are known to be full of piss and vinegar. It seems to be a rite of passage. Regardless of what an adult has to say, the younger person is going to challenge it. It is all a part of the maturing process.

I don't agree with some of the opinions expressed here but isn't that what it is all about - complain, vent, debate? The only thing that I found offensive ( devil worshiping aside) was the fact that one of your posters referred to Irish as BS. Certainly done intentionally from what I see. I can fully understand if Irish does not respond to that person's posts in the future. After all, if one expresses his opinion or views and those personal thoughts and opinions are referred to as Bull Shit then why bother putting any effort into debating. Grant it I would imagine the young person disrespecting Irish did so only to appear "cool" to the other young people on the site. It did little for me and certainly makes me think twice about answering any of the disrespecting poster's comment. Then again, I am not known for backing off from anyone.

why would someone try to look cool on a website.

Also no 'disrespect' because that's what I do being young an all...don't put people into catgories on their age...I know fo some people who can be alot wiser than some older people.

I'm having a bad month can you tell...

SISTER_KATE said:
Personally I see that certain people are only acting their age. Some younger men are known to be full of piss and vinegar. It seems to be a rite of passage. Regardless of what an adult has to say, the younger person is going to challenge it. It is all a part of the maturing process.

I don't agree with some of the opinions expressed here but isn't that what it is all about - complain, vent, debate? The only thing that I found offensive ( devil worshiping aside) was the fact that one of your posters referred to Irish as BS. Certainly done intentionally from what I see. I can fully understand if Irish does not respond to that person's posts in the future. After all, if one expresses his opinion or views and those personal thoughts and opinions are referred to as Bull Shit then why bother putting any effort into debating. Grant it I would imagine the young person disrespecting Irish did so only to appear "cool" to the other young people on the site. It did little for me and certainly makes me think twice about answering any of the disrespecting poster's comment. Then again, I am not known for backing off from anyone.
Was BS meant to refer to Irish? I though the reference was to the source of the quote Irish was using. I didn't quite understand why that caused so much trouble, but if that was the message bob_gray meant to convey, or that was how it was interpreted, it makes a lot more sense.

SISTER_KATE said:
The only thing that I found offensive ( devil worshiping aside) was the fact that one of your posters referred to Irish as BS. Certainly done intentionally from what I see. I can fully understand if Irish does not respond to that person's posts in the future. After all, if one expresses his opinion or views and those personal thoughts and opinions are referred to as Bull **** then why bother putting any effort into debating. Grant it I would imagine the young person disrespecting Irish did so only to appear "cool" to the other young people on the site. It did little for me and certainly makes me think twice about answering any of the disrespecting poster's comment.
I'm not sure how old you think I am but I'm sure it has _NOTHING_ to do with anything. If you actually go back and read my posts for what they say and not what you want them to say you will notice that the part that was labeled BS was nothing that ANGLOIRISH said but rather a quote that he attributed to Thomas Jefferson. When pressed for details all he could say was "liar". I'm sorry but that is not the action of a "mature" poster. Either he can back up his quote or he needs to admit that it wasn't who he said it was. As it stands the quote is BS. We had a similar discussion about a Churchil quote which after several post/counterposts was resolved to every ones satisfaction. If ANGLOIRISH and you choose not respond to posts obviously that is your business but calling me "young" in a derogatory manner is nothing but an Ad Homenim. So much for keeping things civil.

Go back and reread the "devil worship" thread and see if you can pinpoint where I said that Christianity was devil worship. Don't reply to it here but try to substantively answer my questions on that thread rather that sitting back and screaming "blasphemer". Attacking the poster in no way makes your argument any stronger. Why don't you try debating like an adult rather than a child on the playground. "Liar! Liar! Pants on fire!" just isn't going to cut it.

SISTER_KATE said:
Personally I see that certain people are only acting their age. Some younger men are known to be full of piss and vinegar.
Some older men are too.

Anyway, I think this thread is supposed to get people to chill out, not rile them up further. I wasn't offended by anything Bob_Gray had to say, on the contrary though, I am often offended by Angloirish's opinions...however, they are just opinions.

Last call!

I'm not sure how old you think I am but I'm sure it has _NOTHING_ to do with anything. If you actually go back and read my posts for what they say and not what you want them to say you will notice that the part that was labeled BS was nothing that ANGLOIRISH said but rather a quote that he attributed to Thomas Jefferson. When pressed for details all he could say was "liar".
FUNNY I SEEM TO BE READING THE WRONG THREAD. WHAT I SAW WAS A REPLY BY IRISH STATING THE EXACT PLACE ON THE NET WHERE HE FOUND THE QUOTE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS
nd I as Chief Magistrate of this nation am bound to give it the sanction of my example. Good morning, Sir."
This doesn’t look much like a statement saying that the Jefferson statement is BS. Especially since you had to go to the trouble of making BS BOLD! Do I detect a little back peddling here? Your question merely asks: Show when Jefferson was Chief Magistrate and we might begin to believe this. This sort of quote mining just shows how weak your argument is.

