What's new

How can I block facebook?

A

ayla8

I followed some instructions I found but even if I type facebook.com as the only website I want blocked, it also blocks msm.com, etc.

I'm trying to do this because my DS14 thinks that being on facebook is more important than doing homework and his grades are showing the effect of fu.....g facebook.

Thanks.

You need to block the proxies, but you can set up rules and punishments for them going to the site since it is your home and it is basically because you said so. Are you using parental controls to black facebook? I have never had that problem, but havent blocked in a while.

You can also get keylogger for free and see every keystroke and get screen shots as a follow-up (I think it has some spyware, but this was for the house computer and we do no business on it so it was no problem for us)

ALL my kids got into facebook and myspace at school and their computers were blocked. They used proxies (which I don't know enough about to explain...but someone else must!)

When my son first went to public schools he was introduced to the world of unedited radio versions of music and the website lyrics.com that would post the lyrics to the songs.

I complained to the school and they said they block it. He was about 10ish and he got a myspace page. I complained and they promised me that was impossible. I then went through the keylogger and saw him searching for videos on how to get around firewalls and told the school who swore it was due to my poor oversight that he found these things, this was 2006...kids today are probably born with the ability to get around firewalls. :lol:

You need to block the proxies, but you can set up rules and punishments for them going to the site since it is your home and it is basically because you said so. Are you using parental controls to black facebook? I have never had that problem, but havent blocked in a while.

You can also get keylogger for free and see every keystroke and get screen shots as a follow-up (I think it has some spyware, but this was for the house computer and we do no business on it so it was no problem for us)

He breaks the no facebook rule every day when we are at home. He needs the computer to turn in homework for 2 subjects and he opens one more window for facebook and is on it when I'm not looking and he pretends he's doing homework. As far as punishments the only one left is taking him from the swimming team.
Thanks for the advice.

He breaks the no facebook rule every day when we are at home. He needs the computer to turn in homework for 2 subjects and he opens one more window for facebook and is on it when I'm not looking and he pretends he's doing homework. As far as punishments the only one left is taking him from the swimming team.
Thanks for the advice.

LOL...been there, survived (I hope) see above post. But it gets better, they do grow up and get more responsible or learn to fake it well enough for you to feel like you've won.

You can also get the password and change the password to the account so only you can sign him in to it and log out after. Set it up with your e-mail so even if he tries to change the password you will get an email notification of him trying to change it. If your son is anything like mine was/is, he already knows how to bypass whatever will be put in place. (mine is looking into computer programming and electrical engineering now, so he will use the powers for good soon I hope)

Rather than blocking particular sites, which will typically fail due to the workarounds such as proxies, start instead by blocking all sites and opening up those sites that you want them to have access to.

If you are searching on the internet then you are looking for Parental Control software.

Here are sites that lists freeware options
http://www.fileguru.com/apps/net_nanny_parental_control/freeware
http://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/16/featured/5-best-free-parental-control-software.html

The other thing is to set up each person with their own login. Your login will have administrative rights and the other logins will not. If you allow the other logins to have administrative rights then they can simply uninstall the parental control software you install.

LOL...been there, survived (I hope) see above post. But it gets better, they do grow up and get more responsible or learn to fake it well enough for you to feel like you've won.

You can also get the password and change the password to the account so only you can sign him in to it and log out after. Set it up with your e-mail so even if he tries to change the password you will get an email notification of him trying to change it. If your son is anything like mine was/is, he already knows how to bypass whatever will be put in place. (mine is looking into computer programming and electrical engineering now, so he will use the powers for good soon I hope)

I think it would be easier swimming with sharks that having him giving me his password. :lol:

Oh and another thing we did when homeschooling was allowed for FB/internet breaks when XYZ was complete. Not sure if you have tried this already, but it helped some because it gave him some motivation and allowed him to have what he wanted and what I wanted. Maybe you an do it around finishing half or 1/3 of the homework and give 15 minutes or so (we set a kitchen timer)

Oh and another thing we did when homeschooling was allowed for FB/internet breaks when XYZ was complete. Not sure if you have tried this already, but it helped some because it gave him some motivation and allowed him to have what he wanted and what I wanted. Maybe you an do it around finishing half or 1/3 of the homework and give 15 minutes or so (we set a kitchen timer)

Exactly what I do. I give him during the week 15 minutes of facebook time when X is completed and 1 hour during the weekend after Y is done . The problem is that it is not enough time for him and I have to be making guard behind him otherwise he sneaks into FB.

Canadia is right, I just set my router to block facebook in his computer (he has to have one at school every day) and the **** thing is blocking every site not only facebook. I will look now into parental controls.
Thank you every one for your advice.

ETA:
I finally blocked facebook only using the parental controls of my router. When I type facebook.com on his computer the following shows:

Blocked Site. This website is blocked. Enter the parental controls password to make all blocked websites and content available for one hour.