I'm sorry but that is not the action of a "mature" poster. Either he can back up his quote WHICH HE DID or he needs to admit that it wasn't who he said it was. As it stands the quote is BS. We had a similar discussion about a Churchil “Churchillâ€quote which after several post/counterposts was resolved to every ones satisfaction. If ANGLOIRISH and you choose not respond to posts obviously that is your business but calling me "young" in a derogatory manner is nothing but an Ad Homenim. So much for keeping things civil. VIM AND VIGOR, PISS AND VINEGAR WHATEVER! SAME DIFF! OBVIOUSLY NOT AN EXPRESSION IN YOUR CORNER OF THE WORLD!

Go back and reread the "devil worship" thread and see if you can pinpoint where I said that Christianity was devil worship. Don't reply to it here but try to substantively answer my questions on that thread rather that sitting back and screaming "blasphemer". YOU DO NOT SERIOUSLY BELIEVE THAT I WASTED ANY TIME OVER YOUR DEVIL WORSHIP COMMENT. LOL Attacking the poster in no way makes your argument any stronger. Why don't you try debating like an adult rather than a child on the playground. "Liar! Liar! Pants on fire!" just isn't going to cut it. STICKS AND STONES HONEY! SEEMS TO ME THAT YOU STARTED THIS WITH YOUR DELIBERATE ATTACK ON IRISH.

Here is what I see:
Uh.... Yeah.... sorry about that, it came out wrong. I was trying to say that the quote was BS. Your only "reference" is a book review on a decidedly biased website which pulls some out of context quotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_gray
Uh.... Yeah.... sorry about that, it came out wrong. I was trying to say that the quote was BS.
Please do not insult my intelligence. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out exactly what you meant by this "error". You don't make a good liar, gray. I suggest you not aspire to become a left -wing politician. Too many voters would be able to see right through you. LOL

IRISH, I DO BELIEVE (ACCORDING TO OUR CONVERSATION LAST EVENING) HAS DECIDED TO MOVE ON FROM BA AS HE FEELS THAT TRYING TO DEBATE WITH PEOPLE WHO CAN ONLY REPLY WITH NAME CALLING IS NOT WORTH HIS TIME OR EFFORT. GUESS BOB_GRAY YOU WERE THE STRAW THAT BROKE THE CAMEL’S BACK. Since I am only here occasionally, I will keep him up to date on what’s what. ENJOY PEOPLE. O AND GRAY I SUGGEST YOU STAY OUT OF POLITICS TOO! And why not try the spell checker occasionally. It does wonders for a post!

SISTER_KATE said:

IRISH, I DO BELIEVE (ACCORDING TO OUR CONVERSATION LAST EVENING) HAS DECIDED TO MOVE ON FROM BA AS HE FEELS THAT TRYING TO DEBATE WITH PEOPLE WHO CAN ONLY REPLY WITH NAME CALLING IS NOT WORTH HIS TIME OR EFFORT. GUESS BOB_GRAY YOU WERE THE STRAW THAT BROKE THE CAMEL’S BACK.

Seriously?

I'll wait until I hear it from Angloirish, but I can hardly believe that he'd leave just because of that. Afterall, Bob_Gray DID explain that he didn't mean Angloirish was full of BS, whether or not Angloirish believes him is another matter altogether.

Plus, on a debating forum isn't it good to have people who are constantly countering your opinions? One comment shouldn't drive you away. But hey, if it has, whatever.

I almost stopped coming to BA just because I find the American Conservatives are far too over-represented (I include Angloirish in this category due to him being an American at heart)...but then I figured I should stick around in case some non-conservatives, or non-Americans, should show up and need back-up. Also everything turns into a debate these days...I originally came for the venting, anyway, that's beside the point.

I don't know, it's just the internet afterall...it seems a pretty small quibble to leave over. But to each their own.

hhmm...he's leaving because someone said BS to him...*sigh*

It's amazing how well you know people and then something new appears...

This site is getting to flaming...were not supposed to flame at one another...only at other things...*shakes head*..

Damm said:

Seriously?

I'll wait until I hear it from Angloirish, but I can hardly believe that he'd leave just because of that. Afterall, Bob_Gray DID explain that he didn't mean Angloirish was full of BS, whether or not Angloirish believes him is another matter altogether.

Plus, on a debating forum isn't it good to have people who are constantly countering your opinions? One comment shouldn't drive you away. But hey, if it has, whatever.

I almost stopped coming to BA just because I find the American Conservatives are far too over-represented (I include Angloirish in this category due to him being an American at heart)...but then I figured I should stick around in case some non-conservatives, or non-Americans, should show up and need back-up. Also everything turns into a debate these days...I originally came for the venting, anyway, that's beside the point.