So happy, now to see how he reacts to it because he is not going to be able to access FB tomorrow at school.

openDNS or edit .htacess though the latter is easier to reverse

We know our son's password so we could lock him out if need be; but we also have each computer password protected so in order to even get on a laptop in this house my husband or myself have to type in the password. Same with the tv, we have a password in order for them to use it. Now they know before they even ask that they need to have school done, rooms clean and any chores we deem necessary (lol) done before they can watch/play xbox/go on the computer. =)

ETA:
I finally blocked facebook only using the parental controls of my router. When I type facebook.com on his computer the following shows:

Blocked Site. This website is blocked. Enter the parental controls password to make all blocked websites and content available for one hour.

So happy, now to see how he reacts to it because he is not going to be able to access FB tomorrow at school.

Parental controls on your router will only control Internet access at home. I'm pretty certain it won't block Facebook at school, FYI.

Parental controls on your router will only control Internet access at home. I'm pretty certain it won't block Facebook at school, FYI.

Yes, I know. My problem was his use of facebok at home instead of doing homework. At school he uses facebook duing lunch time and before or after school and that is fine with me.

Oh! I am going through this whole dilemma right now, too! We home school and I am a techno idiot so this is becoming a very big problem for me. My ds8, the severely ADHD one, plays minecraft, watches minecraft on youtube, or does some kind of paint thing (probably drawing minecraft images) every chance he gets. I can't look away, go do the dishes, make lunch, etc.... without finding him doing this. I have some kind of Norton safety minder parental thing through Comcast, but I'm too much of a computer idiot to know how to use it. Last week I tried to block minecraft and ended up blocking my email site instead. I don't know how I did it, and now, since about two days ago my email site is no longer blocked. We home school, and I swear, it seems like a lot of ds12's friends must skype and play mine craft a good portion of the day. They couldn't possibly, but it sure seems like it. I don't allow either during school, but what did I see last week when my ds12 was in an online class? He had a little window open playing mine craft. My ds8 has been telling me the 12 year old does it, now I caught him. What is the worst is his continued denial. I think he admitted it for a minute or two but has gone back to denying it or being shadily evasive. Aaargh! I've been at my wits end with this whole issue, particularly for the last week - I guess because we have ds23 here and everyone must be getting antsy with the holidays and not feeling like working so much. MrsMelton, that is a good idea about giving them some time part way through the day. By the time the school day is over, we always have to rush out to some sort of activity so there never seems to be any time for them to play (online with school friends). I'm going to have to show my ds23 some of the ideas in this thread since dh and I seem to have no clue about what to do. I want to make use of his young techno savvy mind while he is here.

I went the other way....i created a fake FB to check up on DD and her friends. Even in this day and age 30+ of her friends friended me even though i dont exist....proud that DD did not. This way I can see/read whats going on without them knowing and whos not what they seem...

Oh! I am going through this whole dilemma right now, too! We home school and I am a techno idiot so this is becoming a very big problem for me. My ds8, the severely ADHD one, plays minecraft, watches minecraft on youtube, or does some kind of paint thing (probably drawing minecraft images) every chance he gets. I can't look away, go do the dishes, make lunch, etc.... without finding him doing this. I have some kind of Norton safety minder parental thing through Comcast, but I'm too much of a computer idiot to know how to use it. Last week I tried to block minecraft and ended up blocking my email site instead. I don't know how I did it, and now, since about two days ago my email site is no longer blocked. We home school, and I swear, it seems like a lot of ds12's friends must skype and play mine craft a good portion of the day. They couldn't possibly, but it sure seems like it. I don't allow either during school, but what did I see last week when my ds12 was in an online class? He had a little window open playing mine craft. My ds8 has been telling me the 12 year old does it, now I caught him. What is the worst is his continued denial. I think he admitted it for a minute or two but has gone back to denying it or being shadily evasive. Aaargh! I've been at my wits end with this whole issue, particularly for the last week - I guess because we have ds23 here and everyone must be getting antsy with the holidays and not feeling like working so much. MrsMelton, that is a good idea about giving them some time part way through the day. By the time the school day is over, we always have to rush out to some sort of activity so there never seems to be any time for them to play (online with school friends). I'm going to have to show my ds23 some of the ideas in this thread since dh and I seem to have no clue about what to do. I want to make use of his young techno savvy mind while he is here.
I know you have more to school, but the fact that other HS friends were on FB all day was what made me implement the "reward system". Also when DS took the online class with sycamore was when it was worse. My son was not capable at that time if setting boundaries for himself and I guess those kids were.

I went the other way....i created a fake FB to check up on DD and her friends. Even in this day and age 30+ of her friends friended me even though i dont exist....proud that DD did not. This way I can see/read whats going on without them knowing and whos not what they seem...

I've done that before, too. :lol:

Back