I don't know, it's just the internet afterall...it seems a pretty small quibble to leave over. But to each their own.
Going to have to agree with Damm on this one. There comes a point that you just have to realize it is not a matter of being "right" or "wrong", but rather a matter of opinion. Many of the arguments being presented are OPINIONS, and thus are immune to the "right" or "wrong" label. You also have to realize that no matter how well you write a response to a thread, no matter how strongly you feel about a particular subject, not everyone (heck, sometimes no one) is going to agree with you.

I have run this site since day one, and the original "I can not take this site anymore" people where those on the left. The site started with an almost 50/50 political lean, and almost immediately veered to the right when the people labeling themselves liberal left. Why they left, who can say. I guess only each person can answer that for themselves. The site has absolutely taken a jolt to the left, but in my opinion, that has only brought it back to 50/50 (if that).

Regardless, I agree with Damm, and I am deciding as I type whether to say this or not....

Ok, I will. Without mentioning names, I think more than one person has assumed that insults were made, when there were none, at least none that I could see. I guess ultimately it is up to the person who feels insulted, but as an impartial outsider looking in, and as site administrator, I saw no insults. Trying to be as fair as possible, I did see HOW a person might have construed an insult from a few posts, but I did my best to explain why I thought they were not, in fact, insults.

As the site administrator and owner of the site, I guess I have the final say on matters such as this, and the final say is that Bob Gray DID NOT violate the "No Flaming" rules of BashAnything.com. I am not "Defending" Bob here, hell, Bob is a very bright person and does need "Defending". What I am doing is trying to "Set the Record Straight".

It bothers me greatly to say this, and I feel like perhaps I am throwing fuel on the fire here, but to be fair, while I can say that Bob Gray didn't insult anyone, I can say that he was insulted. I really like everyone involved in this thread, and I don't like saying this, but I feel I must.

Sister Kate, you actually insulted Bob, not the other way around. Your "And why not try the spell checker occasionally. It does wonders for a post!" is a far cry from an "attack" or a "flame", but frankly, I found it to be a very cheap, low shot to take, and trying my best not to sound condescending, I guess I expect better from you.

Let me be Frank: Bob Gray and I do not agree on many issues. On most we are probably as far apart as two people can be, but that does not change the FACT that he is entitled to speak his mind. I am THRILLED that people such as he, Jatkins, and Smo have decided to grace us with their presence, because I believe well thought responses to my positions, even though they are polar opposites, are healthy for the mind and help me strengthen my opinion. Posting in a place where everyone always agrees with me gets old quick. At least to me it does.

In closing, it has been my experience that those on the left have usually been the people who "cut and run", or tried to "silence" those with dissenting opinions to their own. It appears I have witnessed an occasion where the opposite is true.

It was not my intention to chide or chastise anyone in this reply. If that has happened, I am sorry. But as an owner of this site, I felt the necessity to step in and "call it as I see it". I am not sure if it is possible, but I would prefer we just "put this all behind us", like a loving family does when it has a huge fight, and move on. Things were said, people got angry, such is life. Pick up the pieces, and move on.

All I pray is that we don't moveon.ORG! ;) I detest that organization! :laughing7

In the spirit of reconciliation

I would like to take this opportunity to run my post through a spell checker :) and also thank GoingNova (and everyone else who weighed in) for his assessment of the situation. As a gesture of good will I would like to provide you with some Calvin and Hobbes.

calsnow1.jpg

calsnow2.jpg

calsnow3.jpg

calsnow4.jpg

calsnow5.jpg

calsnow6.jpg

calsnow7.jpg

calsnow8.jpg

calsnow9.jpg

calsnow91.jpg

calsnow92.jpg

calsnow95.jpg

calsnow96.jpg

calsnow97.jpg

Oh, yeah, that's the stuff. So funny, thank you for that Bob, I think we all needed that.

bob_gray said:
I would like to take this opportunity to run my post through a spell checker :) and also thank GoingNova (and everyone else who weighed in) for his assessment of the situation. As a gesture of good will I would like to provide you with some Calvin and Hobbes.

Rumor has it that Calvin and Hobbes is gay orientated. Surely it is well known that in Calvin and Hobbes - Calvin is obviously a gay plushie. Oh, he doesn't dress up, but his partner Hobbes does. I never thought that anyone would see Hobbes as just a stuffed tiger. I wasn't aware that a cartoon would be the only response to being caught with your pants down.

You know...

Maybe *I* should leave, just so I don't have to witness such childish behaviour.

I've already explained my side of the story and you have explained yours. How was me explaining my position yet again going to clarify the situation any further? If anyone is still confused about what happened I would be happy to cut and paste from my previous posts.
ANGLOIRISH said:
I wasn't aware that a cartoon would be the only response to being caught with your pants down.
This comment is very constructive. Thank you for bringing my pants to my attention.

ANGLOIRISH said:

Rumor has it that Calvin and Hobbes is gay orientated.

Not sure I ever heard that. I LOVE Calvin and Hobbes. I bought the new boxed set that just came out. :)

Back